Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why can't I fix my own transmission?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Why can't I fix my own transmission? Reply with quote

I have an 86 Syncro that has about 254,000 miles on the odometer. The transmission is original and is starting to show its age but still operates very well.
Before the 3rd 4th gear disaster strikes I'd like to take the tranny apart and replace the worn/suspect items. I realize there are specialty tools that I need to buy and research to be done... but I'm confident I can learn to do this.
Anyone out there that can give me some pointers or past experience would be clutch!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch? I thought you wanted to fix the tranny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Poor choice of slang... my mistake. Please replace with any of the following:
(helpful, appreciated, great, awesome, nice, excellent, etc. )

Come on! No one out there has heard of something being clutch? Man, I'm either getting old or this is a rough crowd. Shocked

So does anyone have any input for a guy just itching to work on a tranny???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I had the jigs so I could do it myself, but it's too much to invest for just my own use. If I had them I'd be excited to take it on. It would be fine to be able to change gearsets myself to set up a tranny for a particular engine and how I want to use it. But I'm afraid I don't have any insights into your problem. I've always had to farm out all but the most basic tranny repairs just like you. And it's a mystery to me how an automatic works.

I understood your idiom. You just set yourself up so perfectly I couldn't resist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a place to start. http://www.longenterprises.com/ They can source any parts/tools you need. Some of the basics are covered in their diagrams and the various rebuilder CD's. Contact them. I'm sure they can get you going on Syncro specifics as well.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 20 ton press, the special tool to take off the side bearing adjusters, the special tool to take the big nut off the pinion bearing, some means of holding the trans while removing and replacing the above nut, because it takes about 200 ft-lb to get it loose, heavy straight snap ring pliers, a press fixture to support the intermediate plate, while pushing the mainshaft out of the front bearing, A special fixture to hold the pinion while removing its special nut.
094 5 speeds require a couple of gauges to set the 1st gear end play. I've never done a syncro, so don't know exactly what is different from the 5 speeds.
Then you need a dial indicator and fixtures to check the lash of the ring and pinion.
Oh, yeah, a special torque wrench that reads very small amounts on a continuous basis to check the pinion bearing preload.
Then if you replace the case or the ring and pinion, you need a VW385 setter.
That's about $2500.
Have you rebuilt trannies before?
This is a pretty rough one to start on.
If you have alot of experience fixing this sort of stuff, you can probably get by without some of the special tools. But boy, do they make the job easier!
Where are you located?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think this transaxle topic is 23 skidoo, cool, groovy, out-o-sight, dino-mite, and just plain happenin'

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast! I don't have a 20 ton press... only thing that comes close is my french press...

Well i guess thats why they cost 1799.00 for rebuilds...
Confused

I'm in Telluride, Colorado Al. Where do you hail from?

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You paid eighteen-hundred bucks to get your French press rebuilt? Man, that is some desperate coffee!

Sorry, did it again. Can't help myself.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's Telluride. They're used to those kind of prices. Laughing
'96 BMW R1100GS
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
You need a 20 ton press, the special tool to take off the side bearing adjusters, the special tool to take the big nut off the pinion bearing, some means of holding the trans while removing and replacing the above nut, because it takes about 200 ft-lb to get it loose, heavy straight snap ring pliers, a press fixture to support the intermediate plate, while pushing the mainshaft out of the front bearing, A special fixture to hold the pinion while removing its special nut.
094 5 speeds require a couple of gauges to set the 1st gear end play. I've never done a syncro, so don't know exactly what is different from the 5 speeds.
Then you need a dial indicator and fixtures to check the lash of the ring and pinion.
Oh, yeah, a special torque wrench that reads very small amounts on a continuous basis to check the pinion bearing preload.
Then if you replace the case or the ring and pinion, you need a VW385 setter.
That's about $2500.
Have you rebuilt trannies before?
This is a pretty rough one to start on.
If you have alot of experience fixing this sort of stuff, you can probably get by without some of the special tools. But boy, do they make the job easier!
Where are you located?
Al

Yup. That's a $h!#load of special tools. But, a little ingenuity can go an awfully long way when it comes to making reasonable facsimilies. Heck, that's half the fun. A hydraulic shop press can be had pretty reasonably from someplace like Harbor Freight. Yeah, it's not pro-shop quality but for the home hobbiest, it'd be fine. The Bentley shows a lot of very special fixtures for holding dial indicators in the right spot for checking end play etc. but there's ALWAYS a way to jig up an indicator. Way back in the day, when I was messing around with bug trannys you were supposed to use a special jig to set up the shift forks. I found an old trans case and jig-sawed some big a$$ holes into it and used the case as my jig. That was fun. Anyway, I totally agree that this would be a challenging trans to work on especially if you've never done one before. I'm thinking about picking up a used one somewhere and tearing into it just for the fun of it. Mine's currently got 170K on it and the 3-4 slider's still original but it's working great. I'd like to just have one to mess around with and take my time. Then, when it's done, I could do a swap, go through my orig tranny and sell the sucker.
'96 BMW R1100GS
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:

A hydraulic shop press can be had pretty reasonably from someplace like Harbor Freight. Yeah, it's not pro-shop quality but for the home hobbiest, it'd be fine. The Bentley shows a lot of very special fixtures for holding dial indicators in the right spot for checking end play etc. but there's ALWAYS a way to jig up an indicator. Way back in the day, when I was messing around with bug trannys you were supposed to use a special jig to set up the shift forks. I found an old trans case and jig-sawed some big a$$ holes into it and used the case as my jig.

I'm not very fond of most of that Harbor Freight stuff. I used a 15 ton Harbor Freight press that belonged to a friend It would pop the parts apart, but deflected so bad, it was scary.
Last winter I got an OTC (Made in Owatonna, Minnesota- just up the road from here!) 25 ton, on Ebay for $250, plus shipping from Chicago. This thing is a BEAST! No deflection here!
Every once in a while, good used American made stuff comes up on auctions. One I missed went for about $1000, but had about 300lb of fixtures. Bearing splitters, support blocks, drivers, etc. That stuff is incredibly expensive.
Sure, you can daydream about that cheap Chinese stuff, and it MIGHT be good enough to do the job a few times, but make no mistake, it is still CHEAP JUNK! Pushed to the edge, you could even get injured.
I agree, I used to build trannies with very few special tools.
But I'm self employed and can make a lot of money if I do a lot of billable hours. So, if I fool around and spend 5 extra hours with rigged up stuff, I could have just as well bought the special tools.
Perhaps the best tool I have is a fixture to hold the tranny onto my old American engine stand. This has the strength and the wide base to hold the thing when I have to put 250 ft-lb on the wrench to break loose the pinion bearing nut. I had this built by a local blacksmith/welding shop. I took them a tranny case, the head from my engine stand, and a Bentley.
This ends up replacing the VW309 and VW352 fixtures.
Two of the most important tools are the VW381/14 pinion nut wrenc, and the VW381/15, the special tool to remove the side bearing adjusters. Ya really just ought to buy a new VW381/14 from ZD Mack. Even though the book shows $465, I think they are about $65!
The VW381/15 makes the job easier, but you can move them with other means. I don't know of any sources.
The 091/1 and 094 do NOT need the VW294B shift fork jig. the forks do not adjust with set screws, like the earlier 001, 002 and 091.
And a good thing, that tool is $1500 new.
the last big lump is the VW385 ring gear setter. I've got one of those, never had to use it! My brother has a shop, and needed to put a new r&p in a Porsche 944 with automatic. It would have been a help in that situation.
Good think, they cost over $2500 new. I got a lot of this stuff in a 200 lb purchase of tools on Ebay.
The sad thing is, every dealer had this stuff. 98% of it is gone. Where, you might ask. Likely in the dumpster.
If you want to copy some stuff, PM me. It would be cool to get a good machinist to copy some of this stuff.
BTW, I just rebuilt a 915 Porsche tranny. Not one special tool, except for snap ring pliers and pin punch. Aparently different engineering philosophy. Less price conscious, perhaps.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
Blast! I don't have a 20 ton press... only thing that comes close is my french press...

Well i guess thats why they cost 1799.00 for rebuilds...
Confused

I'm in Telluride, Colorado Al. Where do you hail from?
Well duh It's on both our profiles! I'm in Cedar Falls, IA.
Funny thing, I was very near Telluride a month ago. I took the road to the west and went to Cortez. Then Mesa Verde. (Easily the best archeological site in the US that I have seen.) I think a great place to take one's kids.
Really a great place to visit. Perhaps a great place to live.
Al
Vanagons:
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Ya really just ought to buy a new VW381/14 from ZD Mack.

I'm always looking for good tool sources. I haven't heard of ZD Mack before and a google search yielded zip. Gotta link?
'96 BMW R1100GS
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psych-I, let me know if you're serious about getting the tools together. I'd be happy to chip in in order to share the cost and the benefits. Get Dogpilot in on the deal and it might get downright cheap to do for all involved.

Andrew
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
69doublecab wrote:
Ya really just ought to buy a new VW381/14 from ZD Mack.

I'm always looking for good tool sources. I haven't heard of ZD Mack before and a google search yielded zip. Gotta link?

ZD Mak, I guess. Here's their Ebay sellers list:
http://stores.ebay.com/ZDMAK-Special-Tools-for-Auto-Repair
Al
Vanagons:
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the chromoly pinion nut tool from ERCO or Weddle over the cheap-o cast version. The cast one won't last that long, and is more than a bit sloppy even when new. The good one will last a lifetime.

Holding the case for nut removal is easy.... just bolt a 3-foot length of angle iron to the main housing.

You can make your own side adjuster tool by cutting a 42 x 72mm piece of flat steel, drilling in the center with a 3/8" drill, and squaring up the hole with a small square file, to fit your 3/8" drive.

The tough one is the 1st gear bearing race removal tool. I've seen these made from whichever model hub had the female pattern built into it (pre-conical lock). Even with the proper factory tool, removal of the screw-on race can be a bitch. One tip on reassembly of the race ... don't overtighten. Overtorqueing these will cause premature wear of the pinion bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: