Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jake Lake Engines aka Ken Morgan - Update: Lawsuit
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta-ed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Jake Lake Engines aka Ken Morgan - Update: Lawsuit Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with Jake Lake engines. I see them on EBay for $975 plus $190 shipping.

I am in need of a 2.1 to get my 89 back on the road. I would love to go with a Subaru, but can not afford it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Emails used
[email protected]
[email protected]

Update - Class Action Lawsuit - please see this post below
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6491427#6491427

From a member, new/other names/businesses:
blatzer wrote:
FSA Motors dba Bug Motion

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes well over $1000 in parts, AT COST, not retail, to do a basic competent rebuild on a wbx. Plain and simple. There's no way someone can offer a wbx for that price without cutting a whole lotta corners, even if their daddy owns the bearing plant and the machine shop. These are expensive engines to rebuild competently. If you want a quality rebuilt wbx, it is going to cost upwards of $2500, or else someone is doing it for charity, because there's no margin there. For that price, expect a lot of reused components, a junker case and heads to start with, an embarrassing valve job, K-mart valves, Walmart rings, used pistons and honed cylinders, reground lifters and worst of all a reground camshaft, all assembled with a conspicuous lack of loving care.

Notice the shippers haven't cut their rates. It costs $200 to ship an engine in the USA. They're no fools; you can't make that up in bulk sales, either.

You may often get less than you paid for, but you seldom get more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Lake is the new working name for a fellow named Ken Morgan. I've never dealt with him, but he has a past in our community. Living in Denver I know most of the stories. Do your own research and make your own decisions. When I showed up expecting to meet a new engine rebuilder and Ken Morgan walked out, I chose to pass, sorry I'd gone to the trouble of loading the motor and bringing it out there. That was my decision, but search the name or his previous business Eurocars and you can make your own.

I just kicked myself, the phrase "if it sounds too good to be true...maybe it is" ringing in my head. Silly me! Embarassed
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
jsSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations on shops that will rebuild a WBX competently? Preferably in Colorado.

How about for performance upgrades akin to a Gowesty 2.4 or 2.5 (without the sticker shock).

I have nothing against GW, I'm willing to pay a premium for a quality engine but jeez, my first 3 VWs combined cost less then a GW rebuild.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and do it right and go camping in this beast.

http://www.bostonengine.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Denver Engines... Reply with quote

I had a long talk with Larry Blazer about what to do when... Alas, cruel world, that it must be a 'when!'... Winston's faithful 1.9 WBX finally bites the big one...

Larry and the his brother Blazer and their skilled mechanics have and can rebuild an engine, and they'll guarantee their work, and they know what they are doing.

You can always buy a VW crate engine, and the brothers Blazer will install and adjust it.

You want an upgrade? Larry said that he's had nothing but good luck with all varieties of the GoWesty. That's where I'd most likely go if I have the time to set things up and prepare for the expense.

Nice to know there's another Sambanista in Denver! I've met Krautwagen and Joetiger at VW's on the Green--hope we'll encounter each other (I consciously DON'T say, 'run into each other') soon.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veloseller1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Jake Lake Ken Morgan jake4parts Reply with quote

*** WARNING***Ken Morgan, Jake Lake Parts, eBay name Jake4parts Jake Morgan JLake Parts etc

I have been personally Lied to for a period of months from Ken Morgan.

And I had my money stolen from Ken Morgan.

I had to involve the Police to regain possession of my Volkswagen Vanagon that Ken had locked away in his storage complex for months.

Ken had taken my money for a Vanagon Engine,Taken Possession of My Vanangon Syncro,Lied to me over and over about having my AAZ engine that I paid him for and then Ken Morgan / Jake Lake changed his phone # so I couldn't contact him.

Ken / Jake was also hiding out from me and was working illegally out of a Self storage unit late at night so I could not find him.

Beware of him, Report him to the police,Internet fraud etc.

Here is Ken Morgan's contact information,

Home Address,

Kenneth H Morgan
Wife: Vera Morgan
XXXX e XXXXX ave Denver, CO 80222-7110
Home Telephone# 303-691-XXXX
Cell Phone # 303-956-XXXX

Moderator note - Some personal information was removed to comply with web sites rules Contact this person if you need the full information

Ken is operating an illegal repair shop out of 3 rented units at a self storage complex
located at I-70 & Chambers road. He works at the complex all hours. So chances are if he is not there during the day he will be there at night.
I have personally seen him as late as 1:00 am and even later.

Take I-70 East & exit the Chambers Rd Exit.
Make left onto Chambers and then make your first left onto 40th Ave.
D.I.A is located about 1 mile down on left.
Look for a blue grey Vanagon and you will know Ken Morgan / Jake Lake
is at the storage complex.

The self storage lot only has one gate for the entrance and exit.

This is great as Ken gets caged in while you wait for the Police to come so they can assist you in getting your Vehicles back from Ken or perhaps your money or serving him with court papers etc.

Name

D.I.A Self Storage
14750 E 40th Ave
Denver Colorado 80239
303-371-0999

Ken has been investigated for Internet fraud before so if you have any problems that have happened Via a computer there are many agencies waiting to help you.

Personally Ken Morgon lied to me for over 4 months.

Ken "sold" me an engine he never had.

He lied to me and told me he had a Volkswagen Diesel 1.9 AAZ engine and he asked me to pay him NOW and he would have my engine in 10 days.

I paid Ken up front to help Ken out of a Jam and he promised me in 10 days he would have my engine.

Instead of an engine Ken Morgan gave me 1 lie after another for a period of over 4 moths and finally admitted to the Police he never had the engine that he took my money for.

He looked me in the eye with a hand shake and a promise that was all a big lie!

On top of this Ken had possession of my Volkswagen Vanagon as he was supposed to install the engine.

Instead Ken changed his phone number,Did not contact me and essentially appears to have been attempting to steal my Volkswagen Vanagon.

I had to get the Police involved to get my Vanangon back from Ken.

Avoid this fraud of a man Ken Morgan / Jake Lake Jake4parts

It is my understanding that Ken is involved with a piston company that will be starting up in the next few months with Investors from the Washington DC Area.

Ken Morgan has investors lined up in Washington DC and other places as they work on the project.

In fact someone out there is already testing some of the Pistons in there Vanangon Diesel right now? If you know who is involved in this project please warn them of Ken.

From what I can see this is all a big fraud to take the investors money so anyone who is potentially involved with Ken Morgan should be warned,

This man Ken Morgan / Jake Lake

IS AN EVIL FRAUD! He has a long history of ripping people off!

Search arond on the Gerry Vanagon and the Tdi Conversion Vanagon site and you will read lots of horrible stories about Ken.

Ken Morgan is EVIL

Do not buy his low budget engines they are junk and he will rip you off!
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up weloseller1,

I almost bought a transaxle off of jake lake last year. I finally scraped up enough money to buy it and when I went to his web site he was gone. Changed phone number and everything. When I talked to him on the phone he sounded like he would be in business for a while. And that he had tons of Vanagons and tons of transaxle's.

Thank god I was low on cash. I figured he got into some trouble for scamming people and had to close shop.
sundaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Jake Lake aka Ken Morgan Reply with quote

Wish I had researched more about Jake in Oct 07 when I found his web site and after talking to him ordered a rebuilt transaxle. Needless to say I also never received it to this day-same experience as others describe above.
Lots of calls and promises and sad stories- no goods.
He makes and an honest and sincere impression and fooled me too.
Has anybody tried to get their money via court order?
Which court would be addressed: Denver or my home town?

Anyways -thanks for details where to find him these days- I will forward this to my credit card company, just in case they want to persue this further.
There must be a way to stop this guy from ripping others off!
veloseller1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Ken Morgan Jake Lake Jake4parts Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear you are yet another Victim.
After I was ripped off from Ken Morgan Jake Lake I was upset so I searched some of the Various VW forums about Ken Morgan Jake Lake Jake4parts etc and I heard of a guy who paid Ken $5000 to rehab a Syncro Vanagon for his Sons Widow!
This poor guys son was a real Vanagon Lover and he died.

He loved his Van!

So the father wanted to do something really nice for his sons widow so he paid Ken Morgan Jake Lake $5000 to rebuild the engine and Transaxle.

Ken Kept the money and stole the Van and sold it as parts!

Ken new that this nice mans Son had died and that he was trying to do something really nice for the Widow and Ken ripped this man off!

Sometimes you hear stories on the internet that are not true.

But I had coffee at Starbucks in Denver with this man. He happened to be coming to Denver so we met for about 1.5 hours and talked all about the situation.

The story is real! THIS MONSTER OF A MAN KEN MORGAN JAKE LAKE RIPPED OFF THIS POOR GRIEVING FATHER.

The crazy thing is he keeps getting away with it year after year. The police seem to see it as a civil thing not criminal.

But for you and the fact it was an internet sale you should have no problem getting Ken / Jake arrested / investigated. There are several /many places that will investigate internet fraud.

I will do all I can to help you get this fraud arrested.

Thank you
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. My name is Ken Morgan, and now I feel EVIL. Just kidding...

My name is Ken Morgan, and I sure hope nobody confuses me with this schweinhunde.

Ken Morgan

Smile
calcite5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread for more updated info

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348033
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a stock type 3 longblock rebuilt from Ken/Jake in late 07. i was very pleased with the end result. Communication was great and he came up to my place to dial in the carbs once i had the motor installed. i guess i should be glad i don't have a vanagon... Laughing thanks... Cool

Kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited because I was wrong

Last edited by onwardtothestars on Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
veloseller1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: RE: KEN MORGAN JAKE LAKE Reply with quote

Ken is FAR FROM HONEST!

He is a crook and a fraud.

I have spoken with over 30 people who he has rippped off.

And I have heard countless stories.

To say he is honest is IGNORANT at best.

He is a con man.

He knows how to grease the palm gain trust and rip you off.

****DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!****
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading my post, I didn't clarify my latest experience with Ken was in 2002 or so... past that I don't know.

At one time in my experience, Ken was honest. Just REALLY slow and bad at time management.

--- EDIT ---

BUT reading all over the web there's a lot of people unhappy with him. He should man up and do something about it. Otherwise he's just a crook.

Last edited by onwardtothestars on Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
veloseller1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Ken Morgan Jake Lake Reply with quote

Ken Morgan Jake Lake

So lets say you service 30 people , And you rip off and take 15 peoples money and the other 15 people you complete the job way late maybe months later than promised but that poor Ken Morgan Jake Lake customer is "happy" atleast the Job was done,

Are you saying oh ken is good?

Just the 15 "happy" people arent speaking as loud as the 15 victims.

That logic is garbage!!!!!!

Ken is a fraud.

In life if you do 100 good jobs and rip off ONLY 2 people you become an untrustable loser.

You do this on the level of Ken Moragns fraud you should be put in Jail.

Period end of story!

Ever wonder why Ken Morgan started calling himself Jake Lake?

Thats a funny one!

Ken did this because he has such a bad reputation under Ken Morgan he made up some Bull shit fake new name.

*****DO NOT TRUST KEN MORGAN / JAKE LAKE*********
calcite5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a rebuilt tranny and power packed 2.2 engine from Ken. I never thought in a million years that a Vanagon could run so well. He installed both and helped out with trouble shouting the Vanagon idiosyncrasies that existed outside of engine and transmission replacement. Ken is stand up and passionate about what he does. He is a walking Vanagon encyclopedia!
If there is any fault to Ken, it is the fact that he spends too much time trying to help (btw...for pennies on the dollar) on issues that are unrelated to the actual motor replacement. This may be the key to his time management problem, however, as a customer of Ken's, its a problem that I can live with.
I'll have more to come in the way of pictures and a possible blog...documenting the rebuild of the 'ol '87 Westy.
veloseller1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: RE: KEN MORGAN JAKE LAKE Reply with quote

I can list 30 people who have ripped off from ken or had shit work done or worse.

So you are lucky, But as usually is the case there will come a time when
you will get burned dealing with this JERK.

I felt the same way as you at the begining and then he lied to me for many months and STOLE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skeletorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: contact with jake morgan Reply with quote

has anyone been in contact with jake morgan in the past two weeks?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: