Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of music are you listening to...?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

NRBQ
Tony Bennet
Steely Dan
a little FZ. And no, not his orchestral stuff. The clarinet licks make me queezy
and annoyed.
Al Jareau (sp?)
Andy Griffith. Yes. Aaaaaandey! (best $0.50 I ever spent at a library or anywhere for that matter)
Wide Mouth Mason
Dave Grusin movie sound tracks
Tears For Fears
Level 42
Peggy Lee though I can't find that CD right now.
Santana
Dave Mathews
Spirit Of The West
MGB

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Generally Classical except when Gershwin is being played. He's like the classical version of Rap music.
As Individual groups go, no one can beat Steely Dan for clarity and mix. I then go from Adel to Boston ,Anita Baker and on to Willy Nelson and some Who and Zepplin and way off to Meatloaf.
In The shop it is either Classical or S.D.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

....... and sadly, lately, I've been listening to most of my mix at my "shop"
whilst wrenching on one of my buses.

Some of the best CD's I've found have been at Ma/Pa thrift shops in
Small Town ___ while traveling in a Westy.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

During one winter commuting to work on the Long Island Distressway I had a Yanni "Live at the Acropolis" CD in the radio for 6 months straight ...god...the state of mind I was in! Never liked that commute!

Coming down the west side of the Rockies on 70 into Salt Lake City in 1981 I picked up a Los Angeles radio station. (found out later they put up a radio tower in Tijuana where they could broadcast with a million watts!)

Mostly NPR, new age, classic rock, classical pretty much everything except RAP!

If you really want a good radio experience go out into the Baja Pennisula where there is no towns for miles around with an old rotary dial tuning radio.
Without the electronic noise of modern society you'll get stations bouncing signals off ionsphere from the other side of the oceans.
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Blind Faith, Chet Baker in Paris, Miles, Deep Purple Made in Japan, Jimmy Buffet Feeding Frenzy. And more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Mostly Jazz from the 50's through the early 60's. Oscar Peterson, Red Garland, Dexter Gordon,Zoot Sims,Wynton Kelly,Victor Feldman,Sonny Clark,Art Pepper.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Mostly Jazz from the 50's through the early 60's. Oscar Peterson, Red Garland, Dexter Gordon,Zoot Sims,Wynton Kelly,Victor Feldman,Sonny Clark,Art Pepper.

I like your style!!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Wagner, Deadmau5, Mark Lanegan, Iggy Pop, Joshua Redman, Vivaldi, Late Night Alumni, Paul Desmond, April Wine, The Bad Plus, The Cure, Flaming Lips, The Shins, KPLU, KUOW...blah blah blah. It's all good, but sounds shitty through 4" speakers

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Wagner, Deadmau5, Mark Lanegan, Iggy Pop, Joshua Redman, Vivaldi, Late Night Alumni, Paul Desmond, April Wine, The Bad Plus, The Cure, Flaming Lips, The Shins, KPLU, KUOW...blah blah blah. It's all good, but sounds shitty through 4" speakers

You don't get the real punch from a 4" speaker that's for sure but if you can find some two way 4" Boston Acoustic speakers, you may be pleasantly surprised. Years ago I replaced the funky OE ones with the BA's in the door and in the upper rear cabinet. For the $$$ and the size I'm rather impressed. I likes my music to be mostly acoustic and an upright Bass sounds deep and lacks the audible wobble cheaper 4" speakers exhibit. Its not like a home system but for road travel.. its quite adequate.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

I'm running two pair of Infinity two-ways fr/rr, but like most systems using the high outputs vs low outputs and an external amp, I need to turn the volume up too high in order to start getting full range sounds. At high volumes the bass tends to get overdriven and buzz. I really need to invest in an external amp, sub and crossover setup. Unfortunately that's not on the discretionary funds priority list right now.

y u rune klassik?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

what ever the radio station is playing. else listen to the hum of the motor and wind noise, pure bliss.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

KPIG! 94.9 in SLO, 107.9 in Santa Cruz, Computer every place else.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening..? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Link
y

Me too!! Cool

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
RCB wrote:

I like your style!!

I do listen mostly to acoustic Jazz but when the moods right, Pink Floyd or Beethoven can work too. Very Happy I got a chance to see Oscar Peterson, MJQ and Miles and a few other GREATS prior to them passing and their music kinda stuck with me.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
NRBQ
Tony Bennet
Steely Dan
a little FZ. And no, not his orchestral stuff. The clarinet licks make me queezy
and annoyed.
Al Jareau (sp?)
Andy Griffith. Yes. Aaaaaandey! (best $0.50 I ever spent at a library or anywhere for that matter)
Wide Mouth Mason
Dave Grusin movie sound tracks
Tears For Fears
Level 42
Peggy Lee though I can't find that CD right now.
Santana
Dave Mathews
Spirit Of The West
MGB

Nice array of Artists Vanagon Nut. Dave Grusin recorded a nice version of West Side Story. Its worth a listen or two.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Flaming Lips and The Shins are favorites of mine.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

I listen to mostly podcasts while driving. Lots of good stuff out there, BUT most of them are over an hour long and I get way behind. One can amass quite a backlog of material especially if the podcasts come out more than once a week. I'm never fully on top of it. The key to a great podcast is a voice with good tone and being comfortable in front of a mic. Here are my favs:

The Carson podcast - Interviews with people that were on the Tonight Show and behind the scenes working with Johnny.

Revolutions - From the guy who did "The History of Rome" now does histories of various revolutions such as the American, French, Haitian and Mexican.

The Bill Simons Podcast - A sports podcast with some non sports topics add in. Nice easy to listen to voice.

Reasonable Doubt - A law based podcast with Mark Geragos and Adam Carolla.

This American Life - The NPR show with all sorts of interesting stories.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

Can't wait to get on the road...This one motivates me greatly!

Link

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Maron's WTF podcast, but I'm rarely in the van long enough for a full episode. I find This American Life to be too engrossing to listen to while driving

y u rune klassik?
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of music are you listening to...? Reply with quote

I use amazon orime to load on my phone or ipad and play when driving across Nevada. Amazon has a vast selection to please almost anyone. Not a compensated endorsement!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: