Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump Block Off Plate ( Type IV )
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Block Off Plate ( Type IV ) Reply with quote

Ok......It's been a long time since I've posted, but I need advice.

I was wondering if anyone makes or sells a block off plate for a type
IV engine. After removing the fan shroud to check for oil leaks, at the main bearing seal or oil cooler (as the whole engine is covered in oil) , I realized that the old abandoned fuel pump was about to fall off!

I tightened it up, but oil was still getting through the old diaphram and out on the ground. I looked for, but could not find a block off plate.......So I made my own. I used plenty of high-temp permatex, and glued that beotch on there. I am concerned however in my lack of correct fabrication tools, ( I used an old gate hinge and a hack saw). It is holding at the moment!!!

Any points in the right dirrection would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy

Peace

p.s. yes I searched the forums
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a plate offered, I've made them for other things in the past from 1/4" aluminum plate, easy to cut and file.

I think you have to leave the push rod in there to maintain oil pressure though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Thanks! (the BN4 is still making heat)

busdaddy wrote:
I have never seen a plate offered, I've made them for other things in the past from 1/4" aluminum plate, easy to cut and file.

I find it odd that everyone makes type I plates....... Sad And NO type IV? WTF?

busdaddy wrote:
I think you have to leave the push rod in there to maintain oil pressure though.

There was no push rod in there......that too I found odd, But it could have been the thing that was making all that noise on my last road trip. The clunking lasted about 150 miles, then the oil leak began. Maybe the push rod was the culprit, and now is resting inside the case?

It took me 52 quarts, (yes 52!) and two days too get back from Montana. I didn't have the time or the tools to fix it in a rest stop. My dog Moses however, did enjoy stopping every 25 miles to add oil.

Thanks
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use a type 1 blockoff plate.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a T1 plate. It's the shiniest piece on the entire engine. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... and yes, I did this the correct way with the cut pushrod behind there. Wink

Last edited by Mark on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby has them, check out the Type 4 Store, they are really nice, just got two of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themarshotel7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the thing about keeping the pushrod in there. I have driven 30,000 miles without one and never had any problems.
1991 Fox
"Going wrong this curve set up for that unless you got a flat or suspension change even but what I found out was I could throw anything into reverse under ten miles an hour aw gosh good old granny you can allways tell by the fear in your belly how limited y'ar."
-Neal Cassady
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pushrod blocks the oiling hole in the pushrod bore, without it oil pressure escapes when it could be doing something constructive.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type4store.com has billet aluminum block-off plates for under $8 each and they come with the gasket at no extra charge. Very Happy

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running a previously fuel pump equipped case with the block off installed but without the pushrod in place WILL drop the operating pressure of the oil galleys that feed the lifter bores.

If you have been running without the pushrod in place you have been seeing much less oil volume and opressure to the lifter bores and that same oil is what feeds the entire valvetrain as it is delivered through the lifters, up the pushrods and into the rockers and around their shafts up to the valve adjusters finally lubing and cooling the valve springs and guides.

The valvetrain is the point of most catastrophic failures- don't forget that.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
running a previously fuel pump equipped case with the block off installed but without the pushrod in place WILL drop the operating pressure of the oil galleys that feed the lifter bores.

If you have been running without the pushrod in place you have been seeing much less oil volume and opressure to the lifter bores and that same oil is what feeds the entire valvetrain as it is delivered through the lifters, up the pushrods and into the rockers and around their shafts up to the valve adjusters finally lubing and cooling the valve springs and guides.

The valvetrain is the point of most catastrophic failures- don't forget that.

Yeah...what he said!

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: