Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a rusty gas tank, what do I do..?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: I have a rusty gas tank, what do I do..? Reply with quote

Hi folks,
My bus sat for 5 years or so and the tank was almost half full.. I've drained the bad gas, but I have a feeling that it's rusty as hell inside. I can't really tell because it's a 58 w/o the sending unit, so I'm just going to assume that there's rust in there. I'm curious to see what's the best way of taking care of this.. I've heard of a do it your self kit but not sure how that would work, plus I don't think having it flushed and treated cost all that much.. right? I'm in So Cal Inland area. Does anyone know of a good place to take it to?

Thanks for the help
Very Happy
1989 Volkswagen Vanagon Bluestar: Flat in the back
oldeskooloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you buy a new tank.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your tank may not be as bad as you think it is. get some strong parts cleaner like simple green/ purple power , and clean the inside well. you can use a length of chain to slosh around and help loosen up the deposits. use a wooden stick to help remove real thick sturborn deposits. the aftermarket tanks out there are thinner and don't fit as well as your og.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank is in nice shape otherwise, take it to a local shop. Radiator repair shops often will clean out your tank for a reasonable charge. I wouldn't mess with it because of the fumes and chemicals involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into getting a new tank, but I think they all have a hole for the sending unit, I would have to somehow have the hole welded or just install a sending but not using it. Not sure if that's what I would do since I'm going "original" with my bus. But the simple green idea seems like a good weekend project. Not sure what you mean by length of chain.. something like a bicycle chain? the bus gas tank has a pretty long filler neck to it, you think i would have a problem getting it back out? Also what do I do with the water that comes out of it..? Could that just go to the drain..? Perhaps taking it to the radiator shop is a best idea. I just go a quote for $45 to do the job Very Happy
1989 Volkswagen Vanagon Bluestar: Flat in the back
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat in the back wrote:
I've looked into getting a new tank, but I think they all have a hole for the sending unit, I would have to somehow have the hole welded or just install a sending but not using it. Not sure if that's what I would do since I'm going "original" with my bus. But the simple green idea seems like a good weekend project. Not sure what you mean by length of chain.. something like a bicycle chain? the bus gas tank has a pretty long filler neck to it, you think i would have a problem getting it back out? Also what do I do with the water that comes out of it..? Could that just go to the drain..? Perhaps taking it to the radiator shop is a best idea. I just go a quote for $45 to do the job Very Happy

For $45 I'd let them do it but be sure they aren't going to punch additonal holes in it so it will sink easier in their tank. Some places want to punch a couple of holes in it and then they patch the holes when they're done. Ask them up front if that is what they are going to do. You don't need any more holes in the tank, patched or not. Here's a good do-it-yourself link for a bay tank but it's really a PIA. Let the rad shop do it. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of my old tanks I have taken to a radiator shop to have steam/pressure cleaned, then lined. They also brazed in a patch by the outlet on one of them where it was paper thin from rust. $50 to $75 and it's done. Otherwise, I have heard POR has a good sealer product. You definately want to seal the inside of the tank if it has had any rust. Just flushing it out, even if you use rocks, chains, BBs (I've heard lots of ideas for abraisives to help knock off the rust) isnt enough. It'll continue to rust and flake, clogging your fuel filter or carb. Sealing it is your best bet.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really a bicycle chain but a few feet of regular chain, fairly heavy if you can find it. keep one end out the filler neck so you can retrieve it. basically you are just trying to loosen up the sludge. try soaking it with simple green for a weekend or longer and flushing it out with hot water.
if your tank really is rusted through you can use a later tank and leave a sender in there unconnected.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gallon of muriatic acid from a pool store mixed with 6 or 7 gallons of water will eat all traces of rust away. Read up on the procedure, it's been documented here before. Works well, but getting rid of the solution afterward can be problematic.

Seal the tank afterward, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used POR 15 tank sealer and followed directions with bad results.
I sold that tank for a better 67 only tank with with light rust on bottom inside (no rust flakes) and no dents.

I found this company online in PA. Quick turn around and did a great job with a lifetime written guarantee. Reasonable price IMO.

http://www.gas-tank.com/

I wanted to keep mine stock and 67 hump only gas tanks are not reproduced.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by brettsvw on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keysar
Samba Grammar Tutor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my tank, I would put a couple of rocks in there, with some paint thinner... And rattle it around a bit.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a vented tank. Once you have any rust present any moisture from H2o will cause more rust and clogged prefilters.

For less than three hundred shipped I will hopefully have no worries.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW just introduced a new reproduction tank in their latest newsletter and supposedly this one actually fits. $149 but it's set up for a fuel gauge sender. They will sell you a block off plate separately if you don't need the sender hole.

Quote:
EARLY 1955-1967 BUS FUEL TANK
Fuel is a precious commodity these days, so why waste a drop? If your current tank is suffering from typical wear and tear, now is the perfect time to replace. Unlike current aftermarket fuel tanks, our version is modeled after the original, which means no haggling and fuss upon installation. For durability, our tanks are constructed from factory-correct gauge steel. To top it off, each tank is generously powder coated in the correct grey/blue color hue. Made by Wolfsburg West.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201055B

If anybody buys one, report back!

Keysar wrote:
If it were my tank, I would put a couple of rocks in there, with some paint thinner... And rattle it around a bit.

Keysar, you obviously have never seen a really bad tank!

Last edited by dstefun on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysar wrote:

That's the way we used to do it. Worked well.
Augsburg57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
WW just introduced a new reproduction tank in their latest newsletter and supposedly this one actually fits. $149 but it's set up for a fuel gauge sender. They will sell you a block off plate separately if you don't need the sender hole.

Quote:
Fuel is a precious commodity these days, so why waste a drop? If your current tank is suffering from typical wear and tear, now is the perfect time to replace. Unlike current aftermarket fuel tanks, our version is modeled after the original, which means no haggling and fuss upon installation. For durability, our tanks are constructed from factory-correct gauge steel. To top it off, each tank is generously powder coated in the correct grey/blue color hue. Made by Wolfsburg West.

Keysar wrote:

X2 !!

Yes, if anyone buys one of the WW gas tanks, please report back.

spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the rock thing, beware there are baffles inside the tank that will make it VERY difficult to get them back out. I called around to several radiator shops in the Dallas area, and no one would touch it. They all said they haven't done anything like that in many many years because it was cheaper these days to just buy a new tank (I hate American consumerism...). I seriously doubt it's cheaper, more likely people are just lazy shits.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muratic acid!!! Its DIY, if your in the Inland Empire so Im sure you can just storm drain it.......lol

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
Keysar
Samba Grammar Tutor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see! Well, thats what I did with my tank, any way... and it was pretty clean, but yes, your right, I havn't seen a bad tank!

I wounder, how bad, it really is Confused
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augsburg57 wrote:
dstefun wrote:

Quote:

Keysar wrote:

X2 !!

x3 I saw the newsletter and was like whoa.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Bob wrote:
Augsburg57 wrote:
dstefun wrote:

Quote:

Keysar wrote:

X2 !!

x3 I saw the newsletter and was like whoa.

I'll have one Monday to check out and fit in one of my buses
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: