Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v vdo tach on 12 v???
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deluxe hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: 6v vdo tach on 12 v??? Reply with quote

I have an early 6V vdo tach and want to fit it on my 12 V oval....I am guessing I need more than a volt dropping resistor.

Does anyone know the best (safest) way to do this as I dont want to blow the tach.

cheers
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any pictures of it?

the correct oval era vdo tachs don't use the car's electrical system at all. they use a small generator that runs off a cable off the crank pulley nut.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deluxe hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. It is not the correct oval tach, rather an early 60's VDO 6v item that does fit into the accessory speaker grille. It has connections like any ordinary 12v tach ( coil, +, -, light) .
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deluxe hunter wrote:
thanks for the reply. It is not the correct oval tach, rather an early 60's VDO 6v item that does fit into the accessory speaker grille. It has connections like any ordinary 12v tach ( coil, +, -, light) .

Use a 7806 voltage regulator IC and two cap's and your problem is solved. For the circuit lay out see (near end of page):
http://www.geocities.com/vk3cz/gauge-repair.html
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess with voltage drops with your tach.

I had my era correct 6vt tach converted / restored to 12vt by Palo Alto Speedometer. They did a great job and it was done fast as well.

Here's their website:
http://www.paspeedo.com/

Here it is in the dash of my '56. Disregard the missing firewall carpet... Embarassed It's there now.

Regards,
Tom

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat4Tom wrote:

Don't mess with voltage drops with your tach.

I agree. But what I suggested isn't an ordinary voltage drop, I mean not a simple resistor. It's a regulated circuit and independent of the current (in Milli Amperes) that is drawn, it provides 6 volt. Converting to 12 volt of the tach is a good possibillity, but will cost you a lot more $$, I assume.
deluxe hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks,

wimkever, I understand your voltage reg circuit for the tach power supply- cheers.

Do I need to do anything to the trigger connection to the coil?

cheers
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deluxe hunter wrote:
thanks folks,

wimkever, I understand your voltage reg circuit for the tach power supply- cheers.

Do I need to do anything to the trigger connection to the coil?

cheers

That's a good question. I'm sorry to say I don't know, I don't like to give you an advice that will destroy your tach. My first thought was : no problem. The trigger connection sends pulses, not something like 6 or 12 volt. In most tach's the DC (Direct Current) component should be blocked by a cap'. But I'm not sure how your tach is built inside. Maybe someone else can tell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: