Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the best transmission for a Vanagon?:vw:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: What is the best transmission for a Vanagon?:vw: Reply with quote

What are the different transmission in a Vanagon?

I have a 1985 Vanagon, I am going to do a Tiico kit and figure I might as well upgrade my trans cuz third gear likes to "crunch!!"

86 and up gasoline is 4 speed with a larger clutch and fly wheel?

Diesel is the only 5 speed?

Most Vanagons have a top speed of 130 mph? Laughing
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the auto trans myself. would probably rev too high on a tiico motor though.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With manual transmissions there really isn't much to choose from. They are all 4 speeds and the 1st-4th gear ratios are pretty much the same. The air cooled vans had a taller 4.57:1 final drive. Wasserboxer vans are actually geared a bit shorter with a 4.86:1 final drive.

The perfect setup for a moderately powered van would be to use a 4.57:1 final drive and stock 1st-3rd gears, and then use a taller .82 4th. There are taller 4ths, but you don't want to go too tall.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would probably rev too high on a tiico motor though

i have an in-line 2.0 , (ABA) with an automatic and it works fine, I had a stick and "upgraded" to the auto...it made my van a better hill climber

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
With manual transmissions there really isn't much to choose from. They are all 4 speeds and the 1st-4th gear ratios are pretty much the same. The air cooled vans had a taller 4.57:1 final drive. Wasserboxer vans are actually geared a bit shorter with a 4.86:1 final drive.

The perfect setup for a moderately powered van would be to use a 4.57:1 final drive and stock 1st-3rd gears, and then use a taller .82 4th. There are taller 4ths, but you don't want to go too tall.

David

There are 5 speeds out there. And I don't mean the desiel Vanagon. I know most are probably from Europe but it may be worth it if you can get one for the right price.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my 5.43:1 R&P (with TBD) with a 0.70 5th gear and 28" diameter 215/70/16 BFGs. A lot.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can import a european 5 speed, and they have great highway ratios. I would like to have one since my Vanagon gets used for trips. One thing to keep in mind about these is that they all have a 4.11:1 1st gear as opposed to the 3.78:1 1st in a 4 speed. This makes an already low geared van even lower geared - which I don't think is ideal for around town driving. You really can't get the best of both worlds with Vanagon transmissions. Either a 4 speed which has great in town ratios, or a 5 speed with an awkward to engage 1st, geared too low, and three great highway gears. I guess it all comes down to where your van spends most of its time.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the respect due to D Clymer, the liabilities of the 5-speed that he refers to, a low 1st gear and an awkward 1st gear engagement, go away with bigger tires in the case of the former and you get used to it in the case of the latter. For me, the low 1st gear is an asset, great off-road, and the range of gears is advantageous in all sorts of situations, both on and off-road. The tall 5th gear is saahhweeet when it's time to make the asphalt ribbon disappear under your tires.
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="westysapien"]... the liabilities of the 5-speed that he refers to, a low 1st gear and an awkward 1st gear engagement, go away with bigger tires in the case of the former and you get used to it in the case of the latter. ...quote]

Absolutely -

I have taller mudders on my Doka - And I use all 5 gears, all the time.

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am coming from a somewhat different perspective since I work mostly with Carat style vans and like to keep the tire diameter close to stock. The vans I build run 215/60/15 or 215/55/16 tires for a street smart appearance. Glad to hear the first gear linkage gets better with familiarity.

David
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sure like to see someone out there come up with a table that lists Vanagon transmissions by number, type, final drive and gear ratios. It gets kinda confusing. I've been led to understand that there are actually a few different 5 speed options out there and that they're not all the same. I'd sure like to be able to get them all straight. I understand that the 5 speeds are different for Syncro, 2WD, and diesel and that there are even a couple of options for the 2WD vanagon. One with a lower range first and a normal 5th and one with and a normal first but an overdrive 5th?

On a related note; kayakwesty, how difficult was your 'upgrade?' I've actually become a big fan of automatics in recent years (combination old age/laziness). The last truck I bought (2000 GMC, purchased new) I opted for an auto and I just loved it. Worked great and really saved my left leg when driving in town. Towed with it and generally worked it hard. This is bordering on a serious threadjacking offense so could you PM me? I'm kinda intrigued.
'96 BMW R1100GS
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a related note; kayakwesty, how difficult was your 'upgrade?'

it is all bolt on, but you need a donor van, and it's even better if it's right there to transfer the stuff from one van to another.

Steve, at theautobahnsociety did mine, he wanted my 4-speed, and I wanted his auto...so it was even steven

I love the auto , it climbs hills alot better than the 4 speed...and now I can get someone to drive it to pick me up at the bottom when I kayak.

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
I'd sure like to see someone out there come up with a table that lists Vanagon transmissions by number, type, final drive and gear ratios.

Your wish is my command! OK, OK, I didn't come up with it but here it is.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/gbx.htm

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: