Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any one tried 205R14 on the alloy wheels?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlefebvre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Any one tried 205R14 on the alloy wheels? Reply with quote

I was just going to buy a set of 205R14 Comtrac for my 91 Westy but the seller advised against it because the larger diameter would make the Westy even slower going up hills. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are about 1" taller than a 205/70/14 and would be expected to gear you up about 5% (according to here http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp ).

Here is a pretty good site for comparing various tire sizes but they do not list the "no aspect" ratio so you need to use about 80 or 82 when offered.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.1010tires.c...WnlCn76ZkA

You may want to consider using a 195R14 with is about 1/2" taller than a 185R14 and about 1/2 smaller than a 205R14.

Last edited by Randy in Maine on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: 205/70/R14 Tires Reply with quote

The 205/70/R14 tire is about the same size or diameter as the 184/80or82/R14 tire. The difference is the aspect ratio which is the ratio of the tread width to the sidewall height. The 205 tire has a sidewall height that is 70% of the treadwidth. The 185 tire usually has a sidewall height of 80 or 82% of the treadwidth. An equivalent 195 tire is 195/75/R14. All have similar tire height.
Some people think a wider tread size provides more stability. The wider treadwidth does have a slightly higher rolling resistance which can affect fuel economy. When choosing a tire, the most important consideration should be the presence of a reinforced sidewall, best found in a light truck tire. I have 185/82/R14 Continental Vanco-8 tires which are one of the few that meet load ratings for the Vanagon on a stock 14" rim.
What is the specific tire you are considering?
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought... I have 14" factory mags on my 82 Westy
I run Sumitomo HTR 200 205/70HR14 95H tires and they're about 1% off from the original stock size so your speedo will be damn close. The upside is they're 70 series tires, have a 95 load index (1521 lb), a max inflation of 51 psi, are H-rated tires and the "UTQG" is 380 treadwear, A traction and A temp.
Not to mention TireRack has them for $49 a piece.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=S...d_rating=H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: