Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

using an oil cooler as a heater core?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: using an oil cooler as a heater core? Reply with quote

tried searching this out.......with no luck, has anyone on here seen or tried to use a remote mounted oil cooler for a source of heat in a bus?
I've had remote coolers mounted above my transmission on my bugs and was thinking that with some creative ducting and the corrct placement of an electric fan i could have some good heat in my bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it for a lot of reasons.

I think even Barney's gave up on this....

http://vanity.qwestdex.com/barneysimportparts/Page7.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeeeewwww i hope he has....... that kit looks nothing like what i was thinking about. why would someone sell that without high pressure fittings?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with it is that when you want heat in the car (like in winter), the oil is too cool. YOu want the oil to be at least 185º all of the time.

When you do not want heat (like int he summer time), the oil has plenty of heat.

You could almost get yoru heaters to work for that $200.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only considering this option because my heaters do work quite well but still not enough. I don't anticipate any problems in the winter with my oil not being hot enough. wheather hot or cold outside the engine still functions within a heat range. i'm sure i can make something sweet was just curious if anyone had already tried.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Blow forced air from an air compressor with a "blow gun" from the front of the bus to the disconected back. Get that big long pipe as clean as possible.

Then insulate the heat pipe that goes from the rear to the front. Reattach the accordian tubes.

Finally install a blower http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Accessories/ACC4.HTM or two of them mounted in the engine compartment making usre that they are blowing the heat forward.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix all drafts in your bus. Stock heat is marginal, but with new door seals it will get quite comfy. Don't forget the fresh air vent up front.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are all things i've already done......its not that my stock heater isnt working.........i want more heat!!!!!!!
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key is to fix the drafts. then insulate.
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never said my bus was drafty....so no one has ever tried using an oil cooler as a heater core
MY STOCK HEATER IS WORKING JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN WHEN THE BUS WAS NEW
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you go that route, let us know how it all works out.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that?

My vehicle puts out more heat than I'll ever need to drive in a tee shirt in winter. Now all I need is door seals that actually seal. Very Happy

I've yet to see a water pumper match the veedub's heat output.
If you're cold with 180 degree heat, something else is wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well maintained, stock heat system gives a lot of heat
Check the two heat control valves operation.
Are they both fully closed when the left heat lever is up, and both fully open when the left heat lever is down ?

You should feel the warm air with your hand, 2" over the dashboard outlets at the windshield..
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone here read?
dtrumbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned the hard way that when you come into this forum with the answer to your question already in your mind, you rarely get that answer from everyone else. It sounds like you've already decided quite a few things, so like Randy said, let us know how it works out.
1976 Transporter.
1978 Riviera Camper.
1979 Transporter.
1979 Beetle.
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: using an oil cooler as a heater core? Reply with quote

dcdubs wrote:
tried searching this out.......with no luck, has anyone on here seen or tried to use a remote mounted oil cooler for a source of heat in a bus?

Since nobody else seems to want to actually answer...no, I have not seen or tried to use a remote mounted oil cooler for a source of heat in a bus. I think that's what they're all trying to say.
Not that I'd try it, but I'd be curious to see if you pull it off.
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly thank you....we'll see if it turns out, vanagons use a heater box that mounts under the rear shelf i was thinking of using or modifing. the point is to take the van skiing.......and if you ski or board you know there is nothing better than a nice hot toasty car on the way home........or even better a nice toasty camper bus where someone in the back seat can have actual warm air blowing on them........
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I could care less if there's heat in the back, cause I'm always driving, but that would certainly be a worthwhile venture.
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to attempt this when i put in my new engine which will be a 1915cc with a satelite oil cooler anyway so i might as well try to get a little heat off it......i'll post pics so people can talk shit
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to use something like this

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECO0039&cartid=

and make it so that you can mount it under the bus above the transaxle in the summer time. You get what you pay for with those (they cost a lot but are worth it). It would be nice to have a oil temperature gauge so that you will know what the OT really is.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that I have a "Mr. Buddy" type propane heater that I have used once and it really took the chill out of the air.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: