Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick loud
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Autostick loud Reply with quote

I've been restoring a 69 autostick for the last 2 years. I took it out on it's madien voyage, it went pretty well other than the transmission whining really loud. It's very notciable, more noticable when the vehicle is compression braking.

Could this be anything other than low fluid? Is there a trick to filling the reservoir? How do I confirm fluid is actually cycling through the system?

Thanks

Jason
vdubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Noisy Autostick Reply with quote

It sounds like you haven't checked the gear oil in the transmission. You probably have filled the Dexron automatic trans fluid reservoir which is in the engine compartment but you need to get under the car with your 17 MM allen wrench and pull the plug on the drivers side of the trans and check the gear oil in the trans which uses regular 85 - 90W gear oil. It sounds like it might be low.

If you are not too familiar with Autostick a simple description is that it is really a 3-speed manual tranny that uses an automatic torque converter to transfer engine power to the trans, and a electronically controlled vacuum operated clutch to shift the trans gears.

If you do a search of the forum using keyword "autostick" on the Samba forum you will find a lot of useful info. Also go to the website http://www.volks.org/vwar/ which is dedicated to only Autostick and has a lot of good info.
vdubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: One more thing...... Reply with quote

You definitely should get a Bentley Volkswagen Service Manual for 1970 thru 1979. It has an entire section on Autostick as well as electrical wiring diagram for Auto if you should need it.

Also, I hope that if you pulled the engine you didn't do it with the torque converter attached to the engine because you will usually mess up the rear tranny seal enough to cause a leak of the gear oil. The above service manual describes the proper prcedure for removing engine from Autostick VW and you remove four 10 MM bolts that attach torque converter to engine flex plate. You want the torque converter to stay attached to trans, you don't want it to come out with theengine. Like I said before get the Bentley manual and follow the procedure.
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll check that. I have the bentley and I've educated myself as much as I've needed on the autostick. It's a neat setup. I'll keep the tranny in as long as it lasts.

Thanks again
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya jay,

I'd echo what vdubber had to say about the gear oil and the ATF. If you are out there and runn ing around you are probably in good shape for ATF. Gear oil should be "renewed" while doing your restoration. The differential takes the same gear oil as a manual tranny.

And one other thing.............I've been driving an AutoStick for ten years now and it does tend to whine a little, especially when cold.

Do check out the Volkswagen Automatic Register at www.vwar.org for more specific info.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I'll get under it tonight and check it out. I've basically rebuilt the car around the engine and tranny, not wanting to change anything until I have too.

Jason
74driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason, If the noise is comming from the front of the transmission it is probably the mainshaft bearing. That sounds ominous I know but it probably isn't . I think you are doing the right thing just driving it for a while. My car had sat for a while before I bought it and the mainshaft bearing was so noisy I thought the trans was shot. I changed the gear oil and drove it for month or so and the noise went away. Actually had it checked out at a VW shop(35 years business) and he said "if you can stand the noise just drive it and see if it clears up" it did. YMMV Good luck
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a difference a little (ok a lot the gearbox was empty) gear oil makes. very quiet now, well not exactly quiet but no whirring noise. Thanks again for the input!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: