Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro test mule
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Syncro test mule Reply with quote

Prepare to geek out.

I’d like to do some test runs in my van to see if different hardware bits made any impact on performance. For example maybe add an intake scoop to see if IAT across an air to air intercooler reduced IAT and EGTs or adding a trans skid plate increased oil temp or overfilling tranny increased oil temps.

I have Several digital senders except IATs and my boost is kind of jacked ...
Trans case driver side near 4th gear.
Engine Oil temp.
Engine Oil pressure.
Exhaust gas temp. Pre turbo
Engine coolant sender past thermostat - I think.
Manifold boost pressure. Needs work.
IAT pre intercooler - pending.
IAT post intercooler - pending.
And I have an OBD monitoring app with logging.

My question is how to do this systematically without a dyno?

I’m thinking find a section of road and just re run it systematically? Ie Columbia gorge highway.

Any ideas for what to test?

I’ll start a list of van science experiments.

TDI air to air IATs with puller fan and without.
Same with intake scoop on vent.

Tranny stuff.

Overfill impact on oil temp.
Skid plate on or off.
Speed at which oil temp is stable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro test mule Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:

And I have an OBD monitoring app with logging.

TDI air to air IATs with puller fan and without.
Same with intake scoop on vent.

What app are you using?

Did you ever compare IATs with a fan on the intercooler vs. without?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro test mule Reply with quote

Cool! Science in a syncro vanagon. What could possibly go wrong Very Happy

No input here on geeky test ideas, but I’ll buy you a gallon of gas - very interested in results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro test mule Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:

My question is how to do this systematically without a dyno?

from my vehicle testing/calibration days, we would run to specific locations (death valley, colorado, gulf coast, etc) and run the same stretch of hill on the highway, with the same start speed and vehicle load, back to back to back. pretty standard stuff
your most variable component will likely be load, so finding a spot where you can run at full load (ala the dyno) without traffic interruption is ideal.

find a stretch where you can achieve full load, and have an easy on ramp at the bottom of the hill, and off ramp somewhere near the top. make laps accordingly.

freightliner runs a lot of mileage test trucks down 84 to hood river and back for testing.
there are some nice longer grades there with enough on/off ramps near hood river. it doesnt take much of a grade to get a semi to full load, might work for you as well, and would be repeatable if you dont bump into other traffic.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro test mule Reply with quote

I’ve been looking at jobs at Daimler Freightliner so I guess I will list this as a reference?

Good tip. I’ll try a run out the gorge. Duh. I live like 8 minutes away. Thanks

IATs and EGTs with an intercooler.
My install.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

I use OBD Fusion software on my iPhone with some WiFi OBD scanner hardware I can’t recall.

I haven’t done a “test” yet but my initial runs up mt hood have led me to believe that a Saab intercooler located in an enclosed space in front of the drivers side tail light that is carefully vented out the bottom with a puller fan is a pipe dream or urban myth.

I will attempt to measure this methodically and report back complete with a copy of my resume for Freightliner referrals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: