Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

I am looking for the hose that supplies pressure to the windshield washer resevior for the 63 Beetle from the spare tire. I found a part of Wolfsburg West:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311955979C

But, it says that is for 1968 to 1977, and they want $40! Is that the right part? Why is it so much? Why don't they list it for a 1963?

Any help here is appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for one too. I thought I read that there was a regulator inline on this hose also . . . .but I read elsewhere that the bottle was rated at 35 lbs? I wonder if that is not actually pounds but somthing less. . . Sad

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman:
Email me your address and I'll send you the one I have. Mine's running a pump instead. It might take a while, as it's gonna have to come from the UK. Can't be assed to figure out the postage etc, so you'll have to owe me one! lol
Let me know if you want it

Rob

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ragman, what color is your bug? That looks like the same color as my interior, but I have a 64. I've been tryin to figure out what color my car was originally.
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's packaged and it'll be in the mail tomorrow Erik

Hope it fits

Rob

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this a special hose with a regulator or just an air pressure hose? Any pics? Got another one? Very Happy Hehehehe

Greg

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one I have (had!) is just a plain hose with a tyre valve adaptor on one end of a 15" (approx) black rubber hose, with a threaded black plastic bottle cap on the other.
If I find any more, I'll let you know!

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thanks again! You rock!

Actually, I just read your post about what it looks like. I think that the part I need is a hose that goes from the spare tire shraeder valve to the shraeder valve on the fluid resevior.

The one that you have has a plastic threaded cap on the end?

Does anyone know if that is correct for a 63? I don't want you to bother shipping it if it won't work?

Anyone?

Erik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Speed wrote:
Hey ragman, what color is your bug? That looks like the same color as my interior, but I have a 64. I've been tryin to figure out what color my car was originally.

I believe it is Dove Blue. When I get home tonight, I will look under the hood to see if I can get the color code....I'll let you know.
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Erik. The one I have came out of a mid 60's car from a scrapyard, so it may be different to the one you need. I've only seen this type of fitting so I don't know if it will fit. Tell you what, I'll take some digital pics tomorrow & post them here so you can see if it's any use to you.

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbuggin wrote:
Ok Erik. The one I have came out of a mid 60's car from a scrapyard, so it may be different to the one you need. I've only seen this type of fitting so I don't know if it will fit. Tell you what, I'll take some digital pics tomorrow & post them here so you can see if it's any use to you.

Sounds good. Thanks!
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
6Speed wrote:

I believe it is Dove Blue. When I get home tonight, I will look under the hood to see if I can get the color code....I'll let you know.

The color code is: L390 Gulf Blue. It has been repainted once.
dadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold my 63. It had the hose attatched to the tire and in between is the regulator valve, don't know what it is rated at. sorry
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman, sorry for the delay. He are some pics of the part I've got. If it's any use, let me know & I'll send it on:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/104153.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/104155.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/104157.jpg

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I don't think part will work in my 63. I have a shraeder valve on the resevior and only one cap, so I need a hose that has two shraeder valve (shraeder valves are the same valves on the tire stems). I could hook up the hose you pictured, but then I wouldn't have any hoses running to my nozzles.

Oh well, my search continues Smile

Rob - you still rock the house!

Erik
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, it was worth a try. I just hate to see people get ripped off $40 for a bit of hose!
Good luck

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Sort of related, but not exactly, but I don't like to start new threads unless absolutely necessary . . .

Joel had written:
Quote:
Electric has none of those problems and simple hose straight from the bottle/pump to the nozzle, not a round the world tour through the car.
downside is it just doesnt have that old vw charm about it Laughing

Does anyone have a diagram as to how this would be wired up? I found some small 6v pumps on line, but I'd like to get the most appropriate one for the purpose (proper flow rate and that sort of rot), and a nice switch that would fit in a good spot, I suppose at the bottom of the dashboard.

I have a '63 Beetle with no hose from spare tire to washer tank, and my dashboard washer button insides are frozen solid.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
I am looking for the hose that supplies pressure to the windshield washer resevior for the 63 Beetle from the spare tire. I found a part of Wolfsburg West:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311955979C

But, it says that is for 1968 to 1977, and they want $40! Is that the right part? Why is it so much? Why don't they list it for a 1963?

Any help here is appreciated!

That picture doesn't make sense to me.

Shouldn't the hose coming out of the top of the screw cap be the one that goes to the nozzles at the windshield? My tank has a bicycle valve in the tank, itself, that is currently not connected to anything. Or is the '68-and-up system that different from a '63?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

I saw the date on this thread and thought it might be one I contributed to in the past, but it actually predates my posting on theSamba.

Yeah 68 and later is different, the reservoir clipped to the spare tire and the feed to the wiper switch was from underneath.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62-67 it's supposed to be just a Schraeder valve. That's all you got on 62-67. You have to air it up from that fitting, and there will be enough air to empty the bottle. Every time you add fluid, you add air.

Now they did have an accessory hose to go to the spare tire. Those are not very common to see and if there's been a modern reproduction of it, I've never heard of it. (kind of surprised no one's done it)

I have one in my 62. I bought it from a customer when I was a mechanic - they had a narrow-eye Baja where the body for the washer tank was long gone, This was part of a bunch of stuff that was laying on top of the fuel tank leftover from some whatever previous owner had chopped the car. They had no use for it and probably didn't even care about it, sold it to me for 5 or 10 dollars.

Here's another style where you have a shutoff valve:

and the one that's mentioned in the old Workshop Manual as the then-available option:

Electric, you could modify the wiper valve on the switch with a microswitch, look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383291&

Or you could go for a new stock style switch and get the stock system to work. I think it may be back to only having two speed rotary switches available though, like it was back in 1992 and I got the 67 two speed switch and made it work. (soon after I made it work for two speeds with a 2nd resistor, 6V motor running 12V, but that's kind of a primitive way of doing it these days.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252514& )

You said 'switch under the dash' - that exactly how I have my Baja rigged. I have a washer tank from the rear of an old VW Rabbit and an inline pump purchased at some FLAPS. Switch used to be a toggle but I changed it for a doorbell style pushbutton:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Air-operated windshield washers were not VWs best idea, in my opinion.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: