Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water Tank Key And Oil Filter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinlyndsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Water Tank Key And Oil Filter Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get a new water tank key I could not find it on the lots o links, also where do you get those replacement oil filters I have allways just used fram but here you guys talking about some other brand filter with a check valve in it.

Thanks
85 westy
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fnd a key let me know where as well!
I order my filters from bus depot, Mahle's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinlyndsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: thanks man Reply with quote

I think I will try a locksmith for the key thing I hate to bust it. I will check out bus depot for filters thansk again
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get filters at a good german garage or parts house. I know they have them in Sac. Call around and ask for Mann or Mahle filters.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Water tank key

Oh heavy sigh. "Use the search, Luke." This sure has been discussed before. Please look at the Best Threads sticky. I know there is a thread about it.

Ditto the oil filters.....

[Preach mode = ON]

It conserves time, effort, bandwidth, etc to search before asking......

[Preach mode = OFF]

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Go up to the sticky that is titled links to the best threads.

2) Scroll down until you find the one titled: Water Tank Key

3) There ya' go.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the fresh water tank key go from an actual cylinder lock and metal key to a plastic setup? 1986?

As I believe that all the plastic keyed tank locks are the same, I have two extra keys if anyone is hard up for one. Just PM me.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
When did the fresh water tank key go from an actual cylinder lock and metal key to a plastic setup? 1986?

As I believe that all the plastic keyed tank locks are the same, I have two extra keys if anyone is hard up for one. Just PM me.

The key became plastic when a previous owner replaced it with a water lock setup from GoWesty! This is the setup that is now available. Original was a lock and metal key setup.

I went to a locksmith as the sticky pointed out, but my local locksmith could not match it. I got lucky and bought one off of the classifieds here with it's key.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:

The key became plastic when a previous owner replaced it with a water lock setup from GoWesty! This is the setup that is now available. Original was a lock and metal key setup.

I went to a locksmith as the sticky pointed out, but my local locksmith could not match it. I got lucky and bought one off of the classifieds here with it's key.

Hmmmm....

Strange, very strange indeed. I'm pretty sure that this was never changed from stock, unless is was a dealer option of some sort and added before we purchased it. The vehicle has been in my family since new and I've owned it for most of its life.

Though, I have been wrong before.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:

I think I'll bet you a doughnut on this one Bucko. My 87 had the plastic key setup and I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with GW. I don't know when they switched, or maybe it's a Canadian thing but at some point the plastic key setup became stock.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Locksmith's... Reply with quote

Mine's metal and has the tumblers--and my local locksmith wasn't SURE he could duplicate the key, but he tried, and... it worked! So it's not a completely unfathomable lock.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips - Can you post a close up picture of the key? I've never had one but would like to see if I could make one somehow.

My 89 is still stock and is a plastic set up. So was my 88.

Thanks!

Last edited by PDXWesty on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I had ordered a water fill hookup from GoWesty, and recieved the plastic key setup. The original I had was of the metal key and tumbler lock setup. I assumed that the GoWesty replacement was just that; a replacement for the original metal key/tumbler setup. I then found a water fill hookup with metal key and lock tumbler here on the Samba classifieds and bought it. It looks to be a better made setup then the plastic one.

Sorry about that call. Looks like VW went with the plastic setup sometime after 85-86.....

The mystery continues.

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Rhinoculips - Can you post a close up picture of the key? I've never had one but would like to see if I could make one somehow.

Thanks!

Here you go. The dimensions(not including the large flat part on the left) - the round section is just shy of 3/8" long X 3/16" diameter. The flat part that turns the release is a 3/16" long X heavy 1/16" high X 1/16" thick

I have a total of 4 keys. Theres no need for me to have 3 backups. So I am more than happy to give 2 away F.O.C. One per person. It would be nice if these would go to people that have lost all water tank keys and not just someone looking for a back up. If you would like one, PM your address to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Thanks!

Here you go. The dimensions(not including the large flat part on the left) - the round section is just shy of 3/8" long X 3/16" diameter. The flat part that turns the release is a 3/16" long X heavy 1/16" high X 1/16" thick

I have a total of 4 keys. Theres no need for me to have 3 backups. So I am more than happy to give 2 away F.O.C. One per person. It would be nice if these would go to people that have lost all water tank keys and not just someone looking for a back up. If you would like one, PM your address to me.

i'll get in line for one, i just broke mine, however i do have a spare so i would step aside if someone needs it more. hate using my spare cuz i'll end up breaking it at the wrong time Crying or Very sad
generous offer rhinoculips Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of them as well that I'm not using. I'll be away for a couple of weeks, returning the 10th of November if you can wait that long for me to send out. If the other 2 get taken and there is a need for my 2, pmail me as well, and I'll dig them out.

Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

Thanks!

I did make one in brass as a gift for a Westy owner who had lost his (Banjojay67) and it workes fine. The lock is a bit of a tight fit so trial and error is necessary but it certainly can be done. Small files and a dremel tool are in order but certainly not brain surgery (or valve grinding).
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to wake this thread up I think. Anyone know where to get a key like this. My westy came without and I open it with a pick thingy now.

Thanks

Rhinoculips wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Thanks!

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this 'watertank key' you all mention? My watertank has a brand new cap I bought here in Germany. Came with a metal key, too. And its a real lock and key, not this luggage key in the pic. I got it from this guy

http://server5.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SES...terID=4357
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one worked for me.
American lock company.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: