Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Fastback is Back!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: 73 Fastback is Back! Reply with quote

Bought this fastback in 1984 from a used car lot in OKC, did the usual 1980's customizing and drove it till 1990 when the bay window bus urge over took me. Gave the fastback to my dad who drove it till 2001, he had some low compression issues on a new engine and no energy to tinker with it so he parked it under a tree. The Fastback has sat with a tarp over it under that tree till last weekend. With his passing away in July I have once again got the 73 Faskback back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A little worse for wear, got some rust issues now (rockers and under the battery), engine needs gone through although it runs, tires be a little old. Amazing is that the vehicle has never be wrecked.

Although I am still a bus fan, this Fastback has always had a special spot in me, even after 23 years. It is going to be a keeper, already started searching for parts for the rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have the mate to mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And sounds like it needs the same repairs.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, how bout a pic of the engine bay so we can see what you are up against.

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panama Yellow if memory serve me.

Pictures of the engine will have to be awhile, the vehicle is at my other house, 220 miles South of where I work. Engine is pretty straight forward, nice basically new (<100 miles) 1600cc single port with dual 32PDSIT carbs, bank 1&2 have low compression (suspect the head), discovered the thottle bushings need replaced so they will be sent off to RIMCO.

Would really like to find somebody in a 500 mile radius of Albuquerque that can replace rocker panels on a Type 3, I am okay welding floor pans, but my work is best when no one can see it. I have a set of panels, new, made by a company in Holland. Anybody?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motorworksrestorations.com

Call Jeremy at Motorworks Restorations. He and Gary are skilled body and paint guys. Same guys doing RTKing's Notch

He's busy though.

"Oilspot" is another guy to try. He's south of ALBQ.

good luck

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will check in with both of them.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Panama Yellow if memory serve me.

Texas Yellow if it is a 73.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: