Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Wiper Switch Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Skaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, good lookin out.

-Kenneth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That adjustable resistor is used in conjuction with the "main" voltage dropping resistor to give me that 2nd speed. On high speed it's just the other resistor, on low speed it's both, and I can dial in the speed for the low fairly easily via the adjustment.

The heat is normal. That's exactly why you have to have high-wattage resistors, they'll burn up otherwise. That's why I have them hanging in the open there under the dash - better heat dissipation. They get hot because, basically, they are "burning" off half the voltage, leaving the other half for the wiper motor. I did not buy it from Radio Shack. I think it came from a place I used to work, we had a whole bunch of misc stuff around and that might have ended up with my stuff. You should be able to find them for sale from large electronics supply shops. I've seen them on ebay, like these 3 and 5 ohm varieties:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Ohm-25-Watt-Power-Resistor-A...dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Ohm-25-Watt-Power-Resistor-w...dZViewItem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
That's my diagram up there - not keith's. Wink

The resistors are not "colored" - they are high wattage ones, the little tiny ones you get at Radio shack will burn up in no time. Actually, one of them is a pair of high wattage resistors wired in parallel to achieve the resistance I wanted. The other is an adjustable resistor, which used so I could change it in winter time to get faster speeds out of it. This is what the variable one looks like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The resistor values, the That diagram is in my Gallery on the Samba, and here is the caption that goes along with it:

-Andy

I just had to put in a new switch on my 64. So the adjustable resistor is good for faster speeds, did you get that at radio shack also ? This being the first time I messed around with my resistor, I noticed that it was getting pretty hot. Is that normal or did I wire it wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be grounded at the switch where the escutcheon nut mounts at the dash. And the ground strip on the frame mount must be in contact with body. As the motor is braked by switching the current. If they are not grounded they will not turn off. They will only slow down a bit and run on after you turn off the switch. Then you have to pull wires to stop it. DL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69project
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Ground for wiper switch Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what "ground connected" in the wiper switch diagram means? I assume that because the wiper system is ground isolated and the switch is just switching ground that it means the terminal is connected when the switch is in the on possition. I just want to make sure.

Thanks,
jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo, sorry about the mix up on drawings. Both were very helpful. I am going to give it a shot this weekend. I hope that no sparks fly!!

Thanks.

62 Custom Beetle
1776cc w/Dual Dell 36 DRLA's
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my diagram up there - not keith's. Wink

The resistors are not "colored" - they are high wattage ones, the little tiny ones you get at Radio shack will burn up in no time. Actually, one of them is a pair of high wattage resistors wired in parallel to achieve the resistance I wanted. The other is an adjustable resistor, which used so I could change it in winter time to get faster speeds out of it. This is what the variable one looks like:

The resistor values, the That diagram is in my Gallery on the Samba, and here is the caption that goes along with it:

Quote:
Wiring Diagram I drew up showing the two-speed wiper switch from 1967 compared to the 1966/earlier setup. Also how to wire the two-speed switch to a single speed motor.

Also how to achieve two speeds when using a 6V motor on 12V, using a two speed switch and a single speed motor by using two separate dropping resistors.

On my car, I have resistor number 1 of about 1.3 ohms
Resistor number 2 is an adjustable resistor set at about 1.7 ohms.

With that setup, slow is only in the middle position of the switch. You get fast speed in position two and when it is self-parking

-Andy
jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet, what color resistor did you use? I'm kinda diggin' the two speed set up.

Thanks,

62 Custom Beetle
jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Very helpful. Very Happy

62 Custom Beetle
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See... "handy Andy" already had it all figured out and drawn up! Laughing Wink

Nice work as usual bro... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Switch Wiring Reply with quote

jign4bass wrote:
I ordered a new wiper switch for my 62 bug from WW. My wiper motor is 12v and has connections for 54d, 31b and 54. The switch has connections for 31(2ea.)., 31b, 53, 53a, 53b. My question is is what goes where?

Did you come across this diagram I drew up regarding using that switch combination?

Last edited by glutamodo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jign4bass wrote:
Pantone 149 were you able to find your drawings?

Thanks.

If he got both a 12 V 2 speed motor and switch then his will be wired the way the diagram I posted is... if you have a single speed motor and are trying to use the 2 speed switch then the numbers on your motor will not match up to the ones on that switch... but with test light or on the bench with a battery or battery charger you can easily work out what is what. I mean you only have a hot, a ground and the one speed hot...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pantone 149 were you able to find your drawings?

Thanks.

62 Custom Beetle
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went through the exact same thing. Got a 12 volt 67 motor and 2 speed 67 switch. I may have my notes staill at home. Will try to get you solid information tomorrow.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not mean you can't use it... use that diagram and hook it up so the motor runs on the firt click...
jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did, I guess. Kind of a novice, if you haven't noticed!! Thanks for the help.

62 Custom Beetle
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have gotten a later 2 speed switch?

jign4bass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Windshield Wiper Switch Wiring Reply with quote

I ordered a new wiper switch for my 62 bug from WW. My wiper motor is 12v and has connections for 54d, 31b and 54. The switch has connections for 31(2ea.)., 31b, 53, 53a, 53b. My question is is what goes where?

Thanks as always,
Rob

62 Custom Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: