Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25 hp cool weather
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: 25 hp cool weather Reply with quote

Have a 25 hp that is so cold blooded when temps get below 50 F. Starts good but pops and farts till really warmed up. Sometimes runs 10 minuites before ready to go. If above 50 degrees it runs perfectly. Am I too lean/rich?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your heat riser clogged?

Are you running a VFIS or PCI carb?

Even been in a men's locker room?

Are you using the choke?

Sounds like you might need to be a little more patient in the mornings.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! all is in good shape...riser etc. Oct. 52 Zwitter. I live in Minnesota; so weather is real cool right now. I'm sure Thom doesn't understand that. John H should know what cool weather is and know it isn't going away soon. Thought maybe someone expierienced same effects on 25hp. I have lots of patience but 10-15 minuites to warm up doesn't seem quite right. Any more ideas?? Coil???
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know all about cold weather.....!

Intake and carb icing is usually more a function of humidity than temp, although it will usually only occur below out 50F. I

After you have driven the car for a bit (20-30 mins or so) , feel the left side heat riser. If it is warm/hot, the HR is working and not clogged. Compare it with the right side (careful, it will be hot).

Look at the carb body where it meets the intake, basically the botom half. If it is frosty, or even with a lot of condensation, you may have an icing problem. I was told once that re-jetting can help, but I am not a carb expert so I don't know the details.

Of course check you valves settings, timing and points gap EVEN if you already did.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, good to see you still have your 52.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delays in responding; I have a 28 pci carb. After a good road trip; I felt the riser on the left side and it was barely warm. The right side is hot as it shows with the lack of paint. It was 60 degrees outside temp. There was no sign of condensation. Took a long time to warm up but actually ran very well down the road. They are talking snow showers next week. I'm heading for cover.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyniceguy wrote:
Sorry for the long delays in responding; I have a 28 pci carb. After a good road trip; I felt the riser on the left side and it was barely warm. The right side is hot as it shows with the lack of paint. It was 60 degrees outside temp. There was no sign of condensation. Took a long time to warm up but actually ran very well down the road. They are talking snow showers next week. I'm heading for cover.

Sounds like the heat riser is clogged. Unclogging it MAY help. Or you can replace the intake if it is not a rare one.

Article at my site thebugshop(.org) on clearing the intake heat riser. The "SRB" method is FUN! Lots of smoke and fire!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(that was done with just a test piece of cut off riser tubing)

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You so much. Your web site has so much to offer! I'm off to unplug a heat riser.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: