Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems w/Buying Low Mile '80s VWs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Problems w/Buying Low Mile '80s VWs Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience w/ buying a low milage 80's VWs, what are the biggest problems, beyond stuff like new fuel lines, brake lines ect. ?
I looked at a sweet Dasher ( Embarassed Yea,I know, a Dasher Embarassed ) its a Diesel, and my Daughter needs a new car, and wants a Diesel, this car has 42K on it, looks really nice, I looked at it yesterday at John's C.C..
It would be a cool ride for her, but starting w/ the $3900 price & any $$ after that, would it be better to buy a newer Jetta/Golf Diesel- like a late '90s??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than normal wear & tear, you really can't go wrong with the older 80's VW's. The diesels will run forever if they're cared for & get exceptional milage. To find one with under 100,000 miles on it is like striking gold. The gas engines of the '80's are also very reliable - only real thing you need to be concerned with is the automatic trannys. As long as she'd be happy with the Dasher (not really a "cool" body style for a young girl unless she's into surfing & needs the extra space) I'd say snatch it right away.
As for the later models - the deisel engines are still reliable, however the misc. BS electrical starts to become a real nickel & dime pain in the ass. I'm referring to the power windows, stereo, power locks, etc. Other than that, unless you get the turbo deisel be prepared for it to do 0-60 mph in a month. That's the price you pay for 40-50mpg. Hope that helps.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
check boston craigslist for 80's-90's VW's. Occasionally, you find a steal on a low mileage gasser. Diesels always command $$$

rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3900? for a DASHER? Laughing
i hope you get a lot of change back.
the "problem" i would see with that car would be sourcing any Laughing dasher Laughing specific parts that may be made of unobtanium.

get a golf or jetta. talk to clay and mary, they seem to find good things.
4Doora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Problems w/Buying Low Mile '80s VWs Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
would it be better to buy a newer Jetta/Golf Diesel- like a late '90s??

HELL NO
A friend of mine had a late 90s jetta
is was the biggest piece of crap i've ever seen
not one of the door handles worked properly, it was an electrical nightmare (all power windows were screwed up)
the transmission quit and it's still sitting in her driveway
basically anything in the car that you wouldn't expect to break, broke

but yeah, diesel vws have a good reputation
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Mezger wrote:
As long as she'd be happy with the Dasher (not really a "cool" body style for a young girl unless she's into surfing & needs the extra space)

i think it's cool, looks like scirocco stationwagon. Wink
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crukab, Dashers use a bunch of Dasher only diesel things too (mounts for one). For that I think you should find a A2 Jetta or Golf. Remember they use the great VW gear in the spedo so.... My good Jetta had 74,000 on it when the guys I bought it from got it, then drove up from Texas... If it is that new figure you willl have to rebuild the injector pump once new fuel touches the seals.

Try the "dark side" Vortex or Fredstdi.com. A3 while faster and nicer have a bunch of issues that go with them. I only seem to killl a A2 when they roll or rot away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems w/Buying Low Mile '80s VWs Reply with quote

4Doora wrote:
crukab wrote:
would it be better to buy a newer Jetta/Golf Diesel- like a late '90s??

HELL NO
A friend of mine had a late 90s jetta
is was the biggest piece of crap i've ever seen
not one of the door handles worked properly, it was an electrical nightmare (all power windows were screwed up)
the transmission quit and it's still sitting in her driveway
basically anything in the car that you wouldn't expect to break, broke

but yeah, diesel vws have a good reputation

Probably a MKIII automatic, right? Those autos are indeed pure junk. My fiance had the auto crap out on her at just over 100k mi. on a '97 Jetta. Maybe if it would be OK if it had been serviced, but hardly anyone does it. They are theoretically "liftime" sealed units. MKII and older automatics seem to be fair. She now has a '97 GTI 2.0 5 speed with high miles- great car. Door handles are even weaker on 70's, 80's VW's than 90's VW's. They are weak junk. No big deal, just buy new ones, they are easy to install and cheap. Then be gentle, especially in cold weather. Not really a reason to damn the whole car. The electrical wiring itself often doesn't have anything to do with the windows not working, its usually a mechanical problem. There are so many in the junkyards with dead autos, finding replacement regulator/motor units is easy. 5 speed 2.0 liter MKIII cars are fine- last many 100's of thousands of miles no problems with the drivetrain, etc...just have to be prepared to fix the known issues. '80s VW's I have or had are very similar. They have cheap trim, clusters, accessories, etc... but are nearly indestructible in the drivetrain department. I have an '86 Quantum gasoline 5cyl./5spd. that I got for $200, terribly neglected with 200-300K miles on it and it is still going after a tune-up and some TLC. Next step is to get it to pass emissions... Wink OK, to sum it up- All WCVW's have similar issues, cheap trim, clusters, accessories, and yes, often electrical. Drivetrains, especially manual equipped, are extremely durable when maintained. A Dasher might be somewhat harder to find parts for than others.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 82 Jetta. That thing was a tank, the engine was a rock, and it got 32 mpg at 212,000. If I recall, the most expensive thing I replaced were the axles in the front, and they weren't that much. I did break a few door handles in the winter (-15 in Steamboat Springs)

How it died: Electronics. Windows, Heater, Headlights, then it was dead.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetta's suck. They are what I call "disposable" cars. Use them for a bit and throw them away when they break.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
Jetta's suck. They are what I call "disposable" cars. Use them for a bit and throw them away when they break.

Any of them I've had have been pretty tough. I bought my 85 Jetta Diesel 11 years ago with 363,000 kms on it and still drive it daily. It has 740,000 on it now and has only left me stranded once because of a frozen fuel line. It makes the 1000 km trip from here to Halifax and back regularly. The only think I don't like is the lack of power out on the highway (mine is non-turbo). My cousin just got rid of his 2001 TDI though because of too many electrical problems and plastic parts breaking in the wintertime.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
4Doora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
my65vert wrote:

Any of them I've had have been pretty tough. I bought my 85 Jetta Diesel 11 years ago with 363,000 kms on it and still drive it daily. It has 740,000 on it now and has only left me stranded once because of a frozen fuel line. It makes the 1000 km trip from here to Halifax and back regularly. The only think I don't like is the lack of power out on the highway (mine is non-turbo). My cousin just got rid of his 2001 TDI though because of too many electrical problems and plastic parts breaking in the wintertime.

Most "pre-fahrvergnugen" VWs are great
anything after is junk IMHO
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<flame suit on>

I've noticed the same kind of thing hunting for a Subaru for winter use -- the 80s and early 90s ones are pretty much bulletproof, the later ones have headgasket and electronical woes. You could say that about any car, though.

The conventional wisdom is that a newer car (with its brand-new parts) will be more reliable and give fewer problems than a used car with its worn out parts and questionable service history. But I guess we know better, don't we!

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 81 diesel Rabbit with 104k on it, and from what I've heard/read/learned, that's nothing...I love it so far, and rabbit diesel parts are pretty easy & cheap to come by...
I highly recommend www.vwdieselparts.com for parts, and they have a great forum for only VW diesels...with some really smart folks there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Househead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick to 85 - 92 (mk2) Golf's & jetta's.
German made. VIN starts WVW. if not do NOT buy it.
parts are easy to come by, they are fairly simple to fix, and they are pretty solid cars if you find a good rust free one

for around $2000 you should find a decent gas model, a bit more for diesel, and I have seen a few TDI converted mk2's going in the $4 - 5000 range.

www.vwvortex.com is thesamba for watercooled's
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

the "problem" i would see with that car would be sourcing any Laughing dasher Laughing specific parts that may be made of unobtanium.

Best quote of this topic ! And from what I know, the most to the point. Dasher parts are not as easy to come buy as Rabbit/Golf/Jetta Diesels.

My daughter is 20 now (knows every thing Laughing ) and she would like another wagon, after 2 Fox wagons, she likes the space, just a little smaller than a Bus.
I've been watching Craigslist up here, I guess I need to poach in Ct./Mass. waters for more selection.
That Dasher should be in museum, its so clean !

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why narrow your search for an early 80's VW? If you want to stay in the early 80's and want a wagon, I don't think anything beats the 82 Toyota Corolla wagon. Extremely reliable, economical, easy to work on, and inexpensive parts. Just something to consider....

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I saw that Dasher and was tempted, I had a Quantum TDI, very reliable, great MPG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
Why narrow your search for an early 80's VW? If you want to stay in the early 80's and want a wagon, I don't think anything beats the 82 Toyota Corolla wagon. Extremely reliable, economical, easy to work on, and inexpensive parts. Just something to consider....

The only problem w/ that is those cars are long gone from the North East roads, I'd like her to spend the coin & get a Jetta tdi wagon........ Laughing

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** cough cough ** Honda accord wagon or Toyota camry wagon. early to mid 90's style!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: