Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wanted to replace the sliding door gasket, turned into hours of removing pounds and pounds of glue from the last person who put the gasket in. Figured while I was in there ordered new bearings and cleaned up all the tracks and other rollers. Slides wicked nice now...
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Since the weather was totally wet, that stopped my continuation of body work I started a few days back at the beginning of the month.
So, plan B, changed oil for Fall/Winter temps.
Removed front door panels and lubed the window regulators, added Dynamat and replaced inner and outer Scraper Seals. Of course, I forgot to tighten the Vent Window Bolts while I had them apart... Evil or Very Mad ,, Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed .
Replaced the Taillight Lenses with new ones from Burley, replaced 1 bad brake bulb while I was at it.
Dropped the Auto Trans Pan to inspect the valve body since removing the Governor earlier in the week didn’t help shed any light on my lost 3rd Gear. ( Gov was fault free)
Found a very thin metal shim, broken, in the pan, and most of its mating half above in the filter. Filter only had a light amount of Steel Glitter in the screen.
The plot thickens and the Trans will have to come out most likely.
Put everything back together with a new filter and pan gasket, plus fluid and slowly drove home since, hey, I only have 2 speeds at this time.... Razz Razz
Can you say Power Glide.. Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
tbd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the Temp2 sensor on my 89 camper without draining the antifreeze, except for the mount than ran into my coveralls as I lay on the garage floor under the van. On the plus side, the van starts right up and idles instead of flooding out.
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

When to have a look why, when I was backing up, the hole van felt like it was on the edge of shattering. I guest tomorrow the flywheel must come out Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and sure enough, while getting to the clutch I found something else

at least the other side looks okay

English is a second language to me

Last edited by pathao on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadMarkuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
MadMarkuss wrote:
I found a 2nd windshield washer pump and ran it inline with the first. It's an improvement, but I plan to try running one to each side to see if that is even better.

?.... The stock spray didn’t work for you in terms of flow or pressure?
Just curious.... Confused

The flow was not great previously. Also, the spray pattern varied too much with speed. The additional flow authority provides a bit more consistancy at all speeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MadMarkuss wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
MadMarkuss wrote:
I found a 2nd windshield washer pump and ran it inline with the first. It's an improvement, but I plan to try running one to each side to see if that is even better.

?.... The stock spray didn’t work for you in terms of flow or pressure?
Just curious.... Confused

The flow was not great previously. Also, the spray pattern varied too much with speed. The additional flow authority provides a bit more consistancy at all speeds.
Interesting
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Worked on the body of the Drivers Side today. It was in worse shape than the passenger side, but not horrible. Just more square footage to deal with... Wink
While waiting for things to dry or set up, I replaced the 4 way coolant housing at the rear of the engine compartment with a metal version from Van Cafe.
Disconnected the Auto Trans Cooler/ Heat Exchanger, and will replace it with an Air Cooled version soon.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

During my last Road Trip, I participated in the phenomenon of having cars be on my rear bumper although I was in the far right lane and not going any slower than traffic in general. I ascribed it to me being the one in the VW Van, therefore I must be going too slow.

I won't contribute to the issue. although I'd like to make a comment to those drivers who seem intent on reading my stickers despite their nearsightedness:

Just trying to help,

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Love it!

Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Swapped out the 60 lb. struts on my Jack Bombay Pop Top setup for 120 lbs. Either I have suddenly gained impressive upper-body strength or these puppies work as advertised. Thanks, Mark! Now I can add to the ore sample collection in my rocket box without fear.

Jack Bombay. Better'n Jack LaLanne.

Dan
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed the 30-year old cat converter, O2 sensor, muffler, and rustified brackets. How this van has passed emissions tests for the last 10 years is beyond me... the O2 sensor date code is December 1989 and the inside of the 30-year-old cat still looks functional. Shocked

Cleaned up the heat shield. Slowly cleaning up the exhaust pipes.

Removed the receiver hitch and put it in storage (nope, not for sale).

Removed the rear bumper (will be doing touch-up painting) and cleaned up the rear fascia... will be prepping and painting the lower half today.

Still to do: Install new cat-back components and coolant pipe replacement. Fun times ahead! Very Happy Mad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
During my last Road Trip, I participated in the phenomenon of having cars be on my rear bumper although I was in the far right lane and not going any slower than traffic in general. I ascribed it to me being the one in the VW Van, therefore I must be going too slow.

I won't contribute to the issue. although I'd like to make a comment to those drivers who seem intent on reading my stickers despite their nearsightedness:

Just trying to help,

Dan
. I like it..... Applause Applause Dancing Dancing
BrentWesty84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Some closet updates. Should improve things.
Tambour door and shelving unit.

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BrentWesty84 wrote:
Tambour door and shelving unit.

That there's pretty sweet, BW84.

Dan
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Continued on with more small rust and paint areas. Sanded and painted the roof gutter areas on both sides. No holes, but the rust would have gotten there at some point if left unchecked.
Removed and painted the Engine Intake Grills, Trim Satin Black. A bit of Bling, but I like the color pop back there now.
Adjusted the Glovebox Striker , added shims to it for better Alignment with the Glovebox.

Removed the Valve Block on my Automatic Trans and disassembled it, carefully.... Wink
Was hopeful when I found a tiny, tiny, hardened bit of Silicone Sealant near the 2-3 valves, but it didn’t help getting 3rd gear back.
Adjust the fit of the manual valve arm to make better contact and will now check the linkage again since I took pictures of where the arms are inside the trans to reference the cables and relay arm/rod against the info in Bentley as a whole picture.
Was good to at least end up with a still working Transmission and no leaks for my first time removing the valve body and taking it apart. As a side note, fairly clean inside the VB and the Separator Plate was okay as well.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil & filter chg, removed wheels and cleaned & inspected all brakes and found them to still have plenty of linings left. No leaky seals so flushed & replaced brake fluid, cleaned the brake dust & road grime from the wheels and rotated the tires front to back. Measured thread depth and found all to be around 8/32 inside, outside & middle of tires. Still need to adjust air pressure. Test drove and all checked out. Time for a road trip to the NC coast..wonder how the fishing is. Laughing
87 Syncro GL
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Painted the sliding door, it had been resprayed at some point with an off-brown compared to the stock Assuan Brown... Now it matches.... Cool

Washed and waxed older paint, especially the roof.
Next spring I’ll have to address the very thin paint on the roof, but it’s okay for now.

Replaced the flat seal on my sliding door cover piece in the rear, the old one was rock hard and seem to have shrunk a bit as well.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washed my van in the rain. We park under trees and get a lot of grunge that accumulates on vehicles. I took advantage of a constant water supply and got out there in a raincoat and with a sponge and gave it a scrub. Worked.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Washed my van in the rain. We park under trees and get a lot of grunge that accumulates on vehicles. I took advantage of a constant water supply and got out there in a raincoat and with a sponge and gave it a scrub. Worked.
If only we had a Video of this.... Razz Razz
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cool, but what I can't understand is...why bother with the raincoat.
87 Syncro GL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 515 of 629

Jump to: