Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another one lost!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Another one lost! Reply with quote

Today I had the chance to go by my friends house to check on his Oval. He lives on the water and unfortunately his '56 Oval w/37,000 miles went under water during Hurricane Ivan. He wasn't able to get it moved out before the storm. What a shame. He had bought this car a number of yrs back and had taken it straight to his home and tucked it in the garage to save for when he retired. So he never even drove it! It had a little over 37,000 on the odometer. He got most of the body treated the best he could but the motor/tranny are toast. The car had one respray early in its life but it was a well maintained and at one time, clean car! Hopefully he'll be able to do something with it down the road!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice og door pulls and guards!

Put there by original owner.

You can barely make out the milage at a bit over 37,000. Check out the extra numbers on the speedo face.

What a bummer Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the cool VW lighthouse accessory option. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I hope he can get back on the road.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much for the bumpers and door panel guards?
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those door panel guards are cool.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markm wrote:
How much for the bumpers and door panel guards?

Nothing is for sale ,yet. There is another '56 sitting next to this one. Its a basketcase. It was the car Guy (owner) and his sister drove to high school. He plans on pulling a few pieces he might need off of it for the "good" car. I told him about the samba and when he's ready he'll start selling what he doesn't need. The guards are cool though. Not sure if you can see them in the pics, but the car has what looks like a "full set" of them. 3 on each running board (front-center-rear)
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he want to sell either of the ovals?
die schwarzen Schafe #666
ssbn659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it a loss? Wouldn't it be a good candidate for a body off restoration?
I've never done a restoration and I still consider myself new to the VWs but it would seem to me that it could be saved especially when I think about the others that have been saved with a lot of serious cancer.
71 Plymouth Barracuda
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssbn659 wrote:
Why is it a loss? Wouldn't it be a good candidate for a body off restoration?
I've never done a restoration and I still consider myself new to the VWs but it would seem to me that it could be saved especially when I think about the others that have been saved with a lot of serious cancer.

Maybe my title should have had a question mark instead of an exclamation. You have to understand this car was under 7 feet of salt water! The dent on the roof is from the truss giving way and pinning it down in the garage. The water line is almost a foot above the garage door frame. Lost maybe not, but it would have to taken down 100% to see what needs to be done. Its already been 3 yrs since it happened. I couldn't see the underside but I imagine the water got up inside the front beam-frame head-rear torsion housing. All he has done is pull it out and open it up. He pulled down motor and tranny and they were GONE! He sprayed the inside of the shell but thats about it. He know that if he can't get to it before too much longer its gonna get worse!
ssbn659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see, salt water is a major bummer. I knew it would need to be completely taken apart, blasted etc. .

Thanks for the reply, I love this site so much to learn. Smile
71 Plymouth Barracuda
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was his house? 7 feet sounds like everything in a couple mile radius is a total lost.

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw-in-neptune wrote:
how was his house? 7 feet sounds like everything in a couple mile radius is a total lost.

The garage is downgrade from the house. So the house only got about a foot. A lot of the Pensacola area is a @ 15 to 20 above sea level. So everyone on the coastline suffered flood damage, and some lowlying neighborhoods got leveled out.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was under water. Water dries out. And it's not like it was restored to begin with.
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd jump on that car in a second. It was nice, but still is and can be fixed. Dont give up on it now.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
So it was under water. Water dries out. And it's not like it was restored to begin with.

Yeah under salt water for almost 12 hrs. Not to mention the few weeks it took for him to get it apart. And the other thing is it didn't need to be restored. This car was a clean driver when he got it. The big issue is time. The owner still has a house/garage that needs to be fixed. Once he gets that done then he can get the oval the rest of the way apart and see what can be saved.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt water? Like at the beach salt water? Like it got wet and then dried? I guess the remains of the salt water are slowly eating away at it,and spraying it off with fresh water can't save it now,right? Rolling Eyes
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Willis wrote:
Salt water? Like at the beach salt water? Like it got wet and then dried? I guess the remains of the salt water are slowly eating away at it,and spraying it off with fresh water can't save it now,right? Rolling Eyes

Theres a lot of places you just can't easily get to with a water hose. And even if you did that how can you be sure you got all the fresh water out? Unless you put it on a rotiserrie. And its been 3 yrs since the Hurricane and you can see where its starting to poke through in a lot of places. If the damage had been dealt with then it might be fine, but now that its 3 yrs after the fact and it will be god knows how long until he does do something, its only gonna get worse. And unfortunately he will not sell it. It may see the road again, butit will never be the car it once was.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the owner is a jackass if he doesnt fix it! I've fixed rust way worse than that.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the owner needs some cash, figures its worth more in parts than whole, and needs justification to cut it up.

Its salt water and probably some sewage, but its not terminal. Stash it someplace safe till you have the dough, or sell to someone who can restore it. Whatever you do, do it soon. The longer it sits there, the worse off it will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewane Frase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: another one lost Reply with quote

Someone needs to be creative. . Take all the parts off split the body from the pan take the engine and tranny out and then swish it in fresh water for a couple of days. The salt will dilute and be a non issue! Exclamation
DF
-------------------
53 zwitter
55 vert Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: