Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$15000 Bay!?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: $15000 Bay!? Reply with quote

Don't know if any one has seen this but I thought it was worth mentioning. Check out EBay item # 300159358302. Wow!!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is our buddy Ray in Denton, Texas.

He always finds some sweet buses and delivers a pretty nice finished product, but you do pay for what you get. I am OK with that.

What is your point anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very clean westfalia, and hey, they aren't making these anymore. The values are really starting to go up and people will pay what they will pay if interested.

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! That means my '71 is worth about that! Rise VW market, rise!
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heaven's to betsy, sakes alive. guess i have to re-think the value of my original paint 75, and remind everyone that once upon a time someone paid 99k for a bus. final price: 16,3.
LordLeverette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't let it rise before I get a good one! Laughing

But anyway, the market is rising alot now, you see alot of buses ak 8k and up. But, I think that alot of those are overpriced. I've seen lots of overpriced buses lately, and it makes me think there getting expensive.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key to getting the big bucks is to be able to say "original miles" and have it be in the five figure range. also it must be stock, clean, complete and need nothing. also helps if its a camper... the big bidders make money obviously, but dont care so much to tinker endlessly. so they will not bid high on "a can of worms". i have been watching ebay auctions now for about a year, trying to figure out bidding habits, and find that the high bid auctions all have those qualities in common
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LordLeverette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can see the expensive ones are all shiny and complete, but I see potential in anyting in the 4k range.
autiger78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's initially expensive, but if you're not looking to constantly be dropping engines, pulling transmissions, dealing with rust issues, etc...it's really not a bad deal if you have the dimes...

Think about how much you'd spend bringing a basketcase up to that level (I know, I'm doing it right now). Personally, thats the fun for me, but if you just want a nice bus to motor around in, that might be the way to go.
LordLeverette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what are you paying for? In the 4k range you can usually find something that runs great, and has minimal rust. Everything else is just cosmetic.
vwjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what are you paying for? In the 4k range you can usually find something that runs great, and has minimal rust. Everything else is just cosmetic.

Price professional bodywork and paint lately?

Our old VWs are like any other collectible in that they are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay and the market varies as the demand rises and falls not only with rarity but with fashion. Right now the old buses are hot along with a lot of other '70's memorabilia. If a really nice antique vehicle is what you are looking for it's been my experience that unless you are a good mechanic/bodyman/painter, with a solid knowledge base and lot of time to devote to a project, than it is often cheaper (and certainly easier), in the long run to spend more up front when buying especially if you put any value on your time.

Of course I don't think that's what the majority of us here are looking for. Like autiger78 says I think most of us posting here not only appreciate these old buses but enjoy getting our hands dirty bringing them back to life - or at least keeping them on the road as much as possible.
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any pics of the engine.. and think it said it was original. So, IMO that's quite a bit of money for an engine that may or may not last 20K. But the body is sweet and so is the interior.

I'd rather spend 5K on a decent one.. 2K on body and paint.. and that leaves a ton left for a Raby Camper turnkey and then you KNOW what you've got for your 16Gs. Maybe refurb the tranny and gas tank and you're set!!!

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this price it would be a steal here in Europe...

You could see these prices in Euro's (1E = 1,4$) and then add some...