Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 536, 537, 538 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

RWestW wrote:
The Good: Put a small felt bad on the forward inboard corner of the stove cover and solved (maybe?) the rattle problem.

The Bad: Wiped the front stove panel where the gas knobs are with an alcohol wipe and stained the surface somehow. Any ideas for a solution would be appreciated. It does not wipe clean or come off with standard cleaner.

The Ugly: Nothing here yet, unless I don't find a way to clean up "The Bad"

Mrs fxr did The Bad in an excess of cleaning zeal. That whole piece was rusting a bit though, so when we did the complete re-furb and rust-removal last year I de-rusted it and re-sprayed with a close-coloured Rustoelum. That seems to shrug off all attempts to dull its surface. Wink
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A week or two ago I removed my 33 year old original Manchester LP tank from my '87 Westfalia and recently re-installed a brand new Manchester LP tank with all new valves and regulator myself.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't used LP gas in that Camper GL for over a decade! Well, today I got over to the local Ferrelgas vendor and had them "purge" the new tank of any air and then fill the LP tank up. It took about 2 3/4 gallons of LP before the automatic shut-off valve stopped the filling process. All is peachy!

In my best caveman impression, "I HAVE MADE FIRE" ...again!

Woooo Hoooo!

One more thing off my list of to-do's for this Vanagon!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
A week or two ago I removed my 33 year old original Manchester LP tank from my '87 Westfalia and recently re-installed a brand new Manchester LP tank with all new valves and regulator myself.

I haven't used LP gas in that Camper GL for over a decade! Well, today I got over to the local Ferrelgas vendor and had them "purge" the new tank of any air and then fill the LP tank up. It took about 2 3/4 gallons of LP before the automatic shut-off valve stopped the filling process. All is peachy!

In my best caveman impression, "I HAVE MADE FIRE" ...again!

Woooo Hoooo!

One more thing off my list of to-do's for this Vanagon!

Bill Bowman

Very Swanky.... and useful too... Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally swapped out the Snow Tires for the All Season tires.
Time for a wash and wax if it ever stops raining long enough to enjoy a just Waxed Vanagon... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just installed the 60lb vancafe (Bombay) poptop lift assist kit. DAYUM!
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started the Subaru EJ25 for the first time this evening.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got the BayWindow Jalousie slipped into the Vanagon DS window aluminum surround done. What a bunch of fussing about! Hope to slip it into place this weekend. It is pretty ugly, I just had to get it together, not get it pretty. Ended up with two washers without memory of where they came from. I think the install of the seals was the most aggravating of all the process. Resorted to drilling out 4 of the lever arms and then sliding the seals under the last one on each side. Didn't keep exact track, but I guess 16 hours on it thus far. Can't wait to see how it fights me on the install!

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Uff da... Wink

PS: Today I packed the van for another weekend of camping! I plan to replace the OG
tent front screen with Fanchers kit before leaving tomorrow...(update at eleven)... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tightened Cyl. 4 exhaust pipe connections, sneaky leak there.
Washed and Waxed the Vanagon.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally pulled the kitchen window, and installed the Jalousie. Whew!! What a long road. It does feel good to have it in, but plenty of things on my list for "next time"

Yes, I did address the rust.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Finally pulled the kitchen window, and installed the Jalousie. Whew!! What a long road. It does feel good to have it in, but plenty of things on my list for "next time"

Yes, I did address the rust.

. I’m tired just looking at it.....how many hours again..
Looks great.. Cool
Josiah510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This is my first post to The Samba after lurking for a few months and learning a lot about my “new” van. Last November I became the new owner of a 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition. My in laws were the original owners, and my wife went on family road trips in it up and down the west coast as a kid. Now we hope to do the same with our kids, but I’m wanting to get familiar with it mechanically, and make sure she’s roadworthy before heading out for some longer trips. I don’t have much experience working on cars/vans, but am good with a manual and a set of tools. Anyway, today I did my first oil change, and pressure tested the cooling system. I’ve got an oil alarm the goes off between 2000-2500 RPMs after about 10 mins of highway driving. In laws had both oil pressure switches replaced in the past year. Anyway, hoping to keep trouble shooting it. Pic is of my 4yo “helping.”

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Welcome! Carry on, and wishing you many happy miles.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

give this thread a read
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703264

Josiah510 wrote:
This is my first post to The Samba after lurking for a few months and learning a lot about my “new” van. Last November I became the new owner of a 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition. My in laws were the original owners, and my wife went on family road trips in it up and down the west coast as a kid. Now we hope to do the same with our kids, but I’m wanting to get familiar with it mechanically, and make sure she’s roadworthy before heading out for some longer trips. I don’t have much experience working on cars/vans, but am good with a manual and a set of tools. Anyway, today I did my first oil change, and pressure tested the cooling system. I’ve got an oil alarm the goes off between 2000-2500 RPMs after about 10 mins of highway driving. In laws had both oil pressure switches replaced in the past year. Anyway, hoping to keep trouble shooting it. Pic is of my 4yo “helping.”

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice looking van - and your helper has limitless potential. If her interest keeps up she'll be the person taking care of the van in ten years!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StuckinMoran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished cleaning and waxing the fiberglass, removed and cleaned under luggage rack and installed new gaskets all around the pop-top. It is (slowly) getting there!

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice work.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Josiah510 wrote:
I’ve got an oil alarm the goes off between 2000-2500 RPMs after about 10 mins of highway driving. In laws had both oil pressure switches replaced in the past year. Anyway, hoping to keep trouble shooting it. Pic is of my 4yo “helping.”

its been a while since I had a WBX but I don't remember putting 20-50 oil in it that is shown in your photo

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Aircooled van, whatever that requires.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed front door panels to access the wonderfully hidden Vent window screws. Got way more tension on the Drivers side pivot clamp, but only a bit more for the Passenger window.
At any rate , neither one slams shut at highway speed anymore, they move to close a bit, but I can live with that compared to the ‘Auto Close’ feature that they both once were with more air coming at them..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 536, 537, 538 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 537 of 630

Jump to: