Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace Hood and bumpers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwbyron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Replace Hood and bumpers Reply with quote

I have a '74, the hood is pretty badly beat up, should I replace it, or try to hammer out the dents, grind off the rust and fill the rest? A while back I heard about fiberglass hoods, do they still make those and how does it affect painting (will it look out of place?)

Also, our bumpers are badly rusted, anyone know what it costs to have them re-chromed, or should I just buy new ones?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fiberglass body parts fit like crap and there's nothing like original metal.

Aftermarket bumpers will start to rust the first time it rains. But having bumpers rechromed is very expensive.

Anyway you look at it, restored a car isn't going to be cheap. The more you do yourself the cheaper it is. Trust me, i've restored a 74 Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really starts with you answering :

What kind of Bug do you want?
How much time /money are you willing to spend

If you get fiberglass fenders, skip the re-chrome you car won't be worth it which I would guess cost around $400 each. If your not investing in the rest of the car with quality parts (aka German metal, no bondo holding the car togther,etc) the cost of 2 bumpers is about what your entire car is worth. Naturally you get what you pay for and a $30 aftermarket bumper will be showing rust in 1 winter. Better to buy a decent used OG one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your in the neighborhood of my favorite place to get used fenders, etc. Averre's in Longview,Wa. Great place. Haven't been there in a year but pretty sure their still in business. There is also Rudi Schaffner in Stanwood,Wa. Never checked it out, but they sell tons of stuff here in the classifieds .....Go shopping

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwbyron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, there was a schafner motors down in lynnwood, but I think the guy retired. I'll check out the other place. I am going to hamer out the dents on the fenders, I found about an inch of body filler in some spots. Maybe I'll sand and spray-paint the bumpers silver for now and save to re-chrome them. I'm not looking for a show bug, but we've put enough time and money into the car now I want something that will last.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: