Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine won't start
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: engine won't start Reply with quote

Ok I have finally bought my bus Yay And it is having trouble starting.
It will run if pushed it will not start if the starter is used and if i put it on the power then it still wont start it turns over once then it stops turning is there something with the wireing What is going on !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
codeMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a guess, replace the battery
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tryed it didnt work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a new bus for you, you should probably go through all of the basic stuff. Check all of the battery cable connections, on the starter and also the ground strap from the transaxle to the frame. These are under the car and a bit of a hassle but that's why they're always dirty. Disconnect them and go after them with a wire brush. Check basic tune-up stuff, points, plugs, timing. You want to eliminate as many variables that are easy to do first, it will help narrow down your search for the problem and on a new purchase, should be done anyway. How does it run once you get it started? When you turn the key does the engine actually spin over? Your battery might have enough juice to run the engine but not enough to make it through the bad connections.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we push start it. It runs good but it idles high i know how to fix that so that isnt a big deal. The previous owner had just put in the engine and trans so that is all new. It is so much fun to drive i love it.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything was just put in, you might want to check the nuts on the starter to be sure they are tight. If they are the least bit loose the starter will cock alittle & the gears won't mesh. I experienced this bench starting a motor with a tranny bell housing and a starter I had lying around. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning the motor more then once if that when I touched the wires to start it & bot that starter was hot. I finally noticed the starter moving alittle each time I tried to start the motor, so I tighten up the nuts & it turned rite over. Just a shot in the dark, but might be worth checking while your under there checking wires.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will try thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing do a complete tune up. Then check for voltage drops in the wiring and fix them. For that see:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257577

You can also have the battery and starter checked at your FLAPS. Check that the carb accelerator nozzle is not partly clogged.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagnose your VD.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience with this issue is starter connections being filled with crap and need to be cleaned off, or the battery being dead. but good luck, push starting a bus is no fun, it to big and to heavy, not like push starting a beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
codeMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could also be as simple as your battery does not have the required cranking amps
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok today i took of the starter and put in a new one
The starter wire was messed up so we fixed that
I put it back on tight and turned it over at first it was good then the same thing

I noticed today that there are no wires coming of the alternator and i do not know which ones should be on there help

can there be to much compression in the engine Confused
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go buy a whole bunch of other parts, when you run out of money go back up to the link eric and barb posted and read it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillon schuh wrote:
I noticed today that there are no wires coming of the alternator and i do not know which ones should be on there help

Which alternator??

There is a two wire one that has an internal regulator and the three wire ones that have an external regulator.

Are you charging up the battery with a battery charger???

If not and the alternator is not connected the battery is just getting drained and to go much below 10.5 volts will damage it. Plus that would cause your starting problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: