Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 headlights always on
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: 1980 headlights always on Reply with quote

The wife phoned last night...late at night...because the headlights won't turn off.

I told her to disconnect the battery and go to sleep...but of course that is a short term solution.

Any ideas?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 headlights always on Reply with quote

The headlight switch sometimes get so hot that it melts in the on position. You probably need a new one.

There are relay kits sold various places to deal with this weakness so it won't happen again. It probably won't happen again unless you put brighter bulbs in and overload the switch like many people do. Maybe a previous owner did that, who knows.

Mark

krimpoo wrote:
The wife phoned last night...late at night...because the headlights won't turn off.

I told her to disconnect the battery and go to sleep...but of course that is a short term solution.

Any ideas?
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...well,we have had the van for quite awhile and made some long trips in it. 8-16 hour days driving so i dont think the po put in some weird after market lights.

Fused switch sounds weird though..i'll check it out when she gets the van back here on monday. Until then i have lots of time to wonder wtf?

Thanks for the response...its a head turner.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven my Vanagons over a half million miles. I have had the melted stuck on headlight switch happen to me twice. Always with stock headlights. I have added relays in my traveling vans now.

Mark

krimpoo wrote:
Hmm...well,we have had the van for quite awhile and made some long trips in it. 8-16 hour days driving so i dont think the po put in some weird after market lights.

Fused switch sounds weird though..i'll check it out when she gets the van back here on monday. Until then i have lots of time to wonder wtf?

Thanks for the response...its a head turner.
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..had no idea it was such an issue. this will be a good excuse to make a sweet mounted switchboard and put all kindsa' doo dads and thingamabobs on it. Hook up a new light switch to it and save the other bobs for stuff i may need in the future.

I'll post pics when i get too it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: