Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slowlow - [email protected] - Sam Manis
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Slowlow
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Slowlow - [email protected] - Sam Manis Reply with quote

I recently tried to buy a Thing from Sam Manis in Kingsport, TN. I was looking for a project that was mechanically sound, but needed body work. After contacting and discussing, I sent a $500.00 money order and set out from TX to TN with the balance and tow bar. Unfortunatly I beat the money order to TN, and the vehicle was in much worse shape than originally described (he has since updated his ad). In addition to bad mechanical problems, the donor panel that was supposed to be included was "sold" the day before, even though he knew I was coming. I declined the car, and asked what about my money order. Sam said he would cash when received and send me a new one. I proceeded to track the money order thinking it had been lost in the mail. As of 10/05/07 western union advised it has been cashed. Currently - no money, no return email, no return phone call. I guess I have learned an expensive lesson. Hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake. If Sam follows through, I will apologize and immediately retrack.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive delt with sam before he's a stand up guy...Im sure he'll be in here posting or emailing you.
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Sam this morning, and he said he would be sending the money order. I trusted him originally, so hopefully this will work out.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also dealt with Sam and his dad both before in the past and had no problems. I know he was in Greensboro for about 4 days this past weekend so he probably just hasn't been able to get back in touch.

I've seen and driven the Thing in question too, and it really is not in bad mechanical condition. It drove great? I know he said it was leaking a little bit of oil, but has since pulled out the engine and fixed the problem.

I'm not exactly sure what your conditions of the $500 was, but if somebody sent me a $500 deposit on a car to hold it so I wouldn't sell it, it would be non-refundable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the Thing was in better shape when you saw/drove it. I just want to wrap this up, like I said, if I'm wrong I will stand corrected.
submachinegun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw the Thing at CYW in TN and it looked and drove great, especially for the asking price. Yes, the motor leaked a little oil, but i believe it was a $.50 oil cooler seal that fixed it. I've dealt with Sam before, and he's not the type to swindle or mislead someone.

http://OstKuste.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your friend is an upstanding guy, thanks for the feedback. When this gets resolved I will let everyone know.
dockmaster Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought all kinds of stuff from Sam and never had any trouble! Very Happy
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's ccol , No worries bro. was it the orange thing? That ''Thing'' looked pretty nice. Confused
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I want this to work out and trust that it will.
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never no probs will Sam on this side as well..
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I JUST found the post...

Your issue is with my Father NOT me... I have only listed the car on this site for the sale. We still have the car, which is suprising seeing as its almost the CHEAPEST drivable 181 in the classifieds right now.

I still cant believe that you drove 12+ hours ONE WAY to get this car and turned around because of a little oil cooler leak!? We had actually payed little attention to it, as 10 out of 10 volkswagens leak oil at some point or another....

We have since fixed the leaks and cleaned the engine and car up!

Im pretty sure that my Father spoke with you on the phone earlier today and re-assured you that your deposit will be returned ASAP.

That should mean alot, as legally there isnt any law stating that he MUST return the deposit..

The worst part of the deal is you told us a deposit was in the mail for ATLEAST two weeks before we saw anything... Within that time we took your word for it and held the car for you.. EVEN though two local people had CASH IN HAND for the car, we turned them down, waiting on your deposit.

Actually when you arrived to get the car, the deposit STILL had not shown up... Im sure it could have been a mix up in the shipping of it, but it DID arrive shortly after you decided to not purchase the car.

Sorry to go off on a rant, I just dont want my name drug through the mud for something Im barely involved in.
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowlow a.k.a Sam Manis - [email protected] Reply with quote

kgb0028 wrote:
I....and the vehicle was in much worse shape than originally described (he has since updated his ad)..

BULLSHIT... All I have done to that ad is ADD pictures. The only updating I did was tell that we re-sealed the engine and installed a new generator and regulator.

kgb0028 wrote:

In addition to bad mechanical problems.

Its a damn oil leak.... That car runs fantastic. I could understand if it made racket and sounds like a rod was going to fly out of the side but it doesnt. It doesnt smoke, it doesnt run rough, it doesnt knock or ANYHTING that I would call a "bad mechanical problem"

kgb0028 wrote:

, the donor panel that was supposed to be included was "sold" the day before, even though he knew I was coming.

That donor panel WAS sold the day before... It WASNT ours to have. We have a friend that is storing three 181 Things behind our shop and he had told us that we could remove that body section from a parts car if we needed it. Sadly he sold the entire car to someone else in NC before we could do it... We didnt think it would go anywhere so we were going to let you decide HOW much of the donor metal you needed...

kgb0028 wrote:

I declined the car, and asked what about my money order. Sam said he would cash when received and send me a new one. I proceeded to track the money order thinking it had been lost in the mail. As of 10/05/07 western union advised it has been cashed. Currently - no money, no return email, no return phone call. I guess I have learned an expensive lesson. Hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake. If Sam follows through, I will apologize and immediately retrack.

The expensive lesson you should have learned is to not drive that far just to turn around to drive back home with nothing.

JUST my .02
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before that thing looked pretty nice at the show. Wink
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say, sorry if I wrongly implicated you. I thought you were the guy I spoke with and met in TN. All I had been told about the car was it needed body work and a generator - no problem. I mailed the money order to you on a Saturday, and as I said, unfortunately I beat it to TN by the following Saturday. When I got to TN I called to let you (maybe your dad) know I was headed up from Knoxville, only then was I told the money order had not arrived (only one week), I was prepared with the full cash amount when I got to the shop. I said I was sorry it didn't work out, and I was told "no problem, I have a buyer who will pay 2500.00". I asked what we should do about the money order and was told when it arrived it would be cashed and a new one returned to me, I even said you can send me a personal check. Just want to wrap this up.
kgb0028
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always apologize when needed. Sorry for the Sam Manis confusion. All along I have been dealing with his dad, not him. Not wanting to wreck his name. Sorry for the mistake.
Rusted Rockers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIS dads cool too ... ive delt with them both....like father like son....no worries bro...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cage66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also done business with both Sams with no problems at all and Im basically on the other side of the country Sam sr helped me out big, whene I was searching for an original window and shipped it out immidiatly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cage66 wrote:
I have also done business with both Sams with no problems at all and Im basically on the other side of the country Sam sr helped me out big, whene I was searching for an original window and shipped it out immidiatly

All except that one time I owed you two $4 stickers and took a month to ship them.... Embarassed

haha Sorry bro!!!
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowlow wrote:
cage66 wrote:

All except that one time I owed you two $4 stickers and took a month to ship them.... Embarassed
!

I heard he is pissed off! Laughing Laughing Wink J\k cage Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: