Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC condenser
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: AC condenser Reply with quote

Might be a dumb question. Might have been asked before but I couldn't find anything in search. But here goes...

My 71 super originally had factory AC. The compressor is gone but the lines, drier, and condenser are still there. Has anyone ever tried plumbing oil lines to the condeser and using it as an oil cooler? It seems like it would work but I am a little iffy on pressure. I'm sure the condeser passages are small.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AC condenser Reply with quote

Since you have been a member longer than I, have a higher post count than I, and, according to your signature, have owned more VW's than I, I shall hesitate to disagree with your opening statement.

USMCbug wrote:
Might be a dumb question.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AC condenser Reply with quote

Since you really don't know if the condenser's oil passages, it would be prudent to pass on the idea. Better safe than sorry.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: AC condenser Reply with quote

Unfortunately no it won't work
Condensers are designed for shedding heat from hot gas not a thick liquid so they have way too small passages to use as oil coolers.
They are also way way larger than an oil cooler so you would have no pressure left by the time it went through and thirdly refrigerant and its oil is hygroscopic so unless when your compressor was removed the lines were sealed up air tight the condenser would be trash anyway.

BTW there's no such thing as factory A/C, it was all dealer fitted accessory
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: AC condenser Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Unfortunately no it won't work
Condensers are designed for shedding heat from hot gas not a thick liquid so they have way too small passages to use as oil coolers.
They are also way way larger than an oil cooler so you would have no pressure left by the time it went through and thirdly refrigerant and its oil is hygroscopic so unless when your compressor was removed the lines were sealed up air tight the condenser would be trash anyway.

BTW there's no such thing as factory A/C, it was all dealer fitted accessory

That was my initial concern with size and pressure. Still. Might be a good location for an af oil cooler.

I realize it's a dealer installed system. I use the term factory loosely.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: