Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yosteveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures) Reply with quote

Well... you forgot to hold you tongue to the left during this whole process..hahaha That is very detailed thank you so much jlrftype7!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures) Reply with quote

yosteveo wrote:
I would like to know his tricks, from what I read and been told, you can’t remove and reinstall the tranny without removing the differential too? Something about not being able to line up the pump shaft or the spline for the torque converter. If there’s a trick I need it now lol. 🙏
. I’ve removed the Automatic Section multiple times without dropping the whole transaxle. It is easier to remove the whole assembly for safely reinstalling the parts and getting them aligned correctly , that’s true though. But the trans by itself can be safely done too.
You need,,, to lower the drivetrain downward to an angle that will allow the automatic section to clear the sheet metal of the Vanagon, while pulling the automatic section forward towards the front of the vehicle , away from the final drive. If you have the stock cooler at the end of the trans, you can remove it once the the trans is low enough along with the front mount.
You need to monitor the pump shaft as you pull the automatic down and away, don’t let it bind up inside the hollow shaft that surrounds it. It’s a delicate dance of those three things, support the final drive and engine assembly with a separate support, lower the transmission with a trans jack or floor jack, and watch your pump shaft as you get the trans further apart from the final drive.

Install time, you need to know the end shim thickness needed between the final drive and transmission. Refer to Bentley pages on that.
Remove that cooler if you didn’t already, you’ll need the view through the top port in the case to watch the pump shaft as it fits into the oil pump drive flange piece. Same drill, in reverse.
Fresh O-Ring for the end of the transmission, the big one.
Put the metal shims on the shaft that you measured for earlier. Use thick trans lube that will allow the shims to stick to the final drive side , out of your way. Pump shaft will be loose .
It tends to slide backwards towards the pump since the angle is still downward .
You should be able to install the pump into the oil pump, the splines will need to be fully into the drive piece, visible from that top port hole on the trans case, which leaves getting the other end of the shaft up into the front of the torque converter.( at this point the pump shaft sticking way out looks like a swordfish,,,)Guide the pump shaft with your fingers, adjust the angle as needed while jacking the transmission toward the final drive.
With care and luck you keep the pump shaft engaged fully in the oil pump, use needle nose pliers if it gets hung up to get it loose once you’re really close to mating the trans with the final drive.

Pop the trans into the final drive, you may need to use a finger on the outside of the torque converter, rocking it a bit back and forth to get shafts to seat, and allow the trans to be bolted up to the final drive .
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
yosteveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures) Reply with quote

I would like to know his tricks, from what I read and been told, you can’t remove and reinstall the tranny without removing the differential too? Something about not being able to line up the pump shaft or the spline for the torque converter. If there’s a trick I need it now lol. 🙏
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures) Reply with quote

yosteveo wrote:
so did the op only remove the tranny or did he remove tranny and final drive at that campground,, so curious ,..
. You probably missed it, but in his 1st paragraph, he removed just the Autotrans portion off the final drive..
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
yosteveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Campground Tranny rebuild.(a bit long but with pictures) Reply with quote

so did the op only remove the tranny or did he remove tranny and final drive at that campground,, so curious ,..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: doing an automatic on a park bench? Reply with quote

Well done, I know a mechanic who was an Isrealie war vet, Mosha was your type of a mechanic - his only problem was that he had to work on the floor as he had no sence of balance. It is really a test of character to make things happen. in the face of adversity - I have an 84 WBX with a 1.9 L and automatic - I have the engine torn down to nothing, waiting on parts. [email protected]
blaze80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Herman!! Your quick reply is helping me a ton!
-Bob
/// '92 mk2 Jetta GL 8v (SOLD)
/// '89 'Bluestar' (SOLD)
/// '04 Audi S4 (SOLD)
/// '99 Jetta GLX VR6 (SOLD)
/// '84 Vanagon GL (SOLD)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: 84 vanagon auto Reply with quote

Kinda dumb question. I have a DH -- 1.9 engine, I will be putting it back together with in a week or two.

I have one broken stud outboard off the head and the filter side and a gouged stud second from the end on the other side. I am looking for a real stud that I can use to replace the two damaged studs. Anybody change out damaged studs - not using and easy out.

The transmission (90) is totally full of transmission fluid I did a train out of a chevy power glide many moons ago. I am concerned about the stock transmission cooler. I have seen several articles in Westy about a $300.00 Transmission heater/cooler with thermostadt. I have installed several like 3-400 aftermarket coolers out at the Goldstone Tracking Station on many Ford/Chevy and Dodge vans. It was recommended that the cooler bypass the radiator on fords and chevys - These vehicles were hot shifted 3 trips a day at !00 MI each. I was there from 1/2/1980 to 7/1/1985. I am wondering about pulling the factory cooler off the vanagon and running the aftermarket cooler - without benefit of the heat from the engine to warm up the transmission. Is the VW transmission cooler over engineered? With the weight of a T-25 about 3000 pounds, it would seem that there would not be a problem of running the traini too cold. [email protected] 816-220-8800 Razz
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the •VW 010, 087, 090 are all essentially the same but the case often differs slightly for mount studs or cooler lines.. ie. the van has cooler lines inthe case out the nose. the Golf&Audi has cooler mounted to the differential section..

heres some parts listings that may haelp show the differences. the internals are the same except the Audi 5000/200 Turbo ATs had the extra planetary gear (4) and friction plate

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=VW-010

parts blow up for the 3 differentials.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-010.pdf

Do you happen to know if the governor from an 010 will work in the 090?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the •VW 010, 087, 090 are all essentially the same but the case often differs slightly for mount studs or cooler lines.. ie. the van has cooler lines inthe case out the nose. the Golf&Audi has cooler mounted to the differential section..

heres some parts listings that may haelp show the differences. the internals are the same except the Audi 5000/200 Turbo ATs had the extra planetary gear (4) and friction plate

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=VW-010

parts blow up for the 3 differentials.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-010.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itzdshtz wrote:
Hi camrenj, yes parts of this tranny are usable for a Vanagon.
It is the 010 tranny and was in Golfs and Jetta's from 1985 - 1992

So there is the 010 tranny and the 090. Is it true that the 090 is what was stock in Vanagons, but the 010 is extremely similar and was used in many other VWs...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DjD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: VW Vanagon (T25) automatic gearbox clunk engaging reverse Reply with quote

We have a 1985 T25 (Vanagon Westy) here in UK with 1.9 watercooled and a 090 automatic 3 speed with standard ATF cooler. All works fine when cool / warm but when hot we get a severe clunk when engaging reverse gear.

A almost bought a 20 year old unused Audi 80 3 speed autobox with diff on ebay as it was unused and new with clear red ATF and complete with converter- but now realise it id not have the ATF cooler - so I guess all I could used would be the internals of the automatic

Our ATF changed and topped up diff - but will soon change diff oil - there is no sump drain so diff pan has to come off. I will squirt with a syringe some UV joint grease into CV joints and try and adjust 2nd gear band. The other check is a pressure test on the automatic stationary in P/N.

Any suggestions to determine what this reverse gear clunk is when hot appreciated

All best for Christmas from Dave in UK
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this thread!!!

Im amazed this guy did this in a campground!

I sent my auto to GTA, got the 3.73 and the LSD, its real nice. I'm wondering now.. dang.. I really wanted to put a TDi on this.. perhaps I'm going to have to check into that automatic unit.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

So reving up that high... going up big mountains in lower gears...more power with the zetec engine....to keep up with traffic!

Thanks for the info on the red line - very helpful!

Phil
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tach in an 1986 Audi 5000 turbo redlines at 6300 or 6400.

So I would think it would be good for 6500.

Why would you want to rev your engine that high?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff

Ahhh thanks.... that helps.

Do you know the rpm red line for the Audi5000 Turbo w/ auto tranny?

Was curious if I could run the van at higher rpm (running speed of 4000rpm rpm with bursts up to 6500rpm) with a new ring and pinion, matched with an Audi trans... without blowing up the tranny.

thx.

PHil
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audi trans has 4 planetary gears which has nothing to do with how many speeds the trans has.
The ones that work in are vans are all three speeds with the final gear ratio of 1 to 1.

The Audi trans has more clutch disc and the 4 gear planetary gear(not 4 speed) which makes them stronger.

If German trans makes a new ring and pinion, matched with an Audi trans is about the best we can get for are vans.

Jeff
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - so I'm a bit confused....

Harmon wrote:

Hi Jeff, basically all the 5 cyl turbo engines in the 5000/100/200 had the stronger 4 pinion planetary sets in there up to 1991, after that they got the electronic 4 speed automatics which are totally different.

All the non turbo engines came with the 3 pinion planetary transmissions.

The early V8 Audi's were all quattro's and used a different transmission.

Herman

It sounds like the turbo trans was a 4 speed...

Basically I am running a Zetec engine and it revs up to 7000+ and the current auto trans is not so good above 4000rpm (things flying apart issues...) and going up hills would be good to use the higher rpms that the engine can provide....

On a side note...German Transaxle of America,inc said today...

Phil,

We are working on getting some of these 3.73 r/p for Vanagon Autos made, but they won't be available for a couple of months. I will check with Ken on the possibility of getting some more custome ratios made like the 3.25 you mentioned.
We are populating a list of people interested in them when we get them in and I will put you on it to call when they arrive, or to let you know a more specific timeline on their availability.
Thank you for keeping in touch with us, we hope you have a great day.

Sarah
German Transaxle of America,inc
[email protected]

So the thought was to use the Audi5000 Turbo auto tranny and a lower r/p maybe 3.25... but need to find out the gear ratio of the Audi5000 Turbo and do a little calcualtion to see the best r/p ratio would be coupled with the zetec engine...

Does anybody know the tranny gear ratio for the Audi5000 Turbo? I just ordered a shop manual but it won't be here for a few weeks.......

Thanks!

Phil
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 3 speed just like are van's.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few questions on the 100/200/5000Turbo auto tranny swap...

1) so if I read this correctly then the Audi is is a 4 spd transmission - is that right?
- for the shifter up front - is there any modification that need to be made?
- so still the same shifter configuration so P N R D 2 1 or is it P N R D 3 2 1???

2) Do you know the gear ratio is for the 4 gears on the audi tranny?

3) Has anybody do the Audi 4 sp auto trany converion? Did it work OK? Any issues?

Thx.

Phil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: