Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It was too nice out today to muck about in the garage on yet another kit to install.. Instead, took my sweetheart out for a second day in a row for a nice drive, and a chance to talk, away from the kids. It was 2 and a half hours tour, mostly twisty back roads (paved tho) to see the country side in a different direction than yesterday. No mechanical issues at all. Very nice day.

Then, when we got home, as I had semi-planned after a nice drive sometime, decided that I would drain the Red Tek Trans oil that had 25,000 miles on it-- from the first time I had done the trans oil in late 2015 - early 2016. I have some Swepco 202 ready to go in after I let it drip for a few hours. Anyway, the real meat of this last 25K:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, nothing overtly wrong, but a LOT of stuff on the magnet. Hast to be time for a rebuild at some point, but willing to just keep driving it while it's going strong.

-bobby
Legbreaker7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So, this is my first post here and I don’t know where else to post. So remove this if it’s too off topic.

I’m a big Toyota guy. (Don’t kill me). And recently my parents neighbor who was a massive VW fan (owns like 4 vans) got into a major accident on a work trip and left him with brain damage. Thankfully he is recovering okay but will never be able to drive again. I helped him work on his vans a few times and his wife knew I was a car guy so she has asked me to help sell some parts that he has had in storage. I have no clue on the value or if they are even needed by anyone on here. They are mostly from his VW vangaon synchro. It was 4x4 with a turbo diesel conversion. Epic van to drive and camp in.

Long story long.

I have a brand new vanagon fridge, solar panels, outside table mounts, custom gas tank with pump, and a ton more parts. What should I do? Thanks guys.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Legbreaker7 wrote:
So, this is my first post here and I don’t know where else to post. So remove this if it’s too off topic.

I’m a big Toyota guy. (Don’t kill me). And recently my parents neighbor who was a massive VW fan (owns like 4 vans) got into a major accident on a work trip and left him with brain damage. Thankfully he is recovering okay but will never be able to drive again. I helped him work on his vans a few times and his wife knew I was a car guy so she has asked me to help sell some parts that he has had in storage. I have no clue on the value or if they are even needed by anyone on here. They are mostly from his VW vangaon synchro. It was 4x4 with a turbo diesel conversion. Epic van to drive and camp in.

Long story long.

I have a brand new vanagon fridge, solar panels, outside table mounts, custom gas tank with pump, and a ton more parts. What should I do? Thanks guys.
. Check with the mods on putting this stuff in the Parts Classified Ad section. Take reasonable pictures of the items too.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wait.. what? I've got plenty of Toyotas. You might consider what a VW might add to your life. Keep the brakes engaged and stay cool. See if you can get the Syncro..
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Look at the top, select the classifieds button, go down to parts type 2 vanagon.

In general syncro specific parts sell for a premium.

Absolutely all the parts that you mentioned, while not specifically syncro parts, are usable.

You'll want to be very specific about the parts, for instance if its a truck fridge.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Legbreaker7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Look at the top, select the classifieds button, go down to parts type 2 vanagon.

In general syncro specific parts sell for a premium.

Absolutely all the parts that you mentioned, while not specifically syncro parts, are usable.

You'll want to be very specific about the parts, for instance if its a truck fridge.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I would have bought the van if I could afford it. The thing is mint. I think his wife is having one of his friends sell the van. I think they're asking like 50-60k, which as a younger guy I surely dont have.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to take all the photos I can tomorrow and post it there.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Legbreaker7 wrote:
I think they're asking like 50-60k

Lol...we have a thread you can post those pics in -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403725
Legbreaker7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Legbreaker7 wrote:
I think they're asking like 50-60k

Lol...we have a thread you can post those pics in -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403725

I have no idea what they run for. All I know is its pretty mint condition with a good amount of mods and a TDI engine conversion in it. It was fun to drive. Should I post my pics in there?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

No! Ha that's sarcasm from that one.
That's a thread complaining about folks charging too much for stuff.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Legbreaker7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Woosh. I missed that one on first glance. Yeah. She made an offhand comment on the price but she also doesn’t know anything about the vans. I’m willing to bet it sold for much less than that.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

There's asking price and then there's selling price. People ask Pie In The Sky prices based on what they see here on Samba and other sites.
It's the rare vehicle that gets that type of money. Most people nowadays don't want a Diesel conversion and are opting toward a 1.8T or a well built WBX.
Remember that most items even if unused sell as half of new, our hobby is on its decline as people shift towards Sprinters, Promasters and Transit vans.
Do us all a favor and post what that van really sells for. No doubt it will be here in the Classifieds after it sits on Craigslist with no bites getting nothing but scam replies.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

If I ever sell my syncro westy I will be posting it directly to the official whine thread.
MobyDuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FIXED IT!!

Dashboard temp gauge slowly stopped working - not all at once, but slowly.

The sending unit voltage checked out. This was a dashboard gauge issue.

All I did to get the gauge working again was to::

1. Remove the instrument cluster ( to get better access to the screw to remove the pictured unit) by unplugging all electric connection blocks, the speedo and on four crews that secure the plastic cluster frame. Easier than one would think!

2. Remove the pictured unit and gently sand the three prong contacts and re-install the pictured unit.

3. Re-install the instrument cluster.

Now the temp gauge works!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Legbreaker7 wrote:
levi wrote:

Woosh. I missed that one on first glance. Yeah. She made an offhand comment on the price but she also doesn’t know anything about the vans. I’m willing to bet it sold for much less than that.

I will be in OC Thursday.....

PM sent

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
WilsonsWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished powder coating the suspension parts for my Vanagon and shooting the undercoating. Got all the front end back together minus the steering rack and tie rods (some items still being shipped).

Pretty happy. Should be moving on to the rear end this week and have it back to a roller.

1980 Westy Vanagon - Just getting started on the restore!

If you want to see what I am doing to it, I have a facebook page started for the restoration: https://www.facebook.com/wilsonswesty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legbreaker7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Already have some hits on the parts.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by Legbreaker7 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wilson Westy -- very pretty work. I admire the outcomes of those additional steps to prep and re-coat the parts that are ancillary to the project central objective.

Cheers!
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the drain plug put back in the trans. Began looking for the Swepco 202 that arrived a couple weeks ago. Nope, not anywhere to be found. Can't fathom what might have happened. Too many people around, some of which can't remember what they may or may not have done. Certainly could have been tossed into the garbage, unopened.

Spent a couple hours digging around, and around again.

Ugh!!!!!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I've done that with bicycle parts. The self-kicking eventually subsides.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MobyDuck wrote:
FIXED IT!!

Dashboard temp gauge slowly stopped working - not all at once, but slowly.

The sending unit voltage checked out. This was a dashboard gauge issue.

All I did to get the gauge working again was to::

1. Remove the instrument cluster ( to get better access to the screw to remove the pictured unit) by unplugging all electric connection blocks, the speedo and on four crews that secure the plastic cluster frame. Easier than one would think!

2. Remove the pictured unit and gently sand the three prong contacts and re-install the pictured unit.

3. Re-install the instrument cluster.

Now the temp gauge works!!

Now that ^^^ is the kind of quality content I like to see here!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 520 of 629

Jump to: