Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot Failure - How long do your CV boots last?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Failure - How long do your CV boots last? Reply with quote

03/2011: Purchased GoWesty Rebuilt Drive Axle

12/2012: CV boots split open, GoWesty sends me a new set of axles. They think there was a chance of a bad batch of rubber.

08/2014: CV boots split open again.

Both times it appears that the rubber is cracking apart. All of the driving has been on highways. No off-roading. How long do your CV boots last? Any recommendations on replacement parts? What type of CV boots are you using? Preventative maintenance?

Forrest Whitmore
San Diego, CA.
1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L Manual
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Failure - How long do your CV boots last? Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
GoWesty sends me a new set of axles

wow! Lucky Smile

so, 21 months for the first boots, 20 months for the second ones.

curious how many miles youre getting between boots.

curious what your ride height is, more than 19.5"? (fender lip to wheel center).

good job monitoring your boots, well done!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots are a tough to source part right now.
Silicone boots are going to be produced, as I have been told, and other boots/bellows from this source have been excellent.
They will be advertised when ready for sale.

Removing the band clamp on the inner, shaft side, pushing the boot towards the CV slightly and using a zip tie instead of the band clamp will give a tiny bit of extra room, with less pressure on the boot.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jon_slider

I was very lucky!

Yes, so both sets of boots have lasted approximately the same amount of time.

I would guess (odometer stopped working) that I am driving about 45 miles per day.

My ride height is just under 19.5".

@insyncro
You will have to keep me posted on the silicone boots.

When I was inspecting the boots I was thinking on doing exactly that. It appears that the boots have too much tension on them.

Would tightening the inner boots to the axle shaft after the drive axle is installed help?

Forrest Whitmore
San Diego, CA.
1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L Manual
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the axles have ripples where the small side of the boot rests on the axle and is clamped.
I suggest pushing the boot to the inside of the ripples and securing with a zip tie to keep them from migrating outward and stressing them.
This has worked for me.

I will post about the boots when I get a set from the designer.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current boots went on in 2003 -- that was with a CV replacement, the boots that had been on there before (possibly 10 years) had not split.

I never do anything to secure the small end of the boot - no clamp, no zip-tie - I want one end to be able to move rather than get strained.

No idea of that approach is really helpful, could be I just got these boots before the quality went south.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clamp, no zip tie works for me.
Makes greasing with a needle super simple and quick.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last set of boots lasted 8 months in strictly paved-road driving. Fortunately I have learned to minimize the damage. Have a replacement on hand and fix it right away. Takes about 90 minutes.

I agree about clamping them down as superfluous.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear about going clampless.
Thanks Guys.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Have any of you had problems with grease escaping when not clamping the smaller end of the boot?

I took a look my drive axles and one has the ripples (torn side) as you say @insyncro and the other has more of an indentation (not torn).

I pushed the one that hasn't torn to the inner portion of the indentation. It appears to be the same length as the ripples. Approximately 1.5".
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been clampless on the little ends of all rear axles and front inners for a while, but all the boots i've had have failed in at most 2 years.
Nothing seems to last these days. I believe i've had slightly better luck with the Meyle boots then with the others, but as a general statement they all seem to suck.

With that said, i've had ORIGINAL boots that are still in good condition last seemingly forever. Yep, 30 year old boots.
I covet my few good used boots over any brand new one as a result of how much they all suck.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With that said, i've had ORIGINAL boots that are still in good condition last seemingly forever. Yep, 30 year old boots.

I fully agree with this statement! I bought my van in 1997 with the factory axles still on, previous owner kept excellent records. They finally gave up the ghost and in April 2012, I replaced them before a trip back to NY to help my folks out. Granted this was from a local driveline shop that I had rebuild my axles and not one of our vendors products....

Well last fall while I was doing my pre-winter maintenance, I noticed the drivers side was separated at the small end and the passenger side was just starting to rip. So in essence, I got about 19 months from whatever brand the local shop used. I have kept them greased and they are scheduled for replacement this fall!

I have the new Go Westy listed boots on my wish list.... Anybody have any feedback on these as far as felt quality out of the box or use?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Silicone boots are going to be produced, as I have been told, and other boots/bellows from this source have been excellent.

This is truly great news. It would be fantastic to be able to buy a pair of new boots that last more than a year or two.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an experiment and to buy some time, back in Decemeber I smeared some Sikaflex sealant on the outside of one boot where some surface, not full thickness cracking was developing. I monitor it, and 8 months later it still looks good. I cleaned the rubber first to get better adhesion. I have some new boots on hand for when the time comes, but this temporary fix has lasted alot longer than I thought it would.
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing all the negative reports here I've also resorted to using old original stock. My original boots had micro cracks so I cleaned and treated with a rubber conditioner. I figure they will still last longer than new boots.

Waiting patiently for those silicon boots...
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the new Go Westy listed boots on my wish list.... Anybody have any feedback on these as far as felt quality out of the box or use?

I spoke with GoWesty and they offer EMPI, Kotek, and Lobro. The item http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24056 that they list does not specify which brand it is. The ones I have had issues with could be any of the previously named brands.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have had low life from replacement boots. The original ones that came with the van last what, 20 plus years. All replacements I have purchased from all sorts of sources ( I drive bay window vans too, same boot) last 2 years max. Keep us posted on the silicone boots!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gowesty front reman axle I used had horrible boots on it. One syncro front outer lasted 412 miles. I have a fairly extreme lift so I did not expect much from them.

I have had the best luck with the GW Kopek brand and Lobro. The Lobro hard plastic front outers are still holding out after a few thousand miles.....the only way to go there with stock CV's and a lift in my opinion. Lobros seem less likely deteriorate and crack from what I have seen. The rear lobros on my 2wd have a good 15k on them and still look great. All of the other boots besides these two have started to crack after a short time..and eventually tear. I also agree with Craig above. The stock boots kick the most ass.

Edit-the complete lobro front axles all seem to come with a soft rubber front outer boot. Strange they don't use the hard plastic one on the complete units.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
insyncro wrote:

This is truly great news. It would be fantastic to be able to buy a pair of new boots that last more than a year or two.

Did a quick search but don't see these for sale yet. Recall another thread where they were discussed with other boots, but couldn't find it...

What's the latest on durability and availability?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
shadetreetim wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Did a quick search but don't see these for sale yet. Recall another thread where they were discussed with other boots, but couldn't find it...

What's the latest on durability and availability?

The guy's Samba name is "Alika T3"... he's on Oahu. Steering rack boots are available and CV boots have been developed but haven't been released for sale, yet. Here's the thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605642&highlight=alika
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: