Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What can you tell me about IRS Kits
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: What can you tell me about IRS Kits Reply with quote

what have your heard, likes, dislikes, problems?
"some-times there's a man--I won't say a hee-ro,'cause what's a hee-ro?--but sometimes there's a man, And I'm talkin' about the Dude here, sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there--and that's the Dude" - The Big Lebowski
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRS is great.

ryno's brackets are nice

wagenswest is nice too although ive heard of some fitment issues.

those two are the most cost effective in my opinion. both of these are for beetle IRS while there are some kits offered to swap in bus IRS. bus IRS is also nice as there is slightly more travel in the cv's if youre trying to go super low or super high. for stock height, either will work.

also, with IRS you will have to run a slightly smaller tires than the stock tires as IRS gearing is taller. i suppose if you had a very large motor that could handle the extra load of tall gears then you wouldnt have to get smaller tires. an early beetle IRS is a 4.12 R&P while a late beetle IRS is a 3.88 R&P. the 4.12 would work better if you want closer to stock sized tires while 3.88 would work well if you want to go low and use small tires.
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who carries ryno's brackets please?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryno (ryan) does. you can find his add here on the samba. Ryno's Dub Shop.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard you have to hack your bus to install IRS.
To me that is a large detraction.
Why are you wanting IRS? I mean, if it is a gearing thing, there are gearing options available while keeping it a bolt on swing axle trans.

I had someone tell me that I NEEDED to swap my baja truck over to IRS to get the gearing I wanted. Rolling Eyes
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to shoot whoever did this one...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we established in another thread that there is no hacking involved in an IRS swap....

maybe he wants to put IRS in just so he has something to do?

IRS is bolt on.
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking with some of the most knowledgable people in fl. Chad, Kip, Mike FP, I have decided to go with IRS for longevity and reliability and the heavy duty bay brakes. around here we have had lots of trubble with falcrum plates, and spinning drums. I want to put it to gather and never touch it again. I believe I am going with 68-69 bus Hubs, Spring plates, Axils, and trailing arms, used with a 4.12 Beetle trans with a .82 final installed. anyone know if Ryno Buckets will work with bus trailing arms.
"some-times there's a man--I won't say a hee-ro,'cause what's a hee-ro?--but sometimes there's a man, And I'm talkin' about the Dude here, sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there--and that's the Dude" - The Big Lebowski
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spell check in your friend

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will

we have had this conversation before I spell for no man.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toolman2800 wrote:
around here we have had lots of trubble with falcrum plates, and spinning drums.

Is that a regional problem? Maybe it's the humidity or the proximity to the ocean?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
i think we established in another thread that there is no hacking involved in an IRS swap....

you mean here?:
Sweet Rides wrote:
Clara wrote:
sled wrote:
IRS is a bolt on modification.

and like clara said, you can run large tires with your stock reduction boxes or put in IRS or a straight axle and run smaller tires. either way you shouldnt have a problem doing 70. much more than that, and a small engine wont have the power to overcome the poor aerodynamics of the bus.

Ah... never done an IRS, but I've heard people hack their buses to do IRS.

I didn't say run large tires, I said run STOCK OD tires.
You can also run large tires (meaning larger than stock) for effective higher gearing. ie with a 64-67 bus, running 15" wheel with stock size tires for the rims.

but before you decide to do a bunch of work/ spend a bunch of money, tell us, what is your gearing now?

Actually Clara is right. i have not seen an IRS that is a simple bolt in mod. At the very least you need to cut off the upper rear shock mounts , reposition them by a couple of inches and then reweld them in, in order to retain proper suspension geometery.

The above mod is the least invasive one i`ve seen, With the more invasive IRS kits like, the ones from Creative-enginnering for example, you have to completly cut off the frame horns all together and weld in new ones supplied in the IRS conversion kit Shocked Not a job for the diy home mechanic, I would recommend the use of an alaignment gig for this type of IRS.

Better still, i`m with Clara on this and I`d recommend sticking with good old RGB`s. With a 3.88r&P oyou`ll have a nice tall gearing that you can pair up with a bigger motor if you so desire. This, IMO, is a really good set up that doesn`t detract from the buses originality or charm.

Quote:
maybe he wants to put IRS in just so he has something to

Maybe. I dunno. That's why I asked. Wink
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we had a bad run of drums a while back then a run of bad axil tubes, a shortage of type 3 brake componets, we are mostly runnin beetle rear drums these days. I say Round Here because I haven't had time to talk to any body outside florida.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea theres no hack to irs at all...maybe a little trim if you trying to really lay it low...but I didnt have to trim too much. I bought mine from ryan...I think it may have been the first set he made for someone other than himself? I was happy with everything, props to rynos63
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
yea theres no hack to irs at all...maybe a little trim if you trying to really lay it low...but I didnt have to trim too much. I bought mine from ryan...I think it may have been the first set he made for someone other than himself? I was happy with everything, props to rynos63

did you do the T 1 or T 2 conversion
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running a 4:12 out of a 73 square...with the larger type 3 rear brakes...also runnin the thin adapter on them too to get from the 4 lug to 5 lug

pm me if you need any other details
toolman2800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
im running a 4:12 out of a 73 square...with the larger type 3 rear brakes...also runnin the thin adapter on them too to get from the 4 lug to 5 lug

pm me if you need any other details

Ya commin to Buli bugade
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:

not to argue this, but to me thats hacking, and the reason I wont run IRS. Granted it not much and most people can live with it, but I dont like cutting.

I did have a bus with IRS in it, I loved it. It is now in England

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to simply instal beetle IRS there is no cutting involved.

if you feel the need to cut then you must be trying to go low, which it does not sound like he is.

to install bus IRS there is cutting involved.

i have done a highly modified IRS swap into my bus. if i didnt want it to be super low then i wouldnt have had to make ANY cuts.

never said RGB's sucked, simply said that IRS CAN be a simply bolt on application if you so desire.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee wrote:
vw7266 wrote:

not to argue this, but to me thats hacking, and the reason I wont run IRS. Granted it not much and most people can live with it, but I dont like cutting.

I did have a bus with IRS in it, I loved it. It is now in England

fair enough...like i said mines low all I trimmed was the lip of the cradle and nothing more ...love that panel^^^
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: