Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver door lock mod?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Driver door lock mod? Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to mess with the driver door lock so it can be locked when the door is open (like the pass. side)?

Life would be so much easier if I didn't have to take the whole 6 1/2 seconds to close the door, stumble for the key and lock it from the outside every time... Rolling Eyes

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Interesting.
Both my Drivers and Passengers door locks have to be locked with a key.
What was done to yours to enable this?

Do you have Central Locking in your vanagon?

Matt
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I didn't specify...it's an 88 with manual locks. The passenger door can be locked with the little knobby while the door is open but the driver's can't...
And everything's stock so it hasn't been messed with......yet Cool ...

Interesting you need a key for the pass. door...what have you got in your van?

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very easy to "fix" the lock for the vanagons so that they are lockable from the inside. Once you figure out what you need to do it only takes 10 minutes to "fix" The only tool needed is a dremel tool with a pointy grinding stone. Once you have to removed the locking mechanism from the door and look at the working parts you will see that there is a metal tab that stops on a cam of the door lock if it is in the open position
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a better picture of the location of the offending metal tab that has to be removed from the mechanism.

Get out you trusty dremel and pointy grinding stone (this stone was a little too wide, but it did the job with minimal unwanted damage. Please note that you have to lift the spring out of the area to avoid unwanted damage to it.

Here is a better picture of the tab that needs to be ground off and the spring that if lifted out of the area to avoid damage.

What you are trying to do is grind the edge of the tab that touches the cam and make it weak enough to bend out of the way and break off. With bending it a few times it will fall off and you can finish grind where it broke off. Try not to take off too much material from the metal arm that it is attached to and spray the mechanism with your favorite lube before replacing it in the door. Also remenber to place a hide a key somewhere outside the van in case you accidentally lock the keys inside the van. I have done this mod to several vans with and without power locks and have never looked back. When I bought my last van the first comment GF made was that the locks had to be fixed of course the second comment is that I own too many cars. Good luck.

Mario
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to hiding a key, I gave up with those little magnetic hide-a-key holders years ago and have a spare key attached with a sheet metal screw to the underside of the body in an invisable but easily accessible place (I'll let you figure out where).

A pocket knife, screwdriver, or a dime will get you into the car. For me, it's even a two-step process, as the side door lock has been replaced so the key under the van is just the door. The actual ignition key is hidden elsewhere inside.

I haven't had to use it on the van yet (as I haven't done Mario's modification so I haven't locked the keys inside) but the open-it-with-a-dime has saved my patootee a number of times with previous vehicles.
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Mario, just what I was looking for!

Elliot

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play with the mechanism a little bit to simulate locking and unlocking and you will see the tab that needs to be ground off. I couldn't get a really good picture of the tab, but the pictures show you the area that it is located. You will never miss the way VW design the locks to work.
I have always put a hide-a-key somewhere under my cars because if I ever lock the keys in the car it is always at the worst possible time. I always look under a new to me car and usually find a spare in much better shape than the key given to me that I can make copies for backups. Good luck.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT mod. I followed your instructions and it worked out perfectly. I may actually start using my drivers side door rather than exiting from the slider all the time. Thanks!
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you "fixing" probably the smartest thing ever done to a vehicle? Laughing Just imagine how much money CAA(AAA) gives to the big three to make sure everyone else can lock their keys in the car, not ot mention Apple and other auto glass places.
I actually was telling the wife that I can't believe other manufactors haven't don this to their cars I've never locked myself out of a VW but have ruined many good coat hangers on other makes.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes are the same way. Brilliant. Because I live in a dry climate I like to keep the key in my hand anyway while I step out of the vehicle and then touch it to the latch post on the chassis so that the inevitable static shock is discharged there rather than to my hand when I go to shut the door.

Andrew
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have locked my keys in my vws only a few times in 21yrs. of owning various VW models. The vanagon is the only VW that I have owned with this feature built in- I have owned many aircooled VW's in the past. I don't like the feature and I found a better way that works for me. There is a reason that I put a hide-a-key under the van- although I was a licensed reposessor at one time and I could get into my car easily. Laughing

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never locked my keys in any of my cars, ever. But damn you for making me utter that statement because I'll now lock myself out before work tomorrow. Wink

Just keep a spare hidden somewhere outside the vehicle as was mentioned before and hopefully you'll never have to use it.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only locked keys in a car one time. It was a car that let you lock before you close the door.

I happen to like it.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ctilander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Vanagon dvr/psgr door actuator??? Reply with quote

My (new) 88 Vanagon GL wolfsburg weekender 2.1, drvrs/psngr door locks remain in the open position, I went to a locksmith and he recommended I take off the sliding passenger door handle (because it was easier to take off) to get the key number, I did, and he made a factory cut key. It now fit and operated the sliding door but the dvrs and pasngr door will now lock with doors open or closed. Rear hatch works fine. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you
buttonwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing!

Thank you so much for the detailed step-by-step!

I used the diamond wheel point attachment for my dremel -- it was the only attachment I had to get in there.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=7144

Now a passenger can lock their own door -- no funny exit procedure needed.

Cheers!
albertr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod can be done on EuroVan too! The lock is slightly different, but the same principle applies.

Here's the original EV lock:

Here it's cut half way through:

Mission accomplished! Took for me about 10 minutes with dremel to mod it. It's really very easy.

Next on my list is automatic lock/unlock mod.

-albertr
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys shoot the mechanism with WD-40 or somesuch upon completion of the mod?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danclark wrote:
did you guys shoot the mechanism with WD-40 or somesuch upon completion of the mod?

you probably should use some lube that is longer lasting and has a thicker film than WD-40 WD 40 is a little too wimpy, a grease or heavy oil would be good. Many of the locks I have worked on appear to be factory greased., but the grease does dry up after 40 years, good suggestion, but WD-40 is not the best for this

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triflow works well. I would avoid WD40.
Good luck
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door lock mod? Reply with quote

Got this done. Made a video about the locking mechanism and what to grind off: https://youtu.be/_UpPBrtWMQ0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: