Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 510, 511, 512 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's the one I have had my eyes on, yes.

Anyway, I got the Westy out of the garage, so I can work on the Ghia a bit.. company coming who get a kick out of it, and time to teach my twins to drive stick Smile

jlrftype7 wrote:

Is this the one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
Someone on here has made an alternative to the clam shell that might suit you.

Ya, found the classified you referred to. Looks good. Maybe the rmw one would work, too, not sure. Will have to phone them up on Monday. Hate to spend $'s on something I should just mod myself, but this might be one of those occasions.

Thanks

Is this the one?

Years back Dogpilot (anyone remember dogpilot?) made up his own triangular carrier using 2 or 3" strap.
Looked very simple and clever.
I seem to remember him saying that it only cost $ 3 to make.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have read a lot of posts where DogPilot was spot on. I'd like to meet a lot of folks in person from this forum, and meeting DogPilot would certainly be on my bucket list!

I think I will try something with that inspiration first. Thanks for the reminder!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I took it camping. First time! Dancing

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ServantOfElwood wrote:
I took it camping. First time!

Looks like Home to me! Way to go!
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Congratulations! The Ghost Ship sails again!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The night before takeoff, I drove Ghostie to the airport to pick up my husband, and on the way there Something In The Front started roaring. Long story short, there's nothing like getting the front wheel bearings done the day you're taking off on a camping trip. Only 6 hours late to the site ... but she's getting two more mpg now! Going to get the rear ones done as well... maybe even more savings LOL.

Now I've gotten all these ideas on outfitting her. Fairy lights at the top of the list... What?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ServantOfElwood wrote:

So glad to see this…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FINALLY got my ABA engine back together after a dropped valve 2 months ago...endless delays waiting for parts...hung a valve spring on the valve spring ledge in the head on the first go (WHY couldn't you taper those, VW?) and had to strip it back off as I could not get those damn keepers out with it installed - so much for a new head gasket and bolts with 0 miles...

Need a new fuel pump now, engine sounds like she's starving for fuel - running a Pathfinder one just as a 'get it running' thing. But she does run!! Finally!

Then put the dash back together and installed a new mp3 stereo and cleaned up the PO's gawdawful radio wiring mess - he must have used two rolls of electrical tape and clearly solder was an unknown thing to him, everything twisted together by hand and then mummified with ancient half-melted tape. AND he wired the radio through the headlight switch, so the radio only worked with the headlights on. Confused

Then sorted out the door handles and all take one key now except the slider - next on the list to fix.

Then I wrote a haiku about the wiring:

I am a Zen guy
But, P.O., should I see you
I'll slap you silly

Last edited by leecat on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally added my bike rack. As you can see, I have already a lot of stuff on the back of the bumper, and I needed a way to carry my kids (3 kids) bikes. There were some great options shown in the "bike rack" thread, but I settled on the Yakima four timer (i removed the extension that allows 2more bikes for this trip).

I added a Kuat hitch extender (Kuat Hi-Lo i think is what it is called, it extends 7 or 10 inches, I have it at 10 inches for I usually put my orca cooler on the tray, and it sticks out farther than the metal box).

Anyways, just wanted to share some pics. Worked great for our purpose. Not sure how the taillight visibility was but my wife was following me on our trip and she didnt seem "surprised" at all when I was braking.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1. Nice vanity tag
2. Also, good promo of GoWesty in that shadow
3. A third brake light was on the first project I did…a strip of LEDs up by the headbanger. Recommended if you are going to travel laden.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Think I have found my oil leak. It may be blowing out of the dipstick tube. Found this all over the hatch.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
1. Nice vanity tag
2. Also, good promo of GoWesty in that shadow
3. A third brake light was on the first project I did…a strip of LEDs up by the headbanger. Recommended if you are going to travel laden.

Thanks PB! Yup I've got the third brake light kit installed (added it before the swing aways). Cheers!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
ServantOfElwood wrote:

So glad to see this…

Didn't get the fridge in yet. Water system came apart so no water hookup this time. But I had shore power, propane to the stove, and most importantly an updated cigarette lighter so I can charge my phone Very Happy
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil change, trying a different weight to see if that alleviates some of the heat. The 20-50W I dropped looked pretty burnt after just a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles.

Took another run at installing the diesel filler tube I ordered from Germany (cuz I'm too dumb to know when I'm licked) and I just couldn't make it work. This mutant install just doesn't allow it.

I did find that one of the muffler hangers had lost a a bolt, making it more muffler cradle at one end. I'll grab a 13mm bolt and put that to rights tomorrow.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

repairing felt pad cover using bubble insulation and stapler - cheap ! !

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
My feuerwehr Syncro was first in class for a repeat win at the Vintage VW meet in Shoreline, WA. There were a few more vans this year.

Sighhhhh.... the secret Shoreline Vintage VW meet has passed by theSambas Vanagon forum once again.

Hmmm wait a minute. Those fellers think Vanagons are too modern? We’re not Eurovans or Routans....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Do post, curious just what your going for. Plus, I love the “doing things the hard way” approach Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9135142#9135142
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quick question to the group...I want to be able to cut the power to the entire fuse panel. I assume switching one of the "P" connections will do this. Photos of the location are welcome. Thanks!
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Coolant level sensor o ring finally gave out and looked disintegrated. Could barely notice it was even on there. The oem coolant expansion tank and coolant level sensor looked pretty old so I just replaced them both and the 2 expansion tank hoses. Also replaced the cap with a BLAU. My old BLAU still works but I'll keep it as a back up. Easy job and no more leaking Very Happy I wanted the ALUMINUM EXPANSION TANK from VC/RMW but couldn't afford it Sad
4spd
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 510, 511, 512 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 511 of 631

Jump to: