Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split bus steering wheel from Flat 4 vs. Koch Rebuild
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBoehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Split bus steering wheel from Flat 4 vs. Koch Rebuild Reply with quote

I am in need of a new steering wheel for my 58 SC and I am wavering between two options. One option is getting a brand new wheel from Flat 4 (Japan) and keeping my old wheel as a spare.....or getting my old wheel rebuilt by Koch. Are the Flat 4 steering wheels junk? Or is there not much difference in quality overall? (except for the fact that they are not original the original). Any experience either way would be helpful....

Thanks..
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flat4 one....
I wish I asked this question before I got mine.
They suck.
cheap and flimsy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CBoehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...i was afraid they might be junk...so that confirms my suspicions.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBoehr wrote:
thanks...i was afraid they might be junk...so that confirms my suspicions.

If your not in a hurry Chriss Drake "the steering wheel man" is tooling up to make his recast steering wheels again.mmIf you are get a Koch's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big wavos
OCTO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: 3 spoke resto Reply with quote

who can restore the older 3 spoke wheels?
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Koch's wheels are recast at this point. Maybe not *all* of them if you have a few small chips and need it painted, but for the most part they are.

I'm sure they can a 3 spoke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: resto Reply with quote

I havent tried restoring one. .. mine is in good shape. But, I dont think it would be too hard. West System marine epoxy is the key, because it is flexible. You would need to open any cracks up a little with a dremel tool & then mix the epoxy with the thickening agent (its a powder). After it is spread on, it would need to be fared out (sanded to blend with the old wheel. Then the whole thing would have to be sanded lightly and painted with good quality 2 part epoxy paint.

If you dont wanna do it yourself, I think someone that does marine repairs would be able to handle it.
WhitewallsJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koch did the three spoke for my '47 bug about seven years ago. He did great work, its still just a beautiful as the day he did it.

Kermit, the highroof westy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318687&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with Koch-yes, they recast 3-spokes. I sent a white 3-spoke, wanting it recast in black for my kombi..and waaaaaaaaa-lah.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it's gorgeous.
CBoehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wheel would definitely need to be recast....all the resin is gone around the hub and the horizontal cross members and probably 40 % of the circumference.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three or four wheels done by Kochs (including a couple recasts) and I've been very happy with them. I've put 6000 miles on my '56 camper this year and it hasn't chipped through the paint yet.
1964ThirteenWindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw mention of the "steering wheel man". Where is he located and is there any idea of how close he is to getting up to speed? Any prices known for restoration? I'd like to have mine done. I've also looked into Koch's. Thanks
WhitewallsJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: resto Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
I havent tried restoring one. .. mine is in good shape. But, I dont think it would be too hard. West System marine epoxy is the key, because it is flexible. You would need to open any cracks up a little with a dremel tool & then mix the epoxy with the thickening agent (its a powder). After it is spread on, it would need to be fared out (sanded to blend with the old wheel. Then the whole thing would have to be sanded lightly and painted with good quality 2 part epoxy paint.

If you dont wanna do it yourself, I think someone that does marine repairs would be able to handle it.

This is the way to go if your wheel isnt that bad. I did it with a 65 a few years back. The bus was a flipper, so I just used a round file to open up the cracks and filled them with JB Weld. Smoothed her up with a flat file, some sand paper and primer. I did use good quality sikens paint and it held up fine for the year or so that i kept it. The paint was left over from an oval window i had just finished, so the whole process cost me about two dollars.

Kermit, the highroof westy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318687&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: