Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's a great idea to use a square nut and then drill 4 holes to weld through!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's the original that got knocked loose. You can see the spot welds on the corners, the ones that gave out at some point. I need to learn to weld.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got to the welder this afternoon for four little tacks. This should do nicely.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

When I bought the Westy in September of '18, I figured I got a good deal and it ran, and still runs, like a watch. The suspension had been gone through. It was missing some camper components but hey, I've got the Samba and I know how to do some stuff.

The Westy didn't have a propane tank and the stove wasn't plumbed. Searching the Vanagon Forum showed me how to hook up a regulator and hose to the stove for 1 pound cans. Works fabulously.

The Westy didn't have a fridge. Searched the Samba and decided to get an Engel MR45 that runs off my Goal Zero Yeti or through the cigarette lighter when I'm rolling.

The sink wasn't plumbed for the drain or water. Last week I hooked up the drain after digging out the plug siliconed into the floor pan. I've had a 12 volt immersible stainless steel pump for a while and a stock faucet I got from Dr. Bjorn's Auto (info I found on The Samba). Installed a Blue Sea fuse block (Samba), pulled wires to and from it, I've got running water in Miss Dorothy! Set mine up to draw out of a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs in the cabinet under the sink. I might have innovated that last bit. If not, Samba.

So, what did I do to my van today? Last Road Trip, Cindy discovered that the stove knobs have more than an on-off function. There's also "Pilot Light". So, today I painted the recessed dots on the new gray stove knobs white so she could tell when the burners are off. Oh, and I changed the oil and filter. Taking Cindy up to Joshua Tree for her Birthday. We'll be at Chaco for Vernal Equinox again this year.

I still have projects to do. Pretty sure I can find the inspiration and the info on this awesome website. Thanks to all ya'll for the things you teach me.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWestW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I haven't done it yet, but I bought a can of spray paint and am thinking of taping off the closet window (the part that is covered by the closet) and giving that closet window the "white-out" treatment. I have a white van and figure it will look OK and prevent any looking in or heat-gain from that window. Good idea or bad idea? Better options?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

RWestW wrote:
I haven't done it yet, but I bought a can of spray paint and am thinking of taping off the closet window (the part that is covered by the closet) and giving that closet window the "white-out" treatment. I have a white van and figure it will look OK and prevent any looking in or heat-gain from that window. Good idea or bad idea? Better options?

You might want to try Plasti-Kote spray that can be peeled off easily if you don't like it.
BrentWesty84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BrentWesty84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Winter Projects. Painted fridge trim, new laminate on door and bottom drawer. Found used ladder and bent to fit.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the driver's seat back together and it turned out okay. As mentioned before, this much effort is probably better expended on new seatcovers rather than used, but it was an interesting exercise.

The hardest part had to do with the headrest, both in the recovering and in removing the attachment tubes so I could complete the seatback.

EVs use plastic receiver tubes inserted into the top of the seatback frame and I could not figure out how to remove them and they must come out in order for the new cover to go on properly. The old cover can be cut off if you're not giving it away. See those slots in the front side? I figured these were important and they are.

You work a thin screwdriver down along that side and by prying in the right spot you can release the little tooth that holds the plastic tube in the metal frame, and out it comes.

The new-to-me fabric looks good on the seat, although it bags a little. That may work out. The old fabric on the armrests does not clash as badly as I expected and the armrest repair is great! Recovering the headrest was a hassle; the old cover had to be wrestled off using all the choicest words but the new one went on much more easily. I may not bother to do the other seat since that fabric is much better than this seat's was and the mismatch will drive my wife crazy. I still have the pristine stock Westy seats to go back in if I need something better looking.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I replaced my long-in-the-tooth Voltage Regulator in my Alternator tonight. Should have been done sooner... Embarassed

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Also removed my losing battle with my still rusting Tail pipe and replaced it with a Vintage Speed Stainless Steel version. The steel one had maybe 3k on it , had been removed and sand blasted and repainted with high temp exhaust paint, but stubbornly kept rusting..... Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .
Hopefully this ‘bling’ model will hold up better... Razz

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the driver's seat reinstalled. Left off the seatback grab handle and gained a little more lean. These covers also lack the pocket of the originals but that's not a big deal on the driver's side.

Also received my tank reseal kit from Van Cafe so I'll probably tackle that next.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
campism wrote:
After finding mouse nests during my interior work a couple weeks ago I decided to do some mouseproofing. Got two bars of the Irish Spring soap recommended in several threads and cut each into long strips, then put each strip into a ziploc bag and pierced each bag several times so the fumes...er, aroma could escape to permeate the interior, and I scattered these around the interior; glovebox, under rear seat, each cubby, sink cabinet, etc. Not a fan of the smell but neither are mouses, if the testimonials are to be believed.

Of course, not long after my little project I was reading up elsewhere on mouseproofing and saw this.

And I found this today, one of my plants that looks like it's been savored since I set it in place a couple of pages ago. On to Plan B, whatever that is.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spend a long long time getting a seat out. Took some creativity to get but I eventually prevailed.

Rust is a bitch. Even harder in a single cab where you have no access from behind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Adjusted rear brakes a tiny bit and flushed the brake fluid again.
sillymofo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Going to do an oil change....though need a Nissan V6 3.0L oil filter.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Welcome! We need a wider angle view of that ^ engine compartment, and some details.
sillymofo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1985 Westfalia

4 Speed (Stock)

Nissan VG30 V6 3.0L

Weddle Industries 4.13 Ring and Pinion

Porsche 944 Axles

Can cruise at around 90-95 KPH an easy 25-2600 RPM

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did you do the swap or was it purchased in that configuration? That engine install is not unheard of, but the most notorious version belonged to a newlywed couple who managed to slide off a mountainside on their honeymoon, as I recall. They survived, but the van did not.

From an ad for a similar van:
"While I've heard stories of Japanese engines in Vanagons, I don't think I've seen one up for sale yet, until now. A cool $20k $18k down in San Diego will get you this 1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper fitted with a 3.0L Nissan V6 from a 1992 Maxima. Not much is mentioned about the conversion, other than it's CA DMV certified, which means it was likely done by a professional. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on these, however there is a crazy honemoon story(link) about an adventure with a 'MaxiWesty.'"
sillymofo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have read the article and the van that I drive has not been a let down what so ever. It pulls strong, engine is very reliable and is a great highway cruiser with its low revs after I had the Ring and Pinion installed. I will try and take some video this weekend of it running. I am just using an older phone as my new one broke but see what I can do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 529 of 630

Jump to: