Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you work on your bus this weekend?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: What did you work on your bus this weekend? Reply with quote

I have pulled the engine and tranny so I can rebuild the tranny but spent this weekend fixing rust! This is a epoxy primer I have sprayed over the bare metal. Next is touch up with bondo to smooth out any blemishes and sanding primer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good, are you staying w/ the same color after?

i fiddled w/ the ignition, and found my air-fuel screw had been set full in, so it's been rich i guess. I backed it off 1/2 a turn to lean. This was set by a rebuilder i think, i'm sure he worked on it along w/ everything else. He was having a bit of a problem with the idle when i went to pick it up after rebuild. I found the timing set to about 12* BTDC and reset it, then later worked on dwell, reset and reset the timing again to 7.5 BTDC. These took place over several weeks of slow driving, listening to it, and reading here, and looking at what the rebuilder had done, and working on everything else.

Only have about 100 miles on the rebuild as have been refurbishing brakes, and shocks are due next week, so next week's project will be shocks.
Considering an electronic ignition as advertised on the classifieds here:
Hot Spark. I'm running a 2.0L FI w/ hydraulic valves and wonder how it might help w/ temps, fuel savings, etc.

i did take it on a short hop one town over one evening, about 35-40 miles roundtrip, and checked the engine once i was home ... it was cool as the night air. I hope it is a good sign.

good luck w/ your paint job. I'm going to have to develop some skills w/ sander/primer/bondo also one day...
dp
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dweller keep a close eye on temp. If it has been running rich it runs cooler I believe. And a new motor will be tight for a while. Good thing winter is coming may help keep it cool while breaking it in. Check the plugs to see if they are brown or black. Always a good way to keep track of rich/lean state. And make sure they are all the same colour. Look at that a can't remember now if it is color or colour. The spell check is set for USA English and not Canadian English. So I have lost a whole bunch of words. lol

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bay74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned by bus and got it looking great for the first day of school tomorrow!
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
dweller keep a close eye on temp. If it has been running rich it runs cooler I believe. And a new motor will be tight for a while. Good thing winter is coming may help keep it cool while breaking it in. Check the plugs to see if they are brown or black. Always a good way to keep track of rich/lean state. And make sure they are all the same colour. Look at that a can't remember now if it is color or colour. The spell check is set for USA English and not Canadian English. So I have lost a whole bunch of words. lol

thanks buddy, i will keep an eye on it. I just want to wait til the 300 mi. checkup/oil change and pull the plugs and check compression and everything else that i can come up with. And drive it slow and steady until then.

nothing lost in translation, thanks and peace to you.
dp
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to repaint it Sage Green but probably not until spring...just don't have the time to do now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I....

Installed a new aux battery
Changed the oil
Adjusted the valves
Put in a new air filter
Checked the tranny fluid level
Filled the steering box
Checked timing and dwell
Checked tire pressures
Washed the bus
Waxed the bus
Installed a new cb radio
Drove around a little bit

I think thats all.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northstate Trev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rejetted my webers, and spruced up the rear cargo area by painting the tire cover and finally intsalling the screws with the caps on the trim panel on each side.
72 Super Beetle Baja Champion SE
73 FI Squareback
59 Willys pick-up
38 Plymouth Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic points conversion in my opinion is the way to go. When I had my '72 and '73 bugs I carried a dwell meter with me in the car. I think twice mine broke down because of points and I don't know how many times I set someone else up. I also carried an extra set of points with me. Electronic may be a one time large expenses but will pay off down the road so to speak.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it to college, 3.5 hours, no problem. Moved in to the dorm, then left the poor bus next to his new friend, a red squareback.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee where do you start on what did you do to your ride. I bought the 1975 for $450.00. It has sat in a barn for 15 years and then in a garage parking lot for 5 years. So 20 years ago the motor went down and the guy parked it. So it is an everyday adventure. The thing is in good shape but I need to learn how to mig weld and body work. Anything electrical or mechanical I can handle. I bought the '82 2.0L from a guy that had it rebuilt 12 years ago and then pulled it out of the bus 11 years ago. Then he sold off all the FI stuff. So I have been buying '79 FI stuff to put back on to see if it even runs, then to convert the fan shroud and motor mounts to fit into a '75. Just the reading alone is 8 hours a day. My wife calls it the mouse house. All the years in the barn took it's toll. Clean, clean, clean. I can't wait to get to a routine maintenance. That'll be fun. lol

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been starting the process of removing my engine and tranny in my '72. I only have a few hours a day, and i've never taken one out before, so it's taking me a while.

Are there any special tricks i should know when i want to remove the engine and tranny together? I need to take them both out so i can swap in new ones.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the windshield out of my 74 Westy and poked holes in the rusty metal on the bottom lip . Time for a trip to Harbor Freight to get a welding blanket!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
I've been starting the process of removing my engine and tranny in my '72. I only have a few hours a day, and i've never taken one out before, so it's taking me a while.

Are there any special tricks i should know when i want to remove the engine and tranny together? I need to take them both out so i can swap in new ones.

Pull the axles out first as ya gotta repack the CVs anyway. Drain the gastank and then support the engine/tranny with a jack. Undo the 8 bolts and it drops out.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dragged a used front suspension for our 74 Westy in the shop & took it apart to a bare beam. It's going to replace the current (c)rusty one. After removing the undercoating on the new one, I was pleasantly surprised to see how preserved this beam is- including white factory #'s printed on the shock towers.
redriviera74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 5 rims and 2 rear bumper brackets back from the sandblaster on friday. Spent this weekend shooting several coats of primer on all those parts. Inbetween that I removed carbs, manifolds, heaterboxs, and alot of tin in preparation for the big engine and transaxle pull for rebuild. All and all a productive weekend which also included kids soccer, family stuff, and lots of other "life" things.......
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced the gasket between the carb and intake. and revved the motor some...that's about it...oh and i cleaned out the interior to get ready for a camping trip this weekend.

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my fuel sending unit to get my gas guage working again! Easy job because someone before me cut a hole above the tank to get to. Just push the metal flap back down and caulked it up then duct taped it. Now I'm driving around and watching how this one will behave (they are all particular these gas guages) Smile
moxnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked at a rusty rocker I discovered under some old bondo and then replaced the clips on the passenger rear wheel so I can put the hubcap back on...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh - where do I even BEGIN?

First off - my slider fell off - not because of a mal-adjustment like last time - but because the rear hinge assembly sheared off inside the door - causing the lower front roller to shear off as well. So I spent all day Saturday tracking down the rear hinge assembly (THANK YOU CHRIS of VOLKSTOP!!!). Got one, along with the lower roller, and hooked it all back up. Door shuts better than ever now!

Then I cleaned up the engine compartment a little. Cleaned up my wiring in anticipation of the Mallory coming in soon - and also installed some new heater hoses.

Then cleaned out my interior - and went for a solo camp up Mt. lemmon - ahhhhhh - nice.

Then drove back to Bisbee --- 300 miles this weekend.

1963 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: