Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

.040 linebore?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: .040 linebore? Reply with quote

A friend of my son bought a used "standard" bore case off the samba. He sent it to RIMCO and when it came back it's cut .040 with 866 thrust. All the machine work was $304.93. RIMCO didn't call to say how much the case needed to be cut and just did the work. A cover letter was sent with the case but RIMCO ignored it.

Anyone ever use a case cut this much? Will it live? He's doing a 1776, Kads and 120 with mild P&P and 9:1.
aitor11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For standard engines here is very common, i think is a litle too much for a bigger engine, but thats my opinion.

Aitor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rterfert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

866 and 40 over
Yes I have a 1776cc right now in a sand rail...I dont run my stuff too hard and that is not really too far from std.
turbodon1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2276 is .080 line bore Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: .040 linebore? Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
A friend of my son bought a used "standard" bore case off the samba. He sent it to RIMCO and when it came back it's cut .040 with 866 thrust. All the machine work was $304.93. RIMCO didn't call to say how much the case needed to be cut and just did the work. A cover letter was sent with the case but RIMCO ignored it.

Anyone ever use a case cut this much? Will it live? He's doing a 1776, Kads and 120 with mild P&P and 9:1.

What else did Rimco do for that $304 dollars? Certainly a line bore and thrust cut doesn't cose that much money????

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CouldaHadAv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was spendy....ouch. Case must have been hammered for them to go .040 first cut, they must have decked it also. Did he leave the studs in the case when he shipped it?

But anyway I've seen heaps of them @ .040 with no problems.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel lthe .040 is encouraging. How many miles do you have on them? As we all heard the oil pressure is supposed to be crap with linebored cases after a few miles. I just don't have any experience with linebored cases so I don't know. When I emailed the seller he said the case was standard and I thought .010 wouldn't be a problem but was surprized t osee it come back at .040.

He had other work done: decked, rods rebuilt, case savers, cam tunnel bored and oil galleys tapped.

He paid 150 for the case. He's a poor college kid and needs to have the car last a while. The motor in the car when he bought it had a 1600 JCS rebuild and the crank broke.
propflux01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that alot on oil pressure too, but aside from just crappy machine work, Most all V-8's are 'line honed in much the same way without problems, why would VW engine be different?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propflux01 wrote:
I have heard that alot on oil pressure too, but aside from just crappy machine work, Most all V-8's are 'line honed in much the same way without problems, why would VW engine be different?

Could it be more Gene Berg mechanical "hypochondria" as someone else so elequently stated in another thread?
--Dam
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propflux01 wrote:

.040 line bore is no problem at all, you will not have oil pressure issues due to the case being line bored at .040 or .060 for that matter, I have only seen this issue begin to come up and only in some cases when you hit .080. Drive is like you want to and enjoy the engine.
Propflux01 just FYI V-8 engines and not line "bored" any where near in the same manner as a VW case would be. In a cylinder block type engine the main caps are ground down and the main line is re-honed to it's standard size. It's the same type of procedure as done in rebuilding connecting rods. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
propflux01 wrote:

Could it be more Gene Berg mechanical "hypochondria" as someone else so elequently stated in another thread?
--Dam

I agree it's an urban legend in regards to low oil pressure after a line bore. How many of us have gotten over 100k miles with a line bored case? Lots of people have.
Also, ironically, the VW factory did line bores there during their engine rebuilding/exchange program.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Nater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
propflux01 wrote:

--Dam

I agree it's an urban legend in regards to low oil pressure after a line bore. How many of us have gotten over 100k miles with a line bored case? Lots of people have.
Also, ironically, the VW factory did line bores there during their engine rebuilding/exchange program.

No legend really..................
When the cases are line bored they have a greater chance of error.......
But when a single case is align bored they have a much better chance of survival
BigLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a case align bored to .060 over and decked by them and they charged me around $120.

edit: I dropped my case off and picked it up. I see that you're in Reno. How much of your total was shipping?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: