Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 530, 531, 532 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cleaned out the engine compartment after blasting through a huge mud puddle out in Chaco.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed Frank Condelli's rear head rest kit. Was surprised at how easy it was.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Delightful sunny afternoon!!!

Alt belt started chirping when cold, so I wanted to tighten things up a bit. Well, I remembered the spark plugs I got and needed to do, and while I was doing that, I spotted 2 CV bolts that came loose. So, Sparks, belts, and CV bolts all back in spec!

These look gnarly!!

ezmass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed a Rockville 8" subwoofer under my passenger seat, perfect fit and sounds awesome - especially for under $90.

stevets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I exercised some electrical demons.

The fuse position for the heater blower and wipers was fried and someone had installed a blade type fuse holder work around. The fuse would immediately fry when powered up and the rear wipers would not shut off. I'd seen evidence of mice and George ( pronounced Horhey) had been idle for some years. My guess was mouse nest in the blower so it could not turn resulting in overload and thus blown fuses.

I was right!

You can see the little f2435er top right in this photo.

Dash out, heater box out, blower removed, de-louse the whole thing and an opportunity to take a real close look at all the wiring. Fixed a few things, re-grounded everything including ground trees, a few drops of oil in the blower bearing and back together. It all works and I'm feeling a bit heroic. If I can do this so can you.

ezmass - thanks for sharing. I have a 10 incher of these in my other van and was hoping the 8 would work in the spot you've chosen. Time for some music in this little buggy Very Happy

[/img]
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Completed a 4 day cycle of Ospho on all my seams, and chips. Soaked the Opsho into the seams repeatedly each afternoon. All of this followed up with 2 coats of 3M Mar-Hyde, which is curing at home right now. (Drove the Tundra to work today.) Hope the 'treatment' gets me another year to find my alternative Westy while the Kitchen Rot on Flossie is remedied. Full removal of Westy interior will be necessary, and I don't want to be without a spare, yes, I am a bit nuts. ONE Westy SHOULD be enough for anyone. But, for some reason, I want two for myself and one for each of my kids.

-bobby
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished (I hope) cooling system upgrades. New stainless pipes, rear heater bypass, thermostat, and expansion tank. Cleaned and reused the level sensor. Hoses, clamps etc replaced where necessary.
A leaking hose and corroded fitting under the intake manifold were replaced. This may have been a source of the odd temp. fluctuations noted previously.
New coolant and bled system. Thanks, Adrian!
A short test drive discovered nothing unusual. Temp gage is now steady just under the LED.
So far, so good.

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I fixed the cruise control. Well maybe not fixed as it turns out it wasn't broken. It was driving me nuts. I checked and rechecked every step in the Bentley. Followed the wiring diagram. Turns out it was the LED stop lights. Put the old incandescent bulbs back in and it magically works again. I don't understand it, but it wasn't coincidence. Put the LED's back in, no cruise control. Put the incandescent bulbs back all is well.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
I fixed the cruise control. Well maybe not fixed as it turns out it wasn't broken. It was driving me nuts. I checked and rechecked every step in the Bentley. Followed the wiring diagram. Turns out it was the LED stop lights. Put the old incandescent bulbs back in and it magically works again. I don't understand it, but it wasn't coincidence. Put the LED's back in, no cruise control. Put the incandescent bulbs back all is well.

Without the low resistance of the incandescent bulbs, the brake signal going to the cruise control doesn't get properly grounded, but 'floats'. So the cruise won't work as it relies on that signal (among others) to know it's OK to engage.
You could add a parallel resistor to the LEDs to emulate the resistance of the OEM bulbs.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did a 0 to 100 km/h (a 0 to 60 in medieval English Wink )

(drumroll)

22.5 seconds! WOOHOOOO ! Fast and Furious !

Stock 1990 Westy, 2.1 auto, driver plus some stuff.

Is there a thread for these? I'm sure this is one of the best results. Razz
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Close.
There's a 30 to 50 challenge thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306851&highlight=post+30+50
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yuck. Drowning a sentient creature? Make it quick and painless please
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took the rusty dirty engine carrier bar to a buddy's metal shop for a sandblast cleaning. This is my first time, really amazed at the quick good results.

After a short bit of work:

As a bonus find, there is a faint VW logo and date stamp on the underside of the bar near the center. Matches the year of this rig.

After 10 years of ownership I still enjoy these little discoveries.
sillymofo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Front end work. GoWesty full bushing kit. New Stabilizer, Moog 5660 front springs, Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks front and rear

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday- replaced a tail light bulb, then ran some errands in the van.
Last night- neighbor advised me lights were still on. Embarassed
They were. Dimly.
This morning- deployed battery charger.
Reviewed recent posts at "Official Lazy Person's Stupid Questions" thread.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

sillymofo wrote:
Front end work. GoWesty full bushing kit. New Stabilizer, Moog 5660 front springs, Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks front and rear

What are the part numbers on the shocks you used? Rancho doesn't list VWs on their site.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
sillymofo wrote:

What are the part numbers on the shocks you used? Rancho doesn't list VWs on their site.

Googled "Rancho RS9000XL" for you:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Rancho+RS9000XL

Happy Easter!

Dan
brocski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I missed out on posting lots of stuff I banged out while being out of work due to the quarantine! Darn it.

Wrapped up the install of the video rear view/dash cam setup in the van the other day though. Pretty stoked I can drive with the curtains closed and still have visibility out the back/see what I'm backing into. Fittings included with this model allow you to replace the factory rear view, rather than clamp a screen to it which would have deterred me from doing this. I did have to modify the bracket a little bit, but all in all it looks pretty seamless. It fits PERFECTLY between the sun visors now too.

Link

[/img]
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
khughes wrote:
sillymofo wrote:

Googled "Rancho RS9000XL" for you:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Rancho+RS9000XL

Happy Easter!

Dan

Well thanks, but since there are many options, I wanted to see which option the OP used and how they worked out with the spring he installed. I have the *old* Van-Cafe 1.5" lift springs, and I think our ride heights are likely similar.

Happy Easter to you as well!
brocski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

...and just for the sake of sharing, two weeks post-install. The bixenon retrofit into sealed beam housings upgrade. The light output and distribution over my stock, relayed headlights is incredible. Driving with high beams on through country roads is awesome! I need to adjust the passenger side projector housing ever so slightly to make it perfectly level, but since I opted for bolting the projectors in (instead of epoxy) it's easy to handle small tweaks like this. Going to black out the chrome sealed beam bezels when I tackle that job too.

I yanked out all my AC components too if anyone around the Bay Area has a need for a full system? Condenser is coming out when I work on the headlights again soon.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 530, 531, 532 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 531 of 629

Jump to: