Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jetta buying question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Jetta buying question Reply with quote

I am going to look at a 96 Jetta (GL, 4cyl 5 spd) tomorrow morning. I've got to get a better gas mileage car for service calls. Question(s) are: Is there anything in particular/known issues with these that I need to look at before I buy?

Oh, 130,000 miles and in pretty good shape inside and out. They're asking $2000.

Thanks,

Scott
( I searched before I asked! I have never owned a watercooled VW before)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too surprised there's not any "A3" (or mk3 as some call them) model info from a search. There's not a lot of late-model watercooled info here on theSamba. You might be better off at the VW watercooled site http://forums.vwvortex.com/

Issues with the A3? Nothing terribly specific that I can think of, mostly stuff I'd want to check with any car - leaks on and under the engine and power steering system, do a compression test (you have to have a proper tool to pull the spark plug wires off on these, or else you're likely to mess them up, by the way) drive it and check for wheel bearing noise and brake function. Take a look at the brake pad thickness up front. The Check Engine Light likes to come on on these vehicles for trivial and for sometimes non-existant reasons. The little plastic "funnel" that the oil dipstick fits into, these break easily but are cheap and easy to buy and replace. Make sure the A/C works and the dash vent options all function. When driving it, goose the gas pedal in every gear to check that it won't pop out of gear and that the clutch is holding good. Speaking of clutch, at 130k, ask them if the clutch has ever been done, if not, that's something you'll probably need to plan on doing in the future.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatics are weak

make sure the heater core has not been bypassed, they leak
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least his is a 5 speed. Better for gas milage too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 96 Jetta I bought new and it was a great car as long as it was in warranty. When it reached about 130000 miles it began to develop numerous and expensive problems.
There is a plastic trim piece at the botom of the windshield that is suppose to protect the electronic brain from getting wet. If it is cracked or missing beware. Whenever my car got wet in a hard rain it was out of commission for at least a day. Brain is expensive . I replaced mine 3 times (twice under warranty) but the problem persisted. Same goes for the coil packs. If these get wet the car is dead for a while. Weak automatic trans. If you must buy this car ask the owner if you can take it to a car wash and soak the motor. My bet is that you won't make it out of the bay. Water will aslo arc the plug wires and activate the check engine light. Finally the AC compressor failed and the car wjust wasn't worth fixing it. Rebuilt compressors were about 500 dollars. BTW The car looked rode and drove great. It was just a huge money pit and a hassle to keep it running in wet weather.
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I left to look at the car before you posted this morning.

I went ahead and bought it for $1900. Checked most things mentioned here before buying, and it ran and drove great on the way home (in some heavy rain, even). Hope it holds up!

Now off to the classifieds to try and find a Bentley manual for it.

Thanks for the info folks!

Scott
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 98 Jetta I bought for a friend of mine last winter has been good for her so far. It had 159K on when we got it, and she'd put probably 20K on it since then. I never saw the maintenance records for the previous owner so I don't know what all had been done before. But I started out by doing the timing belt and all the other belts, valve cover gasket, oil change, tune up, etc. Needed one rear wheel bearing replaced (so just did them all) But nothing serious beyond that. The CEL is on all the time, (says bad distributor, but it's not) Yeah the engine car wash thing is certainly true enough, happened to me too, but I think you can do that to most any modern car if you soak the plug wires.

Just don't try to pull off those spark plug wires without a proper tool to grip the metal bases down next to the head. If you pull them from the wires you'll mess them up. Here's what that tool looks like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spark-Plug-Boot-Too...enameZWDVW
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's got a few minor issues (CV joints and exhaust), but I'm very happy with it after driving it for several days. 34mpg and runs/drives great! It's gonna pay for itsself, compared to the F150 4WD I was using for service calls before.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's going good for you!!

ScottK wrote:
34mpg and runs/drives great! It's gonna pay for itsself, compared to the F150 4WD I was using for service calls before.

Yeah, they do get good milage. Good car to have for economy!
Why VW doesn't have an "economy" option for their new US models is completely mind boggling. That 115HP 2 liter engine was an excellent combination of power and economy.

They still use that engine in Mexico, but not in the US. And that's a beef of mine with VW these days. The way VW crams that big 2.5 liter 5 cylinder as a base engine into the new US/Canada Rabbit/Jetta models is ridiculous if you ask me, with today's economy of high gasoline prices. In England for instance, they offer 1.4, 1.6, 1.9 liter engines in gas and diesel varieties, with the largest offering is 2.0 turbo gas or diesels. Here in the US, your only options being the 150HP 2.5 and 200HP 2.0 turbo? Too darn much if you want economy.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife bought a '97 3 years ago, does great on gas, the coil quit on us on new years day,'05, but beyond that its been a great car, basic up-keep & very little down time while putting 65k miles on it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Glad it's going good for you!!

ScottK wrote:
34mpg and runs/drives great! It's gonna pay for itsself, compared to the F150 4WD I was using for service calls before.

Yeah, they do get good milage. Good car to have for economy!
Why VW doesn't have an "economy" option for their new US models is completely mind boggling. That 115HP 2 liter engine was an excellent combination of power and economy.

They still use that engine in Mexico, but not in the US. And that's a beef of mine with VW these days. The way VW crams that big 2.5 liter 5 cylinder as a base engine into the new US/Canada Rabbit/Jetta models is ridiculous if you ask me, with today's economy of high gasoline prices. In England for instance, they offer 1.4, 1.6, 1.9 liter engines in gas and diesel varieties, with the largest offering is 2.0 turbo gas or diesels. Here in the US, your only options being the 150HP 2.5 and 200HP 2.0 turbo? Too darn much if you want economy.

Same beef most of us have. I think that 's still a remnant of Peich's attempt to move VW into BMW- Mercedes territory. They don't want to hear that to Americans VW's were and are still seen more as relatively economical family cars. Where are all the TDI's the rest of the world enjoys. Why can't we get a Polo or Lupo?? I'd love either in a TDI just to drive to work and leave my W8 in the garage for nice days and family outing stuff.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: