Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cleaning out sludge in a old motor
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: cleaning out sludge in a old motor Reply with quote

HI all,
I just revived a 5 year sitting 1600 single port motor that i got for $50!
rebuilt the carb, checked the endplay and got it fired right up, runs amazing, strong compression, definetly better than the 1600 dp i had.

My question is when I took the oil plate off there was a good layer of sludge built up and I figure it is all over the bottom of the case.
I cleaned the oil plate but would like to clean the rest of it out.
Is there a good detergent oil or additive I can use to get it out or once it is loose it would just travel all over and wreck the motor...
Oil currently is rotella 15/40.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added ATF and Risolene with pretty good results.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of using ATF before, how long would you run it in there and then change the oil?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
I heard of using ATF before, how long would you run it in there and then change the oil?

I ran it for a couple hundred miles but i only used a .5 quart.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: cleaning case Reply with quote

I use gunk engine cleaner. You add it to the oil and let the motor idle for 5 mintues (no load, don't drive it, just idling in the driveway). Drain the oil and add new oil. I once started a 1500 that had been sitting 10+ years. Drained the sludge/oil, added new oil and a can of gunk, ran the motor, drained the oil and repeated the process. After two runs of oil and gunk cleaner, the motor was clean and I added fresh oil and a new battery, some brake fluid (pumped the brakes up) and drove it home...my first bus...it now belongs to Eric K. in Colorado.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh. You put Gunk in an engine. And you ran it to boot? I didn't know you should put it any where but on the outside of stuff or soaking stuff then hose it off. Old timers used to say to leave the sludge alone and run non detergent till a rebuild. I don't even know if anyone still sells non detergent.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Birdmanhere wrote:

I ran it for a couple hundred miles but i only used a .5 quart.

This is the method I was taught 30 years ago. It works.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will get plenty of opinions when it comes to removing sludge from your motor. you could remove the top cylinder covers and check for mice nests under the tin, also blocking the cooler. after 5 years i would bet there was something under there. remove the cooler and flush it out with gas/kerosene. you could also remove the valve covers and use carb cleaner to remove what is in there. best thing you can do is really baby that motor and stay off the freeway until it has a few hundred miles on it. stick to short drives of 20-30 minutes at a time and allow for a cool down in between. keep a check on the oil and change it as soon as it gets dirty. could be 50 miles, could be 200. the 15-40 rotella oil should be fine.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
you will get plenty of opinions when it comes to removing sludge from your motor. you could remove the top cylinder covers and check for mice nests under the tin, also blocking the cooler. after 5 years i would bet there was something under there. remove the cooler and flush it out with gas/kerosene. you could also remove the valve covers and use carb cleaner to remove what is in there. best thing you can do is really baby that motor and stay off the freeway until it has a few hundred miles on it. stick to short drives of 20-30 minutes at a time and allow for a cool down in between. keep a check on the oil and change it as soon as it gets dirty. could be 50 miles, could be 200. the 15-40 rotella oil should be fine.

When i got it I took everything off leaving it a long block, power washed the longblock and all the tin with a treatment of castrol super clean, cleaned out the valve cover, adjusted the valves, timing, endplay, put all the new stuff from my old motor on(dist, fuel pump, alt, exhaust etc)
There were some mice nest in there got them out.
put it all back together, dumped the oil that was in it out and cleaned the screen, filled it up and changed it again in about 50 miles, oil was still clean and no new particles in the screen.
Runs good and cool, just want the sludge out.
Going to go get some ATF and give it a try
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: