Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel tank pickup question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: fuel tank pickup question Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on why I lose fuel delivery going around a right hand turn when my tank is at 1/4 or less? I understand the fuel is shifting to the side but I am surprised that it does it at 1/4 tank. Could their be something funky with the way my fuel inlet is oriented in the tank? Is this a common problem?
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when I bought my van. I lost power, it bucked and such, when going around a left hand turn. I needed a full tune up with plugs, wires, distributor, filter, the works anyway, and also adjusted the timing (too far advanced), and the problem went away. Mayne it's not a fuel delivery problem. Have you done a tune up recently? Ever?

Go Lions!

Scott '94
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have my tank off today for cleaning and POR-15ing it, and I discovered something new. At least it's new to me, it may be common knowledge to everyone else. The fuel pick-up on my 85 stock fuel tank is NOT in the back corner, it's actually right in the middle in that little bump-out you see underneath the center of the tank. There are lines inside the tank that run from the right rear corner where my "out-tube" is located, to this little recessed area. I never knew!!

So, if you're loosing fuel feed on turning, which way you're turning shouldn't make any difference.

Don't think that helps you at all. Sorry, just had to share. Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very helpful. I didn't know that the pickup point is extended to the center of the tank. I thought they controlled windage with baffles. Interesting.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. actually i am due for a tuneup. my gas mileage is not as good as it was several months ago either. i'm sure my tank needs serviced to....the winter maintainance list grows. i'm not ready for winter... Speak to the hand
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: