Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul060266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

How can I adjust this gap in between the door and the inner hinge as it is bending the door when closed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the doors them selves. One that allows one to see all of the gaps around the perimeter of the door. I then can answer.

Also, open the door and really inspect the A pillar side of the door. Sometimes there are fractures that allow changes in unexpected ways.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

Most likely: one of the hinge mounting faces is bent or cracked, or the hinge is bent.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

the photo on the left shows a large gap between the door skin and the hinge, I'd be checking what's causing that...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
paul060266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Most likely: one of the hinge mounting faces is bent or cracked, or the hinge is bent.

Will check, thank you.
paul060266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

finster wrote:
the photo on the left shows a large gap between the door skin and the hinge, I'd be checking what's causing that...

The photo on the left may not be clear, there is no gap in between the door skin and inner hinge when the door is closed.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

I had the same problem on one of my '55s - turned out the top, passenger hinge was bent, when I got it ...

After some investigating, I saw the car was once hit in the ass and looks like it hit the car in front of it as it was damaged front and back, with the right door out-of-square - it was used for parts and the semaphore posts cut out - I bought it anyway - for a C note - has been a lotta fun, reconstructing it...

I removed the door and wacked the top hinge with a 3 pound sledge hammer a few tomes and re installed the door, checking everything - did that a few times, till I got it kinda'-right - still, not perfect, but much, much better...

… is not a running and driving car - is just for fun to look at, sit in and add parts to - is on a '65 pan - Good luck with yours... z

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

paul060266 wrote:
finster wrote:

The photo on the left may not be clear, there is no gap in between the door skin and inner hinge when the door is closed.

… actually, I did not find the pictures, to be very clear - like finster, I thought the gap in the left shot was wider - i'd post better pics... thanks, z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paul060266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

I removed the door and straightened out the top and bottom hinges with a hammer and now all is well.

Apparently at some point the door did not have a check rod and the door must have opened too far, bending the hinge.

The door also has some damage in that area.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: No upper door-to-hinge gap when driver side door is closed Reply with quote

that's good to hear, looks like the bonnet needs sorting too...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: