Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did your bus do for somebody else today?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: What did your bus do for somebody else today? Reply with quote

Today I showed a gangster and his pregnant woman w/2kids to be selfsufficient. I showed him how to find a short in his starter system... He had a bad connection in the ground. I was on lunch and didn't have the time to do it for him but he was a quick learner... A few moments of conversation and he ended up fixing it himself at the Mcdonlald's on G st. by himself as I was driving away in my bus. It felt good knowing that I had done something that no one else would attempt to do; this MAN had tatt's all over his neck, fore armes, and stomach... who else would help this family get to a Dr. appt for the BABY than a dirty hippie three foot deep into his dreads.... Gangsters love the hippies.... I got proof, what does the Samba public have for good deeds done dirty cheap? Spread the love, and reply here.

Last edited by Busryder on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one time, (at band camp), I was driving back from a campout in oregon, and I saw a '67 beetle by the side of the freeway with the decklid open and a puzzled guy looking at it. I stopped, and talked to him, and he said it quit running, and he didn't know how to fix it. I jumped in, diagnosed it as having no spark, found that the non-bosch points had worn through their wire and shorted out. I fixed it, set the dwell and timing all within five minutes of stopping. he asked if I was religious, because I had just answered his prayers. I just laughed and went on my way. now that dude has a great VW story to tell...

I stopped to help a guy in a '60 beetle in wyoming that was driving across the country headed for portland oregon. he had some fuel issues, and I set him up with a spare fuel pump that I had. he actually had the abilities to fix the thing, just not the parts.

I usually make use of my spare parts box on every bus caravan that I go on. the last trip, a couple weeks ago I went down to yakima with five other buses. I donated a fuel pump push rod to one bus, and then at the show, I donated some fuel line to a thing that was leaking fuel.

sometimes I feel like a mobile parts and service center, except last weekend when my generator pulley blew up and I didn't have a spare. thankfully, I was six blocks from home so I didn't need a good samaritan to rescue me. I was just leaving on a 200 mile road trip. I took the 'other' car instead.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make people smile everyday when I drive past them in my bus. They, for some reason don't care how slow I'm going, they just keep smiling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: good sameratin... Reply with quote

Love to feel the LOVE... I did this six, or so months ago and it made me feel good, as is the objective of this thread, If I lose interest, I may add naked chics but prob. not... It IS GOOD to hear that the good deeds ARE being done, brother. I emplore the rest of the community to do the same. I've heard that "smiles go for miles" but that sounds soo cliche`(I don't know how to do that little thingie at the end). But that doesn't make it any CHEAPER!

The Busryder

Last edited by Busryder on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It showed the people driving behind me what it's like to drive 50-55 mph.
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am watching... ,as I will be, and @ this point I have 39 views... The question arises... : "why do I not have more responses?"... I thought that this thread would have a better response ratio... Is it not the right thing to do when the moment arises???
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago I took my trailer to help a friend take his split bus to his mechanic. I drove to another city (Where he lives) to do this. On my way back home on I-5 between Medford and G.P. I saw an older guy pulled over in a mid 60's bug on the side of the freeway.

He just happened to pull over where there was a space in front of his bug for me to pull into. I hit the brakes (safely) and backed the trailer up to his bug.

After I looked into his engine compartment and saw the chunks of his case all over the place I offered to give him a ride home.

Within 10 minutes of pulling over ( I hate being on the side of the freeway -got hit once - another story) we had the bug on the trailer and I was on my way to get him home.

He lived about 40 miles away from that spot - I got him home - I didn't take the gas money he offered me (I've been helped before) took some eggs from his chickens and drove another 30 miles home feeling great.

I've driven my air cooled vw's almost every day for 10 years now and really thank those who have helped me out when I'm on the side of the road. This was the LEAST I could do....
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talkin' about.. I love this thread already. I have been watching every aspect of the SAMBA's forums for several months, and I have been pleased with the positive responses thus far from the general public, and I understand that I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED to be a novice, but I do pose an exellent question, Just respond with a natural circumstance... The Busryder (bwaaaa haaa haaa haaaaaa !!!)
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still workin on figureing out the BUGS...
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the fact that we all wave at each other as we pass on the road is cool, not to mention that most of us have an autoparts store complete with machine shop under our rear seat.

Several times I've had a passenger with me and waved at another bus.
"Who was that?"
"I don't know, some dude driving a bus."

Puts a smile on everyones face.
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids wave outta habbit, not hobbit... they aint re-pop!... Nor do they do this to please me... stopping makes them happy.
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I give up... help please. How do I Post pictures/picts/vides?
danxthexman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pictures you want to do this

[img] Insert image URL HERE [/img]
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.... been hicupping too deeply for recording that thought into perm memory...
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try again 2marrow... With no naked chicks!!! GOD, how I love your WORK... Still tryin' 2 talk my ol' lady into graceing the world with her expertise.... Naked is old school... Like (hunter/gatherer) status, I love it. The Busryder.
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just about every one of us has stories like this. I used to work for a crotchety old air cooled mechanic, so I considered stopping and helping folks my responsibility.

Countless times this has happened over the years, especially during my musical phase back in the 80's and early 90's. I used to not leave home in a bus without the top half of my craftsman toolbox in the rear of the bus.

One time I stopped and helped a bus full of hippies that had blown a wheel cylinder or brake hose - cant remember which. I didnt have the parts he needed, but I did do a pretty impressive hack repair to get him back on the road. Took a pair of vice grips and pinched off the bad brake line (it was the rear drivers side), tightened them down real tight, wired them to the wheel well, re-bled the 3 remaining good wheels, and got his pedal pressure back up and brakes working again. Not the safest repair, but it got him to his destination and hopefully to a mechanic.

He paid me with 2 joints that I swear to you was the most mind-boggling stuff I would have ever had - and I had alot.

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the way to Buses By the Fridge, our caravan stopped to help a stranded bus and I had a case of oil with me and I gave the strandee 3 quarts. No mechanicals involved though. Did this count?
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a non-mechanical girl, I think just driving 60 MPH on a SoCal freeway, making people slow down and notice a cool bus and give a thumbs up is the best I can contribute. They zoom back up to 85 MPH with a smile.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
WhitewallsJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always stop for other VWs when i see them on the side of the road.

I can usually get them up and running but this one time i stopped for a kid in a nice little late model beettle. He said the oil light came on, so he pulled over, checked the oil and it was full, so he kept driving until the car just started slowing down. Confused

I popped the hood, grabbed the pulley and the engine was locked. I checked the oil and it wasnt even on the stick.

Then he asked "What is that?" I said "You mean the dipstick?" "Yes" he said.

So, i had to ask, "how did you check the oil?" He pointed to the oil bath breather and said "I checked to make sure it was at 'the little red line'" Rolling Eyes

Well he refused a ride and didnt want to use my cell, so i couldnt help that one, but at least i tried. Smile

Kermit, the highroof westy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318687&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mechanical, but I've helped lots of friends move furniture, mulch, and all kinds of junk in my crew cab...Everybody needs a truck sometimes.
Smile
I've also helped people 2 different times by the side of the road who needed a floor jack-once to change a flat, and once to help lift them out of a drainage ditch, where he had made a turn too sharply...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: