Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary fuel tank ~ 2WD
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary fuel tank ~ 2WD Reply with quote

I found myself on a nice and hot summer Sunday, last year crossing Utah from East to West to find out that most of the gas station were closed, shut, gone fishing. I literally and by chance reached one of the few stations open for business running on the fumes.
Anyway, the subject being: has anyone tackled **successfully** the installation of an auxiliary tank on a 2WDVanagon/Subaru2.2.
Solutions considered:
(1)
Installation of a Syncro tank in the 2WD: rejected; Syncro tank very hard to find if not impossible. Installation requires too many modifications according to someone who did it.
(2)
Modification of the original tank suppressing the "saddle": rejected as only provides an additional 2 gallons + and major surgery, cutting, fabricating, welding.
(3)
I am researching auxiliary marine tanks that could fit under the van between the rails.
(others)
Some guys claim to have installed auxiliary tanks in Westies I believe INSIDE the vehicle. No thanks, I like my barbecues outside the vehicle.

Any comments, solution or experience would be most welcome.

Thanks
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 gallons on the "bumper carrier" gets you a long way
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone (maybe Dogpilot?) posted a link for very slick jerry can that fits in the rooftop westy cargo space. Not cheap, but very cool and stackable. If I had a westy thats the route I'd go. Try or a search or someone else might remember what it was.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250009&highlight=luggage+gas
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of long baffeled tanks, one next to each frame rail. Custom made of alluminium low profile to keep them high. Yes this is a thought that requires money to be spent but it would be cool.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lookin' candidate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...mot_widget
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read elsewhere that SA versions had, in some instances, 85 liter tanks as opposed to our 65... is this true? Is it meaningless if it is true, due to the difficulty of acquiring such an item?

Best,

Lanval
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it is.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's possible, but not very cost effective ~ though I have my doubts about how well anything else is going to work, and how cheap it would be to attempt to fab something up.

Here's the link: http://shop.vw-winkler.de/index.php/cat/c29_South-...0746a87540

I pulled that from the SA parts thread a bit ago ~ at 530 euros, you better WANT no, NEED the extra fuel. Oh yeah, add 19% tax (extra 125 Euros) and shipping. Maybe it would be cheaper to make your own... Shocked

Best,

Lanval
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to going prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Willys-MB-Ford-GPW-Jeep-Jerry-...dZViewItem
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a topic that intrests me as well. As stated the syncro tank is impossible to find, the Sa tank is too expensive due to shipping. itzdshtz sent me a link a while back on a 75litre aux tank that mounts between the rails on the passenger side.
http://ig-syncro16.de/dragonfly/index.php?name=For...p;start=30
My only complication is the positioning the filler neck and being able to fill the tank with our harming the structure of the van. Still looking into possibilities of using this idea.
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point in time I saw a site from a link on some other topic. that went to someweb page about bumpers and on the web page they had a gas tank. made with dimond plate with a pump to get the fuel in and out to the main tank. was around 300 I think.

did any one else see it about a year ago?
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me thinking and I found this http://www.boydwelding.com/?gclid=CNGT2K-Ego8CFRZHXgodIVwzwg There should be someone local in your area that does this kind of work.
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Bob Hoovers Sermons, read the story of fabbing a aux gas tank for his split--lotta work for little gain, esp. compared to the jerry can route.

When we drove that stretch of Utah in August we had an extra five gallons of gas, and water, sitting on top. Good for peace of mind out there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to consider aux tank options for my '58 Westy because I had the freedom back then to spend more time exploring the mountains and deserts out here in the West. With the old Splitties and Bays there was room to the left of the engine inside the engine compartment for a 2.5 Gal. gas can which I figured was enough to get me somewhere if I was close. I also had Gerry can mounts that I put on the bumper of that bus and on the side of a '66 I had (problem with the bumper is it has to be in front of the engine cover or it blocks the taillights). If you don't care about the cosmetics/drag you could always hang a couple Gerry can holders on either side of the van.. one for gas, a second for water.

I settled on just carrying the extra gas can as my "reserve" since I only really need it a few times a year. I make a mental note of my approximate range, note the miles since the last fill-up, and figure how far it is to the next fuel stop... which I'm sure the OP did but did not count stations being close. I liked those flat gas cans that DogPilot posted in the other thread... I'm thinking about making a place to mount one of those on the front of my little trailer that I usually have when I'm taking the family camping.

If I were needing it routinely I would consider putting something underneath the floor as mentioned and using transfer pumps to move the fuel into/out of the aux tanks. Either that or I would just cut a filler neck into the passenger side of the van and run valve to draw from one tank or the other.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pices and have 'test fit' them to put a 12gal VW FOX fuel tank in lieu of the spare tire with a modified clamshell to support and protect it..

now everytime I mention this i get all holy hell from people saying it's not safe.. but ignoring htose who strap a 5gal bomb onto the luggage rack with UV senstive rubber bungee cords.. awaiting a fast stop (or accident) to dislodge it into oncoming traffic. I'll take my chances.. I WON'T create a flying molitove cocktail.

then again I drive a Diesel and am unconcerned..

anyways it has the advantage of having a VW fuel gauge sender, and an in tank low pressure supply pump. so with a 3way 6port POLK valve from fleabay for $40~ and a A/B or better on-off-on switch (off for security) I can run a dual tank setup like my F250 and swap on the fly. .

I jut haven't the time yet for that project.. and for the next neighsayer on front axle weight gains.. 12galx8.5lbs= 102+15lb tank is FAR LESS then passangers.. even in a single cab w/ 3 in the front.
gas isn't heavy..

sorry about slight rant.. it's a topic comes up time to time..

spare wouild be mounted on a swing away back carrier to a custom bumper. because the tinfoil/plastic VW provided is NOT a bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied pictures of the SA tanks, thinking they gained volume by eliminating much of the "saddle" void, and concluded that, in addition to being ridiculously expensive for a sheetmetal box, they add capacity mainly by being longer overall. That means that the chassis cross member that is at the rear of our 2WD tanks, the one that supports the shift rod bushing, has to be removed to install the longer tank.

You can see in this pic that the saddle is still a going concern:
http://www.southafrica-parts.com/

I can't find the pics of the tank installed. It was a German site.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I've studied pictures of the SA tanks, thinking they gained volume by eliminating much of the "saddle" void, and concluded that, in addition to being ridiculously expensive for a sheetmetal box, they add capacity mainly by being longer overall. That means that the chassis cross member that is at the rear of our 2WD tanks, the one that supports the shift rod bushing, has to be removed to install the longer tank.

You can see in this pic that the saddle is still a going concern:
http://www.southafrica-parts.com/

I can't find the pics of the tank installed. It was a German site.

The $500.00 gas tank? Yikes! I think I'll be satisfied with the 15.9 gallons my stock tank holds.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. $500 buys a lot of Jerrycans, with money left over for a roof or tailgate rack.

But I sure would like more built-in capacity. I have a spare tank bought from the wrecker for experimenting on. A small part of the saddle needs to be retained for the shift-rod and radiator pipes to go thru, but most of it could be eliminated. I think brazing on an extension would be the best approach, and least likely to leak or corrode. Someday when I have the time (and when I get some torches!).
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Someday when I have the time (and when I get some torches!).

I wish you lived closer... you could borrow my torch until I need it again. I don't think I've used it for about 3 years and before that... well... it was probably around 2001 when I decided to get out of VWs for good (that worked well... hence the pseudonym). I occasionally think about selling it because it's bulky, but besides being a Volksaholic I also tend to be a Toolaholic and figure I will need it again someday.

I wouldn't be able to loan you any time... I'm running a little short on that myself!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: