Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

installing Recaro seats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross posting from my syncro thread...

go westy no longer sells the cool looking adapter brackets that chris posted photos of on page 1. they now mount their recaros by drilling an extra, off-center hole in the slider track so that it can be mounted at a narrower width. they supply nifty "nuts" that slide inside the factory seat tracks and the modified sliders can then be bolted into VW tracks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

obviously this must work with the recaro seats they sell, but with an older set of "style topline" seats that i purchased, the sliders cannot be moved inwards due to interference with the seat frame. thus i would caution anyone to check your seats before ordering their "adapter".

and maybe give a bit of thought to how you feel about your seat being bolted down through some swiss cheese of intersecting holes. i wouldn't feel safe, and the mechanical engineer i showed these to agreed.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run those adapters in my Westy and they are plenty strong . There is no movement once bolted down .The washers cover the holes .
They were priced at the same price as generic ones on E bay and I didn't have to modify anything .
You can still buy genuine adapters from Recaro ,they do look better as they have a side cover . I do not care for the big bent rod at the front ,it digs into your thighs .
I had stock armrests added to my Recaro . Much nicer than Recaro arm rests as they are fully adjustable and do not lock up or down .
I had it recovered in stock material and it looks like it grew there .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the new Gowesty aftermarket recaro brackets. I paid $200 but I saw the same ones from ebay for $50. Only thing is the ones that Gowesty sells has the correct holes drilled and special nuts.

Works really great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Hobbit Bastard wrote:
It looks like this topic has been quite for a few years but I thought I'd start here rather than starting a new thread. Does anyone know what is involved with installing power/adjustable/heated Recaros in a Vangaon? I found a set of Recaros from an '89 Jetta GLI and the price was too good to let go (got the enire enterior for $300). I made this purchase no know what was involved to fit these power Recaros in a Vanagon. I know GoWesty sells the Recaro adaptor brackets and Andys Auto Sport (http://www.andysautosport.com/volkswagen/1980_1991_vanagon/interior/seats/seat_bracket/recaro/) has 4 different brackets types ($100/pair) however neither sites seems to indicate whether the brackets work with manual Recaros only or both manual and power. I do have access to a few fabricator friends if something needs to be made or if adaptor brackets need to be modified. If anyone has any experience with this or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

[/img]

Are these heated?

I just installed my passengers one today!! I didn't realize they were heated?? also any idea on how to clean em? mine are in great nick just need a good cleaning!

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just electric "tilt". No heat in those. Great seats for sure. They hold up unbelievably well.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almo wrote:
Little Hobbit Bastard wrote:
It looks like this topic has been quite for a few years but I thought I'd start here rather than starting a new thread. Does anyone know what is involved with installing power/adjustable/heated Recaros in a Vangaon? I found a set of Recaros from an '89 Jetta GLI and the price was too good to let go (got the enire enterior for $300). I made this purchase no know what was involved to fit these power Recaros in a Vanagon. I know GoWesty sells the Recaro adaptor brackets and Andys Auto Sport (http://www.andysautosport.com/volkswagen/1980_1991_vanagon/interior/seats/seat_bracket/recaro/) has 4 different brackets types ($100/pair) however neither sites seems to indicate whether the brackets work with manual Recaros only or both manual and power. I do have access to a few fabricator friends if something needs to be made or if adaptor brackets need to be modified. If anyone has any experience with this or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

[/img]

Are these heated?

I just installed my passengers one today!! I didn't realize they were heated?? also any idea on how to clean em?

Rent a Rug Doctor from a local hardware store or grocery. Works fine.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Recaro Ergomeds, and the GoWesty seat brackets / adapters. My issue is that the bracket sliders won't move forward enough to clear the seat cushion so that I can bolt in from the top Crying or Very sad Anyone have ideas?

The tracks are moved forward as far as possible, but still no access from top (seat) side.

...and yes, i know that the seat release mechanism is backwards, but it also won't clear the front of the seats if i put it frontwards. It is like the entire seat's setup has the mounting points shifted towards the back...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you remove the brackets from the seat, install them in the van, and then bolt the seats back to the brackets one they are installed?
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Could you remove the brackets from the seat, install them in the van, and then bolt the seats back to the brackets one they are installed?

I wasn't able to get the sliders fully apart (two pieces), in order to try that approach Sad
KindaHippyish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a set of Recaro seats and got them because they looked to be in great condition, but also because the brackets that were coming with them looked a lot like Hugo's from the first page. I know Hugo had an issue with the height, but Christopher mentioned cutting the lower two holes off and mounting to the top-most hole with the Wedge adaptors.

I wanted to check-in here first to get some thoughts from you folks before I go off buying Wedge adaptors.

Thanks in advance!
1986 Vanagon GL Syncro 2.1L WBX 4SPD - RIP Sad
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
rsxsr wrote:

I wasn't able to get the sliders fully apart (two pieces), in order to try that approach Sad

I wasn't thinking about taking the sliders apart only removing them entirely from the seat attaching, to the van and then bolting the seats back. It looks from the picture there are two allen bolts I can see. I assume there are two more identical bolts I can't see. If you can't slide the seat rails enough to expose the two hidden bolts, you could drill an access hole in the rails covering the bolts. To make it easier, you could replace the bolts with studs and then use nuts and washers to secure it.

Sorry for the late post. I missed your reply. Hopefully you figured it out on your own.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

Bumping this old thread to add a bit more info.

I got my mk2 vw trophy recaros installed a few weeks ago.

I pieced together my own "DIY gowesty kit". I would have just ordered it, but it's not listed on their site.

Their video outlines the installation process:

Link

And this PDF lists the parts needed to get them installed:
http://www.gowesty.com/files/Recaro%20Install%20-%20Vanagon.pdf
I bought the cheapest universal sliders I could find ($80/pr.):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonic-Motor-Universal-Bott...2749.l2649

They are identical to what GW is modifying

And then I bought this hardware:
( 8 ) M8 x 1.25 x 20 SS - To bolt sliders to seats
( 8 ) M8 Washers - Flat washers - To bolt sliders to seats (I actually couldn't get these bolts to clear with washers, so I'm running without for now)
( 8 ) M6 x 1.00 x 16 12.9 Grade - To bolt sliders to seat rails on van
( 8 ) M6 Washers - To bolt sliders to seat rails on van

The modification to the sliders is pretty straight forward - you need to drill 4 holes total.

Measuring the distance between the center point of the rails on the stock seats and the center point on the rails of the recaros will tell you where to drill. Or you can just eyeball it from the photos in this thread.

Drill further toward the center, otherwise the bolt head will hit the sliding part (see second pic).

Button head screws would give more clearance, but I couldn't find the right size locally.

Notice how the bolt interferes with the slider if it's too far toward the outside:

All bolted up and sliding:

To make the threaded inserts that slot into the stock rails on the van (see GW video above), I used 3/8" bar stock. Drilled and tapped to 6mm x 1.00. Mine aren't the perfect length, but they work.

The 6mm bolts actually give you a lot of room to compensate, in case you didn't drill the holes in exactly the right spots. They should be Grade 12.9.

Seats installed:

Overall impressions:
I've had these seats in my mk2 golf for a few years and they're fantastic. Honestly though, I don't find the stock vanagon seats uncomfortable. But these are still a huge improvement, even without armrests.

The driver's seat doesn't swivel, and I didn't use spacers to raise the seat height. For me, at 6"5', the height is perfect. It's actually lower than the stock seat. Passenger side is on a swivel, and I never sit there, so it's fine too.

The only thing that bothers me is the amount of time it will now take to remove and install the seats. Since my aux. fuse box is under the driver's seat, it's just one more thing to do in order to wire up something new.

Also... Arm rests are a necessity! This will be the next project. I have dark brown seat covers coming from L-Seat, and will install the stock adjustable arm rests from the vanagon seats at the same time.

While they're apart I'm probably going to add lumbar support and heated elements. Cool
bizarre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

I managed to come across some VW swivel bases with Recaro rails mounted on them

They are NOS bases from a camper company in Australia called Trakka

Were not cheap but work a treat and I am happy with them

[/img]
Fogerty1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

I just recently threw in some Recaro seats a friend of mine found on CL for $150 but didn't end up fitting in his Element. I can't remember the model of the seats, but they are the ones with the three hole bracket coming off the sliders, which the seats came with. Since this thread kinda dealt with that bracket, I wanted to describe how we modded up my seats.

I really liked member erste's strategy, which follows loosely GW's use of a piece of square stock inserted into the van mounting bracket and is tapped to accept a M6x1.00 socket head bolt, which they detailed in this thread.

Instead of the Wedge bracket, I used a piece of 1.25"x1/8" angle, cut to 17" in the back and 1.5" individual pieces in the front. Those pieces were attached to the 3/8" stock through existing holes in the front of the van bracket and holes drilled in the rear to accept the inside length of the Recaro brackets, which were 15.5".

Then we drilled some holes in the upper part of the angle and attached the seat to the angle with 13mm bolts and blue locktite.

All in all, it was pretty simple. The angle was $8 (one 48" piece). The hardware cost about $25.

The seats are incredible. Night and day doesn't do it justice. It's more like, Great White and Guppy. My 34 year old seats were trashed anyway. I did remove the swivel for the driver's seat to retain as much stock height as I could. I never used the swivel anyway. The passenger seat retains the swivel and sits about 1/2" higher. The driver's seat feels almost the same as stock.
Cheers,
Chris

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -T. Waits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

ugh, do you know what car those blue recarros came from? I have been trying to them for quite a while. Someone thought police version of the monte carlo but I can't find them anywhere.

need them for a period correct mini-truck...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

What a deal man. My friend has recaro and I felt like my back problems were being healed each minute I sat in them.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
ugh, do you know what car those blue recarros came from?

9C3 Police Package Chevy Lumina

Good luck. Fogerty1970 got an incredible deal on those Cool
Fogerty1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

Erik G: Yup. Erste is right...
They came from a Chevy Lumina that was used by a police detective in a city north of where I am.
Cheers

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -T. Waits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

Fogerty1970 wrote:
I just recently threw in some Recaro seats a friend of mine found on CL for $150

Were they that cheap because they don't have armrests? Razz Laughing Wow... killer deal!

Fogerty1970 wrote:
The seats are incredible. Night and day doesn't do it justice. It's more like, Great White and Guppy.

Absolutely. I can now drive my van for 2 hours without needing to stop.

Fogerty1970 wrote:
I did remove the swivel for the driver's seat to retain as much stock height as I could.

That's what I need to do mine. The only negative (for me) to the comfy Recaros + swivel is sitting higher... currently using a foot "wedge" at the gas pedal. [Edit July 2018: Done! Swivel removal did the trick. Lowered the seat 1.5--2"... much better height for driving! Very Happy ]
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: installing Recaro seats Reply with quote

Fogerty1970 wrote:
Erik G: Yup. Erste is right...
They came from a Chevy Lumina that was used by a police detective in a city north of where I am.
Cheers

thanks gentlemen, It's on my ebay list now. Blue 80's lowrider mini-truck needs blue recaros

shagginwagon83 wrote:

My friend has recaro and I felt like my back problems were being healed each minute I sat in them.

Absolutely. The Recaro Trophy model from the late 80's early 90's Jetta GLI were so good, I looked forward to my commute. In the 90's we had to put locks on them... Same with Honda Prelude seats...

Thanks again guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: