Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

$245,500
1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus, Right Hand Drive, Multiple Award Winner!

This gorgeous 1954 was originally delivered to Sweden, made its way to collector hands at the Bad Camberg vintage meeting in Germany in 1995, was recently restored in the UK, has been the cover car on multiple international magazines, and has won loads of top awards at events it has attended as well.

The list of features to note include:

*Genuine 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Right Hand Drive

*Barndoor Safari Windows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

ummm...is this intended to be a whine?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

sled wrote:
ummm...is this intended to be a whine?

I'm surprised there's not an "official whine" topic here.

Here's the ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2667696

It doesn't even have the original engine Rolling Eyes Wink
Quote:
*1600cc Singlel Port Engine

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

What does it cost to build one of these?

If someone who isn't capable of anything : disassembly, rust repair, paint & body, interior, assembly etc and just farms out all of this work, what does it add up to? And let's not forget the cost of parts. I'm sure you could easily spend this amount, right ??
1964 Chop Top
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
What does it cost to build one of these?

If someone who isn't capable of anything : disassembly, rust repair, paint & body, interior, assembly etc and just farms out all of this work, what does it add up to? And let's not forget the cost of parts. I'm sure you could easily spend this amount, right ??

and you forgot the initial cost to even buy a barndoor deluxe project. Shocked

sadly barndoors (especially deluxes) are not cheap anymore. Anyone who has tried to buy a deluxe in the last 5-10 years will know this.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

If someone had the good sense to buy a nice BD deluxe in the '80s, it would cost about $5k. In the '90s, nice ones were changing hands for up to $25k. In the 2010s, the nice examples started topping $200k. I know of several private and public sales that have gone for more than this bus is advertised for.

This price is not out of line with the current market for barndoor deluxes.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

The price of the deluxe is definitely up there but, as stated, doesn't seem totally unrealistic all things considered. The question I have is more related to this bus. Very beautiful and the world's oldest, so I get the rarity, but is anyone going to pay +$200k for a single cab??

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2666889
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

myklsmyth wrote:
but is anyone going to pay +$200k for a single cab??

Well, I think a wealthy person would. If I were a millionaire, had a big disposable income, I'd probably pull the trigger. I love single cabs and that one is about as good as it gets.
1964 Chop Top
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

How long it sits in the classifieds will speak louder than any opinion. My guess is he’s waiting on that payday for a bit.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

John K. was my good friend, and we used to bus hunt in Canada. I was in on the retrieval of this one. We pulled it out of a basement garage built on a hillside in the early 1990s. The bus was completely buried in junk, and we really didn't know exactly what we had until we pulled it outside.

There was no engine, but it still had its original crashbox. When John found the Avondale bus, he had the original engine from that one restored to put into this one, but I'm not sure what ever happened to it.

I have photos of that retrieval stashed away somewhere.

Heinz Nordhoff
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

Reminds me of the quote "Never paid too much, just bought too soon".

There's only one world's oldest singlecab, also its the oldest bus sold thru "Volkswagen of Canada" . (Florians 52 Deluxe is older, but it was sold prior to the creation of VW of Canada.)

If someone wants it, I'm sure its worth every penny.
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Reminds me of the quote "Never paid too much, just bought too soon".

Reminds me of real estate over the past 10 years. I thought it was ridiculous what people were paying, but based on prices now and the current interest rates, those prices were cheeeeaaaapppp...
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

Aw c'mon!

If you've only got $146,000 to spend, there's this one...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2669115

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Aw c'mon!

Right. I think that supports what Jake is saying. Buy this one and see how much it takes you to get to where the one you are selling is (Not to mention the time and that's if everything works out right and you are not burned by the paint guy, interior guy, etc. etc.). Just buy the one that is done....well, assuming you have a 1/4 mil. Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

myklsmyth wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Aw c'mon!

Right. I think that supports what Jake is saying. Buy this one and see how much it takes you to get to where the one you are selling is (Not to mention the time and that's if everything works out right and you are not burned by the paint guy, interior guy, etc. etc.). Just buy the one that is done....well, assuming you have a 1/4 mil. Laughing

Supports the saying: The difference between a $5000 Bus and a $15,000 is $14,000.

Early VWs have become a rich man's hobby. Only the hard core people that have them, got them years ago before they got stupid expensive.

Billy Joel doesn't sell the 2 front rows of his concerts since only the rich people that can afford to buy them from the scalpers get those seats. Instead he has people go to the nose bleed section and upgrade people. 6 years ago my family was there and we got upgraded.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are still those that support the "little" (wo)man.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

And even that one might be ok, considering the quality of metal work and that one can inspect the bare shell beforehand.

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Aw c'mon!

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

There are still hardcore people, working into owning or building their dream bus. May need to donate a kidney and other stuff, or work on them for decades, but they are still out there ! Wink

Glenn wrote:

Early VWs have become a rich man's hobby. Only the hard core people that have them, got them years ago before they got stupid expensive.

myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
There are still hardcore people, working into owning or building their dream bus. May need to donate a kidney and other stuff, or work on them for decades, but they are still out there ! Wink

Glenn wrote:

I don't know if I'm considered hardcore, but it's the reason I purchased the bus that I did..I'm not rich! Time will tell how long it will take me and how much money it will cost, and whether or not that was wise, but I'm a dreamer. At least I will always have the memory of being by Sled's 52 and him saying, "I thought mine was bad" Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
And even that one might be ok, considering the quality of metal work and that one can inspect the bare shell beforehand.

That's why you need to document the restoration.

Without the paperwork and pictures... it's a crap shoot.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon - 1954 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Sunroof Microbus $245,500 Reply with quote

agreed on documentation.
All the high $ buses being discussed here seem to have plenty of documentation and exposure. I think it's fair to ask good money for good work.
That said personally I am NOT one of the future buyers. Not donating kidneys, but like Mike said, giving it all to try building a thing on a proper budget. So I guess there still can be both types of bus people. maybe even 3.

building great buses and earn their living.
buying great buses.
building backyard buses for own joy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: