Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preferred Engine Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegandavid wrote:
I have a TDI converted Vanagon.
. The Eurospec kit is $11,900 and a wiring harness is from Fast Forward is between $850 and $1100.

At the cheapest, that's $5950 not including the engine.

David

Wow,
ur prices knock me out !

The price for the ready mech TDI (with oil and intercooler) and maintained 4-g gearbox (4,57x0,7Cool
4000 €.

The TDI flywheel is modified, with TDI clutch and gearbox shaft.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
...Are you suggesting others here try doing the same, or what are you saying

I think he said it...

AndyBees wrote:
...For those who do not have the skills, time, space, etc., a package deal is definitely the best way to go!

Which is one reason why the $$$ (or €€€) vary so much when conversions are discussed. It is not a course to be embarked on lightly by those who rely on others for some or all of the work to be done.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
levi wrote:
...Are you suggesting others here try doing the same, or what are you saying

I think he said it...

AndyBees wrote:
...For those who do not have the skills, time, space, etc., a package deal is definitely the best way to go!

Which is one reason why the $$$ (or €€€) vary so much when conversions are discussed. It is not a course to be embarked on lightly by those who rely on others for some or all of the work to be done.

I think the reason why the costs vary is because one takes for forming a peace of metal 2 apples and the other 10.
Its called free market.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Well. ...that's real nice Andy, but seriously now, how many folks here on the samba do you think have the tools and capability to attempt a transmission rebuild?

Are you suggesting others here try doing the same, or what are you saying

Other than access to a press, I used common tools from my tool box...

I did use a pressure washer and compressed air to make things nice and clean. The Bentley manual has it all laid out.

I did not use a jig...................... precise marking with a good sharp tool allows all shifting parts to go back per factory setting!

It is not rocket science!

My biggest cost was the engine package from a donor vehicle!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
levi wrote:
Well. ...that's real nice Andy, but seriously now, how many folks here on the samba do you think have the tools and capability to attempt a transmission rebuild?

Are you suggesting others here try doing the same, or what are you saying

Other than access to a press, I used common tools from my tool box...

I did use a pressure washer and compressed air to make things nice and clean. The Bentley manual has it all laid out.

I did not use a jig...................... precise marking with a good sharp tool allows all shifting parts to go back per factory setting!

It is not rocket science!

My biggest cost was the engine package from a donor vehicle!

That's cool, is that all detailed in your TDI club thread?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before, I have the Mexican bell housing and there are good and bad things about it. For a syncro it might not be ideal because it pushes the engine back. Eurospec sells a 2wd front engine mount that pulls it forward, but obviously I can't use it.

There are good and bad things about both adapters.

But as far as awesomeness, this weekend I did 100 miles offroad and at least 50 of that was very slow and rocky. Coworker drove his good running Jeep XJ inline 6. We both filled fuel up in the same place before and after. I put in 5.6 gallons and he put in 9. I averaged 26 mpg for the trip.

Now it will take a long time to recoup all the cash spent on a TDI engine if you just go by how much you save at the fuel station. BUT, the ability to drive further into the wild than the other guy and not need to carry fuel is pretty much priceless.

And I won't do another TDI conversion without sending out the transmission to be built up before hand. Seriously, if you think your original ring and pinion or 3/4 gear slider is in good shape, you're probably drinking the Kool-Aid!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, most everything about the tranny rebuild is in the TDI conversion Thread. In fact, it's near the beginning of the Thread.

One correction: I did have to get a huge special socket to remove the pinion nut. I do not recall the name or number at the moment. But, I did find it on eBay.. an original VAG tool.

The ring and pinion in the tranny I used was just fine! The tranny is a DK with a November 1979 build date stamped on the bottom. I picked it up for $95.00 and put all the stuff in it mentioned above.

I recently purchased another one of those trannys and do plan to rebuild it replacing all the parts necessary. I've not settled on which set of 3rd and 4th gears I'll use.

I admit, I've not been into the later model 091 transmissions. I have rebuilt bug trannys and a couple of older model VW auto trannys!

Well, by the time we get back from the Alaska Road Trip, my tranny will have about 28k miles on it. We will have put over 10,000 of those miles on this trip! We are in a KOA at Great Falls, Montana at the moment!

One last note: Based on how well my TDI has pulled the 1250 pound camper, which is loaded with about another 200 lbs as well as all the stuff in the Van, I see no need to add larger injectors! The stock engine, turbo, intake, etc., with a Stage 1 Malone tune seems fine! I do plan to replace my exhaust system with a 2 inch set-up! I'm presently running a choked 1 and 7/8 inch system with the CAT. It looks as if my overall fuel MPG average will be slightly above 27 mpg on the trip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preferred engine swap is, well, the one I did. Laughing Just kidding but isn't that what everyone is saying? Very Happy
If you are reading this and are looking for an opinion so you can decide I think weight, the drive, condition and most of all the purpose need to be considered. For example if you have a Westy and want to travel you want to avoid high compression gas engines. Octane level sucks in many places around the world.
Or if you want a sports van don't use a diesel. But if you have a 2WD Westy fully loaded it will like lots of diesel torque. 4WD transmission might not like too much torque. Commuter or low cost high performance - probably Subaru.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a sports van?

Shameless opinionating below:

Gas - 1.8t

Diesel - TDI

y u rune klassik?
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What's a sports van?

Shameless opinionating below:

Gas - 1.8t

Diesel - TDI

OK, let's see... Smile if I was defining a "sports van" it would have to be a 2wd and "light" so no Syncros or Westies. It could be a Carat or GL, lowered, sway bars, and progressive suspension + disc brakes. Engine would have to be high revving and over 200hp. Something you can take to track but also use on the street. It would have to produce bellow 7 sec 0-60 and maximum speed of at least 120mph. My choice engine for sports van would be WRX.
Does 1.8T have stock ground clearance? If yes it could make the cut. Wink

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh...I prefer VWs

y u rune klassik?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy if you head down the kenai come by for a visit. Like to checkout your conversion. We'll have a beer and smoked salmon, or maybe a moose steak.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Hey Andy if you head down the kenai come by for a visit. Like to checkout your conversion. We'll have a beer and smoked salmon, or maybe a moose steak.

Man, I was on the Kenai two weeks ago!..... seriously! We popped the camper at Ninilchik, Alaska and bobtailed down to Homer!

EDIT: We had breakfast one morning in the Café at the famous location on Anchor Point, Alaska! Cool

We are still on the road. Just finished Day 27 (correction: Day 28 Very Happy ). We are in Gillette, Wyoming! We are heading for Sturgis, South Dakota tomorrow.

We saw several Westys in Yellowstone National Park yesterday. We drove out due to full campgrounds and lots of rain and wind! Shocked

The ALH TDI Vanagon has towed the Popup quite well. We are very near 10k miles on this trip! No major issues.

Sport Vanagon: ALH TDI, Malone Tune, etc., 0 to 90 in about 15 seconds (90 MPH is top safe speed with OE suspension, with no side wind, on flat road...LOL)

Last edited by AndyBees on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you're a rock star...take a bow

y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this thread be relabeled "TDI Lovefest". Laughing

Just kidding. I love me some TDI. It was my original choice, then the 1.8t weaseled its way into my thoughts.

Good to hear about your trailer experience Andy. I think those little popups tow pretty good behind a Vanagon, especially with the torque you command.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no dog in this show. all I can do is share what I have learned. What everyone here does is impressive. I used to go adolescent and boast of this or that, but that's too circular.
I just got back from Idaho and its a really powerful feeling to enjoy the fruits of your labor. that is, after you stop freaking out with every little sound youre not used to, like the high radiator fan coming on on the grapevine.
my little power kit ran flawlessly, only throwing 2 soft codes for Chrysler ac, which is like having phantom sensations of a limb that is gone. my heart pounded the first time it appeared, but left with a shut down for gas at some filling station.
I got 23 mpg with the cruise set at 65 in calm flat regions and dipped to 20.5 on hills and gales. my 4 wheel alignment was insufficient in the front because the shop tried to center the wheel without repositioning the steering shaft and I wore a front tire out in the process.
this is a 214 hp Chrysler v6 with Chrysler transaxle. she is very nice when you drive her easy--very smooth.
My brakes need a mod due to the eq valve caused the front brakes to be overworked on curvy steep mountain roads, [descending]-- they were smoking when I got out and seemed spongy ever since, so a bleed and a jegs brake eq valve is in order. that and I left my gas cap in chico....
the hard truth about some conversions is the insurmountable issue of unsmoggability. its all good work here, at the institute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try something new?

Maybe a BMW Twin Turbo Diesel?

They're some of the best diesel engines out there now.

Huge amount of torque but with very impressive mpg figures too.

I've done my fair share of engine conversions and the one thing that I would say. It has to have enough power to counter act the cost. This is more important to me than 5mpg.

There's nothing worse than having spent £££ and hour after hour only to think... it doesn't go well enough.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
It has to have enough power to counter act the cost. This is more important to me than 5mpg.

There's nothing worse than having spent £££ and hour after hour only to think... it doesn't go well enough.

MG

Says the guy with the S8 Bluestar! Laughing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem I see here (besides the self stroking TDI talk)
is that not everyone is even close to equals.
either in mechanical ability and shop equipment
or finances
or time
or willingness to spend XXXX months out and under a project
with dirt & grease up past their elbows away from family, friends, and other hobbies and activities.

then add in the secondary baseline requirements
enough HP to cruise? to pass? to haul @ss?
enough economy to justify (hahaha) the outlay of time & money
I never hear people break it down to miles per dolla just miles per gallon (diesel in my area is %12 more than 87octane)

too many variables to say what is a perfect equation.. and those who ask, then ask, then ask again will never take the plunge because it's just too hard to justify costs vs returns for the majority.

but Ben and the other conversion shops are BUSY BUSY people.. so
Subie, Bostig, 1.8T and even Tiico(FAST's variation) are the goto swaps.

the DIY guys have a myriad of swap options.. but not usually the preferred by the masses.. they beat to a different engine humm. be it Chrysler, Chevy V6, Nissan V6, Volvo, VR6, Audi I5 turbo etc..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so let's assume we drive two different vans 60,000 miles. One with a TDI at an average 28mpg (what I have averaged in mine over almost 2 years) and any conversion that will average 20mpg.

Numbers aren't out of line according to the fuel economy thread and this chart:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136963&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
In fact, my numbers are on the low side but I attribute that to weighing in at 5200 pounds with AWD and no intercooler and no chip.

Lets assume a $3.90 per gallon for diesel and $3.60 gallon for regular gasoline. Both prices are higher than current average and don't forget to run premium in those conversions that require it!! http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

60,000 miles divided by 28 mpg equals 2,143 gallons

60,000 miles divided by 20 mpg equals 3,000 gallons

2,143 gallons at $3.90 equals $8,357.70

3,000 gallons at $3.60 equals $10,800.00

Last time I checked, that's about $2,500 difference in price. And honestly I think 20mpg is being pretty conservative, for me at least. I do a lot of off road driving and still average the same with my TDI and gasoline cars efficiency drops off road.

Now lets talk about maintenance over that period. I'll leave oil changes out of it because they will vary widely depending on personal preference. Maybe I'll calculate it out later...

Leading up to 60K, the TDI will require two air filters and two fuel filters, each at 20k. At about 70k a timing belt will be required as well. And looking into the future, pumps and turbos seem to last anywhere from 150k to 200k miles.

For the gasoline engine, two air filters and one to two fuel filters will be needed depending on condition of your fuel tank and vapor tank grommets. These fuel filters might cost less than the diesel ones but often times you have two, pre-pump and post-pump filter. Spark plugs will need changing at least once, maybe twice. Cap, rotor, wires, coil packs may also need to be done. Also depending on engine conversion, head gaskets, timing belt, or timing chains might need to be done.

So being less maintenance and better fuel economy, you can see why diesels are awesome. They don't have to be expensive to install or take years to do. But I know not everyone is a fan of diesel and you don't have to be!

edit: I forgot to mention that diesels typically aren't required to have emissions done, so at least for me, it saves me around $20 every year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: