Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosibear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location? Reply with quote

Ok, finally did some more testing up in the front of the cab and kept away from the relays back on the D pillar as suggested.

I started by cleaning all the terminals grounded to the circular ground rings on the wall behind the fuse panel at pillar A. All pretty corroded and needed cleaning but unfortunately did not solve my AC fan blower issue.

I then pulled out my voltmeter (I admittedly am not that handy with this but know the basics) and tested the 50A fuseable link at the same location. I found that the two terminals on either side of the fuseable link were hot but none of the others on the underside of the plastic housing showed any power. (See picture #1 and #2 HOT and all beneath that including #3 were NOT.)

I went and checked the wires on the alternator just to cover my bases and all seemed solid there.

I then went back to the in-dash A/C switch(s). Pull those out and I could not get any reading for the black/yellow wire or any other wires on either the temp on/off switch OR the fan speed 1-4 switch. Voltmeter set to 20V Red on each terminal at switch and black grounded.

I then went back and tested the fuse pane #12 fuse slot and couldn't get a reading there either. I made sure that the battery was connected and that they key was turned on. Still nothing. Voltmeter set to 20V red on terminal and black grounded on door frame. I was able to get a reading doing the same on the #3 (stereo et al) fuse slot.

So, I am now staring blankly at the Bently and truly not sure which wires to now check and follow to their power source from the back of the fuse panel. I see the pages of schematics and just am not getting what to do next.

Any help on which wires to check or?

Is it still possible that the switch or relay on the front pillar A above the fuseable 50A link is the culprit?

Stumped at the moment but making progress I think Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fosibear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location? Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping me focused on this issue. Turned out that the A/C fan switch was NOT getting power from the fuse panel! I cleaned up the connections in particular the black/yellow wire from the back G terminals directly to the fan/temp control switch.

Problem solved. I now have a few spare relays for the back D pillar area as back up but that's OK even though I hope I won't need them I at least do have them on-hand.

Thanks again for the input and help focusing my attention back to the power source.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location? Reply with quote

Dancing Applause
ejsmall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location? Reply with quote

Hey all.... Ive got an 86 GL. We've had it since 88. While chasing down a start problem I removed the D pillar panel and noticed that both of the 50A AC fan fuses were melted, but o ly one had failed. Kind of looked slow cooked. The fuse block itself is fine. I put two new fuses in and all working fine. Is this typical? Those fuses are orjginal so 32 years of heat. Or should I be worried? Like failing fan motors increasing resistance.

Thanks!
Eric
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon A/C relay and 50amp fuse location? Reply with quote

These posts are helping me envision the system better but I have a NEW, yet unmentioned weird problem:

My AC works only when I have the fan on 4. The fan comes on just fine at 1-3 as well but the compressor is shutting down then. I click it to 4 and the compressor comes back on!

I had a professional charge and vacuum test and it's cooling well but having to leave it on 4 is loud and just too much.

Any ideas on how this could even happen?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: