Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter problems
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: starter problems Reply with quote

ok I am trying to start my bus 66 12volt and the bus is having issues
I try to start the engine and it cranks over once then it wont go any more i put a new battiery on it and the same i but a new starter in it and the same i take off my connection to the starter and clean it with a wire brush and the same thing. all i am getting is one crank every time what is going on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello have u tried to put it on a charge while u try to start it ? also it might be the voltage regulator(the silver box looking thing ) u can get those at local parts stores

do u have any repair books ?????books help alot , buy some used ones ...

Last edited by mooose on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that is not hooked up right and it dosent seem to be right on the alternator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u have a alternator or generator ?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternator
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens when u put it on a charge ?

man u have a sweet bus

Last edited by mooose on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing diffrent even with it at full power
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is alot of people in the chat ... that is a good place to get help if u are working on it now ...... what happened to the engine ? and when did it start doing this ?
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i just bought it and he said that he had just put a type 1 tranny in it he didnt say anything about the engine right before he sold it to me he wired it up so it would drive he had the same problem and he thought it was just a old battire so he didnt worry about it he had a friend help him push start it so thats what he did and thats how i have it now how should the regulator be hooked up?
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think u need it if u have a alternator
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then where dose the hot wire leading of the starter go to?
mooose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 should be to the batt.. and 1 should be to the the ignition switch.mabey it fell off how are the lights (bright )have u tried tapping on the solenoid (NOT ON THE WIRES )and then trying to start ( TAKE OUT OF GEAR !!)
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean?
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get you to follow the link eric and barb gave you on your last thread about your starter problems.
I'm telling you, just go buy a bunch of parts and start replacing. If you should start running out of money or hurt your back push starting your bus get back on your other thread and follow the link.

Oh the hell with it, Here it is. Read this thread. I know you'll find your problem. If you don't understand My post within this thread get back here or just ask there, any question you have. My guess would be you may need a little help becoming familiar with a multimeter, and if you got the coin for your bus then spend the coin on a mulimeter, or go spend money at shop and forgo the great experiance you would gain from fixing your own crap.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257577

By the way, a 67 wiring diagram will show you where your wires go, try the technical link at the top of the page and find the wiring diagram you need.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be a timing problem causing alot of compression
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compression is compressions. Now timing is when the spark fires in relationship to engine stroke. An out of time bus will not start right, sput and back fire or pop. It will keep turning over. You have a voltage drop problem or a dead battery. Sounds like you've ruled out dead battery, so I'd guess voltage drop. Have you read the linked thread yet? If you want to shotgun diagnose your problem try disconnecting the negitve lead where its bolted to the body, clean the bolt, the bolt hole and the cable where it touches the bolt and retighten the bolt. Now climb under the bus and find the ground strap that goes from the body to the transmission. clean both ends the same way. If that doesn't work (why you would do any of this without checking it all out with a volt meter) get down under the starter, disconnect the small wire from the starter, the one with the spade terminal. Connect the red lead of your volt meter to it and connect your black lead to the body. Have your buddy turn the key like he's going to start the bus and read your meter, have him hold the key in the start position for a moment. If it doesn't have 12.00v reading on the screen you got problems else where, but don't worry, now that you have a volt meter you'll be able to find that problem with a little help and guidance form here.
If you get through these things and your still having the same problem we can talk you through checking your timing staticly. Ya know, just to rule it out.
why do you think its the time? Is the engine bucking or doing something weird? Almost sounds like you have a gut feeling?
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my buddie just called up and said thatmy problem was the timeing and the engine wasn't allowing the fuel to properly burn so he thought that the engine would cause a lot of compression so that the starter couldn't turn it over more than once. it sounds like a good idea.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever adjusted your valves?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the "guess and by golly" method of replacing parts when you don't know what the problem is.
The ignition timing being way too advanced will make it do that. Static-time it, then start it, if you can, and set the ignition timing with a timing light.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so moving my distrubuter would help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: