Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 500, 501, 502 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FINALLY got WonderVan back on the road (after having FUBAR'd the PS front spindle for lack of adequate wheel bearing work)... Embarassed

Only real struggle was holding the end rod link snug enough to reinstall the castle nut, but got it done like so:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and here's the job finished, just before reinstalling grease cap & the wheel itself:

New Zimmerman rotors, turned & trued, then cleaned & dried, new MB axle nuts, ready to roll... Twisted Evil
Only <other> surprise I had was I came back from the test run short the grease cap, so now I'm
shopping for a grease cap. Wish me luck! Rolling Eyes Wink Cool

- Dave

PS: Sincere thanks to jberger for hooking me up with a good used spindle, and for much less
than the $250-400 they wanted from the online parts houses...
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced side axle seals at the final drive- Finally installed the muffler correctly with regards to orientation of the Cat to muffler flange, and added GoWesty Stainless Steel strap. Amazing how it all lines up correctly once correctly installed... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Removed my rear bumper, drilled out and retapped the lower bolt holes since the two bolts snapped during removal. Sanded rusted metal in a few places, sprayed primer, then color matched top coat with Assuan Brown, which really matched the OG paint.... Shocked

Replaced some broken impact strip clips on the bumper.

Buffed more paint with cleaner Wax.

Took apart the rear hatch lock cyl. to key the tumblers to match my key, this was the last lock I needed to match for a single key operation of the vehicle.
Nice to finally have that lock function... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Only real struggle was holding the end rod link snug enough to reinstall the castle nut, but got it done like so:

Wish me luck! Rolling Eyes Wink Cool

Nice - Brink & Cotton wins again!! IMO the best cast iron C-clamps ever made. I haunt Ebay looking for those 142 1/2 clamps. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Brink & Cotton...!! IMO the best cast iron C-clamps ever made...

Yup! I've had a full set since college...coincidentally, about the same year as the van was new.
They've been well used (& only very slightly abused) with only a bit of wear to show for it...

Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Brink & Cotton...!! IMO the best cast iron C-clamps ever made...

Yup! I've had a full set since college...coincidentally, about the same year as the van was new.
They've been well used (& only very slightly abused) with only a bit of wear to show for it...

Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

Cool! What constitutes a 'full set'? I only have 42 B&C clamps from #141 to #146, mostly #142 and 142 1/2.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OK, I guess I'm not really sure what "full set" means either, but I do have pairs
of 3", 4" & 6", although now only one 8" (lost one but haven't replaced)...it was
all the local hardware store carried at the time...anyway, yeah...all good stuff...

Basic hand tools FTW! Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

... the grease cap ....

That missing grease cup, any relations with the MB axle nut ? not enough space inthere ?

I'm thinking of going that way instead of the peen nut.

English is a second language to me
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You're not the first to ask!

Discussion from my spindle-specific thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9056565#9056565

Quote:
?Waldo? wrote:
Any chance of contact between the head of the spindle nut pinch bolt and the grease cap being the culprit for losing the cap?

dhaavers wrote:
Nah...more likely due to not fully seating the grease cap because I wanted to more easily check the axle nut after driving a bit. Live & learn... Rolling Eyes

Oh...and also in those 10 miles it was about 8 miles of gravel... Embarassed

- Dave

So yeah...there's plenty of clearance & when the new cap comes in I'll get it on there for good. Wink

- D

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
OK, I guess I'm not really sure what "full set" means either, but I do have pairs
of 3", 4" & 6", although now only one 8" (lost one but haven't replaced)...it was
all the local hardware store carried at the time...anyway, yeah...all good stuff...

Basic hand tools FTW! Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

Absolutely! I use my 6" B&C C-clamp to push pistons back into calipers when replacing brake pads.
www.thebassspa.com
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Vanagon license plate LED lighting upgrade Reply with quote

Got the LEDs from superbrightleds.com installed all the way around! This should improve my license plate visibility:

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally added some truck mirrors to the Westy. Have had on other rides so knew what we were getting. Great addition!

Better visibility and cleaner side windows. For some reason the power mirrors direct airflow in just the wrong way to smear bugs on the driver's and passenger windows. Not so with these!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I replaced the brake master cylinder. It developed a tiny visible hole near the 2x 10mm mounting points. I wonder if it can be welded to fix. However its pretty rusty and old anyway.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bent a new copper line for propex under fridge replacing dometic LP line.

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced blue foil on dash cluster with Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kit from vanagon.org. Super easy and very satisfying.

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced paper baffles with new plastic set from GW

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced rear speakers with modern JBL 3.5" speakers mounted into OEM grill covers.

New speakers came with "ears" to flush mount. After knocking out Blaupunkt OEM speakers from plastic cover and cleaning up glue, needed to cut off ears to fit into plastic cylinder.

Added hot-glued ring of insulation foam to create seal around perimeter of speaker. Screws to attach to housing on side of speaker.

Added screw in the side threads that fits easily in the gap between the hole in the back cabinet and the diameter of the speaker cover ring. The flange at the front covers the gap. Just make sure to keep it close enough to the front to let the retaining ring screw all the way on in the back. (so put the screw far enough forward toward the flange that it will be in the gap between the hole in the cabinet when everything is installed)

Between the foam and the screws, the speaker is in the speaker is a very tight fit in the cover cylinder.

Wired up resistor that came with speakers using two butt connectors so I didn't have to do that in the cabinet.

Screwed on the OEM retaining ring on the back and wired into factory wiring. (could have been PO wiring, not sure)

Factory look, modern sound quality:

riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This past weekend I got her out of the garage and recommissioned. She started right up with no lifter noise! We took her out for a drive and she shifted like butter thanks to the new shift linkage repair kit and rear bushing I installed late last fall. Prior to that I had to gently depress the gear shift in order to find first gear. I used a 23mm block of wood to properly adjust the splined connection, and all is well.

This past week I made my own BZ shelf out of a 1x11x48" oak stair tread. I followed the instructions provided to me by Tom Buese (Thanks Tom!). The only difference was the thickness of the wood (about 7/8" rather than 3/4") and I incorporated blind barrel nuts to secure the u-bolts.

This is going to be great when camping! Plenty of room for all the stuff we never had room for up top, even the 20v DeWalt fan when the temps are insufferable. PS - the dogs love this fan when we're parked and they need to remain inside.

Yeah, I know. That's not a fan, but rather a DeWalt impact driver. It just happened to be in the picture.

Next I need to address the Timesert on the oil drain plug. While changing the oil last fall before lay-up the insert unscrewed with the plug. Being short on time and not having the part or tools at hand, I just screwed the boogered up mess back in and filled the crankcase with fresh oil.

Guess what? It drips oil.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put in laminate flooring leftover from my parents remodel. Looks nice, and might actually tie together some otherwise conflicting color. Next up is to finish the Westy kitchen cabinet with hand pump faucet, converted 1lb green can propane, and mount in the van. Syncrofest in only a few days!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Powdercoat glossy black Bully side steps! Reply with quote

I thought the aluminum ones looked stupid, so I had them powdercoated!

4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put in the rear abs panels.....had to take both the bench and the middle seats out to get all the panels in place. Looks nice and no more warped and worn out panels.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 500, 501, 502 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 501 of 630

Jump to: