Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pinzgauer related to Syncros?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Pinzgauer related to Syncros? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This company got the contract to develope the 4wd hardware for the Syncro Vanagons according to Towel Rail. These are aircooled. They may just be distant cousins rather.

Other sites to drool on. (with cool videos inside each one.) Laughing
http://northeastoffroad.com
http://rmpinzgauers.org/pinzgauerstuff.htm

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image

Last edited by Van-go108 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they did design the syncro drivetrain but they are not very similar.the pinz has portal axles with 1+ton drivetrain.the engine is an air-cooled 4 cylinder inline Steyr Daimler Puch gas engine.if you go to www.mogsrus.com look under the difinitive pinzgauer.i bought my unimog from this dealer.i would have bought a pinz but they are at least $5000 more than a mog.i sold the mog but would buy another in a heartbeat(if the budget would allow)
2006 jeep commander
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends is trying to sell me his Pinz. I didn't know much about them. After seeing these sites, I realized how cool they are. There's a whole forum set up for em'. They seem to be in the 15k to 17.5 k range normally but, I could score a serious discount on his. seems a cool thing locally between Arizona and New Mexico.

1973 Thing
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want proffesional info from a true expert about pinz/unimog talk to thilo klass at www.mogsrus.com.he wont try to sell you one of his as much as he will just try to sell the vehicle in general.he loves them and is the most knowlegble person ive ever met about these vehicles. this is from his site........"There are several good reasons why you might want to buy your
Unimog or Pinzgauer from Thilo:

Double Certified German Mechanical Engineer with over 26 years experience

Fluent in both German and English

Handles European Imports

Full parts supply with continuously growing inventory
Custom designs and fabrications of parts and accessories, such as winch bumpers, exhaust systems, etc.
*Licenced and Bonded Arizona Dealer #L00003672

*ADVANTAGES of buying from a licenced and bonded dealer:
Fully clear and legal documents; full service for title and registration; TRP (Temporary Registration Plate) or 30 day non-resident permits available on location at any time so vehicle can be purchased and driven off the lot right away; Some financing institutions require an appraisal from a licensed dealer before approving a loan--T-LO's will provide that at no expense for buyers.
If you want to talk to a "salesman", please look elsewhere. However, if you want to talk to a full-time practioner of his trade, talk to Thilo. Thilo is a source of facts and straight-forward information -- he tells the truth about these vehicles. For instance: Thilo knows why some of the higher mileage vehicles could be a better buy -- he can tell you why mileage statements are irrelevant in most cases; the vehicle should speak for itself.
2006 jeep commander
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unimog 401, the first ever westfalia bodied 4x4.

in 1953. Cool

JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108, are there many Vanagons in your area? I have been through there a few times going to Lake Roberts. I have not had the chance to camp in my van there yet but it's comming.
6x6pinz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pinzgauer at the top of this page is my 712M. The picture is from a trail in NW Arizona called presidents choice. I also have a 710M. The 712's are 6x6 and the 710's are 4x4. The engines are in fact air cooled and similar in design to the VW engines.

There are several events each year that the Mogs, Pinzgauers, Volvos and Syncros or any other european vehicles can attend. A chance for these enthusiast to get together and share their unique vehicles.

If you are so inclined there are some good videos of the pinzgauer in action on youtube search pinzgauer. I am the current president of the South West Pinzgauer Association and have posted some videos of my pinzgauers doing what they do best.

The trucks are scattered across the US with concentrations in socal, co, az and nm. I noticed one of the members here from silver city, one of the police officers in silver city has a 712. We met him when we had our Treffen at Lake Roberts in '06.

If you have any questions you are welcome to visi our website at www.swpinzgauer.org and post them in the newsgroup section.

Thanks, Mike
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that's him alright. Big Mike we call him. Here's a pic of his at the station were I park my city 4x4 for work.

They are costy but very cool.

1973 Thing
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JunkYarDog wrote:
Van-go108, are there many Vanagons in your area?

Three or four daily drivers (mine included.) There's a hightop in storage in the Historic District but it never moves. I see several blowing through town so I always wave and try to identlfy if I know it. Laughing

The Black Range has some really cool camp sites too. Hardly anybody knows the area. no one around.

1973 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: